Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Building some race into my street car

SO I recently moved from armpit Iowa to Daytona Beach Florida. And since moving here my car has been destroyed by the elements (I lived in a condo with no garage). Also because of the street lights, so many cars, and cops, I cant driver her like I did back up on the back roads in Iowa. So I think I am going to start taking it to the track now and then to open her up some. Im not looking to get super serious (isnt that how we all start?) but I dont want to disgrace the Pontiac community either.
The engine is a +.30 455, stock crank and rods, Eagle pistons, zero deck, 1971 #96 heads, 1.65 HS rockers, Crower 60919 cam, RPM intake, 4 tube headers, and recently rebuilt q-jet with Cliffs parts (have a T2 and a 3310 as well).
But she runs pretty good.... no complaints. Also have a TH-350 and need a new converter. Running the stocker right now.
But what else should I start looking at? I have read that I need some help with the fuel system if I run the q-jet. EVERY thing else is stock on the car is stock from 1965. Brakes, springs, shocks....etc.. Car will likely be a 70/30 street to race deal, buy you never know. But definatelty will be driving it to work and Dairy Queen now and then. Where do I start?

By the way I am in the middle of restoring it. I restore cars for a living so it wont take me long.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

your first weak link for a 455 is the stock rods,then pistons.For what you want the crank should be fine.Tom

Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok cool. Should have said too I am running a fresh 12 bolt Eaton unit with 3:42 gears and maybe some cheater slicks (just for a cool look).

When I first built the car I drove it to the track. It then had a 2:73 non posi rear. Spun very very very badly. I was in and out of it several times and it ran a 14 flat.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You already have a very decent powerplant and drivetrain. I have a very similar combo (455, 7K3 heads, Lunati 041 cam).

If I were you, I would upgrade the fuel system and torque converter. Get a reliable, high-performance fuel pump. RobbMC makes very good mechanical units.

Next, I would upgrade to a mechanical secondaries carb. Holley DP or Dominator. Q-Jets are good, but I prefer Holley's for the strip. You just floor it and it opens up.

A better torque converter will get you out of the hole faster.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The first thing I would do is go to SONNYS and order a pork plate with a huge by large ice tea.
How about a shift kit in the trans?
Play with the timing too.
If you get a chance,drive up tp Ormond Beach area on US1 and on the left side coming from Port Orange look for a place called OLANDO's and SON's.
Ask for Steve or Rossi.
They could help you out some. tell them mike from NY sent you.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nitrous oxide is always fun

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 10-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think this is how we all started.......

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 10-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to sweltering Florida !! Where the air is so humid we don't breathe it, we drink it !!
Just my 2 cents: Take the car to the strip and lay down a few runs to get a base line before making any changes.
This will also give you an idea if you need to make immediate upgrades to your fuel delivery system. If so I vote for the RobbMc pumps as another poster suggested.
Great product and even better customer service.
Keeping the changes low buck: After getting a base line I would try out the Torker 2
intake. I had a significant gain at the strip [over the RPM] with no lose of low end torque on the street. Would suggest a 1" spacer also if you have the hood clearance.
If you're satisfied with how the motor is running then start looking at chassis adjustments, ie shocks, disconnect front sway bar, etc.
Good luck. Race hard and have fun. Perhaps we'll catch up with each other now that you are in FL.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just my 2 cents on parts,yes do the fuel pump deal.
As for parts[not picking on anyone] try and buy good used parts.
I tried all types of manifolds and they [in my case] were never better than the cast iron I had cut as per Ruggles by SDPERFORMANCE.
I am just saying tyry to buy smart and don't waist a sh%t load of money on all the things that might work.
Keep checking the forums for tech info,I wish I did years ago.
Lots of good info.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GTO View Post
Just my 2 cents on parts,yes do the fuel pump deal.
As for parts[not picking on anyone] try and buy good used parts.
I tried all types of manifolds and they [in my case] were never better than the cast iron I had cut as per Ruggles by SDPERFORMANCE.
I am just saying tyry to buy smart and don't waist a sh%t load of money on all the things that might work.
Keep checking the forums for tech info,I wish I did years ago.
Lots of good info.
Excellent advise for anyone. The parts for sale forum has some good deals there. Buy parts wisely as you don't know if they are going to help you or not. And I like dealing with fellow PontiManiacs.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for all the tips so far guys. I would really like to either keep the RPM, or use a stocker because I would prefer to keep the Q-jet if I can. I put a ton of time and money in getting it right. I got the carb kit from Cliff, and the book. Never even touched one before.

But I did drive it for 4-5 years with the T2 and 3310 (and one of my 3 - 1" spacers). Ran like a scalded dawg then.
Actually what I did was drove to the track with the one legger, spun so bad it was crazy. But I tell you, once that thing hooked it was pulling like a freight train! It loved the 2:73 gear....cep for off the line of course. But just cruising at 55 mph or whatever, kick it down, it would shove you back in the seat HARD. Everyone was amazed. And I was too, for my $600 (used) engine. But I couldnt stand the spinning so I had a 12 bolt built and the Eaton with 3:42 gears went in. Drove it around for a few days and we decided to drive back to the track to see what it would do. Half way there I spun a rod bearing. So I came home, tore it down and had it rebuilt. Simple build. Rings, bearings, and a valve job. Builder said everything else looked good. But unfortunately, it hasnt been the same since. I dont know if it is the converter doesnt like it anymore or what, but it is what it is. I had no clue what the cam was, so it came out and the 60919 went in and new Rhodes max went in, in place of the original Rhodes. But anyway, I am looking forward to see what it will do now. Maybe its still fast I dont really know.

