Old 10-19-2013, 04:40 PM

Question 62 Catalina Convertable installation info wanted

I have kept my 62 Cat since high school (1978 ) and need to replace the top on it. I have done several complete resto's on cars and I am very handy and would like to do this myself. Its a great feeling when you can say "I did it myself". I am looking for the GM installation section on how to install the top. If anybody has any info or a scan I would be very grateful.
Thanks, Poncho Walt.

Even a blind squirrel eventually finds his nut's
Old 10-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Replacement of the top is covered in the factory body manual (there were separate manuals for the chassis, body, automatic transmission, and heating and ventilating systems.) If no one steps up with the 1962 manual the top should be the same as 1961, so I could scan the pages from my 1961 manual.

It's a tedious job to replace the top, I did it once on the '61 Bonneville convertible I used to own. I must have had the top on and off the car a half dozen times before I got straight and wrinkle-free. Just take your time and it will go okay.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:41 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the offer for the scan. I feel pretty confident that I will be able to do it like you said. I feel I have a small advantage in the old top is still on the car and will take lots of pics along the way. I will most likely be doing more convert's in the future so we I need to learn some time just like anything else on a car.

Even a blind squirrel eventually finds his nut's