But I will definately be putting a converter in, and I could put a shift kit in too no problem. I have a slight leak from the trans, so it will need addressed either way.

And as I said, I am not looking for all out max performance, but I do want some decent numbers. I do, however, like the idea of twin turbos! A low buck junkyard type deal that I could build myself. I turboed by little 65 VW bug, so I could surely do this one too. But thats another thread entirely!

I will have to look again but it looks like Orlando is the closest track for me.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bonne View Post
Welcome to sweltering Florida !! Where the air is so humid we don't breathe it, we drink it !!
Just my 2 cents: Take the car to the strip and lay down a few runs to get a base line before making any changes.
This will also give you an idea if you need to make immediate upgrades to your fuel delivery system. If so I vote for the RobbMc pumps as another poster suggested.
Great product and even better customer service.
Keeping the changes low buck: After getting a base line I would try out the Torker 2
intake. I had a significant gain at the strip [over the RPM] with no lose of low end torque on the street. Would suggest a 1" spacer also if you have the hood clearance.
If you're satisfied with how the motor is running then start looking at chassis adjustments, ie shocks, disconnect front sway bar, etc.
Good luck. Race hard and have fun. Perhaps we'll catch up with each other now that you are in FL.

Jim
Yeah man I know that heat well. Ive been here a few years and have been working at a resto shop the whole time. Out in it... sanding and crap all day! Some days I thought I would melt, and the air so thick you could barely breath! Good times!! And im sure if it goes as planned I will end up seeing you at some event. You arent that far from me.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Orlando Speed World is for you.
Don't hate Florida weather too much,just think of the poor frozen people in the north as I did this Feb.2013, I was in Daytona and Orlando-Kissimee the whole month loving the mid 70's-low 80's while the people I left in Syracuse NY were freezing ;o)
When you work with fellow PontiManiacs-you get PontiAction.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X3 on the RobbMc fuel pump. I have the 550hp,1/2 sending unit from RobbMc and 1/2 fuel lines from inline tube and i have no fuel problems.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Suspended

The first place to go on the engine is to port the heads. If you're into doing things yourself, pick up a copy of Pete McCarthy's "Performance Porting" video. It will teach you the basics of porting those 96's out to about 280 cfm @ 28" of water or so. Port match the intake and target as best you can a 1.5 deg taper angle from the plenum to the throat of the port below the seats. Porting your heads and intake are the the best way to improve performance. Pick up Jim Hand's book. He has maximized the stock Pontiac parts drag racing engine.

Good luck with your improvements! Hooter is right, get ready for an addiction that will get in your blood. :-)

Old 10-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes Florida is awesome in the winter! I love sending pics back up Noth on Xmas with us outside in shorts and tee shirts!

Yeah I looked into the Orlando track. But DAMN! I-4 super sucks! Pulling a trailer on the weekend headed there with super duper suck! Wish they would build a drag strip at the Speedway here!!

Think the RobbMC pump will keep that Q-jet filled up ok on a hard run? I see there is a new/used 1000 hp version for sale here for $200.

Thanks Aaron, I will definately consider that. And if I remember right I have that Jim Hand book around here somewhere. i swore I bought it 6-8 years ago. Ive done quite a bit of port work on 2 stroke stuff, so I have a good idea of how it all works, just not on these engines.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtome View Post
Think the RobbMC pump will keep that Q-jet filled up ok on a hard run? I see there is a new/used 1000 hp version for sale here for $200.
Sure it will. That's a lot of pump. Good for 14psi, which is more than double you need.

I suggest you get the 550HP version (PN 1006). Can be upgraded if you ever need more pumping power.

Running a Holley 4150 850cfm on my race 455, no fuel starvation.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember taking a back road to Speed World.
From Port Orange,on Dunlawton,go under the I4 bridge,I forget the whole rout but I never took I4 to Speed World.
If ACTION PERFORMANCE is still in town,give them a call too.
I have the RobbMc 550pump also,good pump,give them a call...good people.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtome View Post
Yeah I looked into the Orlando track. But DAMN! I-4 super sucks! Pulling a trailer on the weekend headed there with super duper suck! Wish they would build a drag strip at the Speedway here!!

You can take 1-95S to exit 215 (Hwy 50) will take you straight to the track. I have a Q-jet on my Ventura and the RobbMc 550hp works great.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats true I guess there are other routes to Orlando. I have a buddy at work that runs his 68 Hemi Cuda. I was hoping to get mine done soon so I could go show him whats up. He never has a lot of good to say about Pontiacs (and we are primarily a Pontiac shop). Turns out he is running in the 9's....so I guess I wont be doing that. I thought it was a street car. I never had any trouble keeping my Holly filled, but I know the Q-jet doesnt hold as much fuel. I need to get a RobbMc mini starter anyway. SO i will grab a pump while im ordering.