Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-23-2013, 05:12 PM

Default oil pressure

here we go again
My oil temp is giong over 300* I know way to hot but still have 65 psi (85) cold
is this too much PSI oil pressure?
and yes I'm dealing with the temp too.
one guy told me I have a tight bearing making my oil temp that high so I have 3 questions ;
1) is 65 PSI warm oil pressure too much ?
2) and do I just change the oil pump spring to take car of this ?
3) if the bearing look good after I pull the mains and rod caps where do I go then ( it way too much work to pull the motor everytime )
the motor did not knock unfine tuned it still was crisp sounding .
I'm very worried about smoking this motor I have way too much money to just let it go I need to have some GOOD answers even if they are what I may not want too hear.
Thank You

Old 08-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
here we go again
My oil temp is giong over 300* I know way to hot but still have 65 psi (85) cold
is this too much PSI oil pressure?
and yes I'm dealing with the temp too.
one guy told me I have a tight bearing making my oil temp that high so I have 3 questions ;
1) is 65 PSI warm oil pressure too much ?
2) and do I just change the oil pump spring to take car of this ?
3) if the bearing look good after I pull the mains and rod caps where do I go then ( it way too much work to pull the motor everytime )
the motor did not knock unfine tuned it still was crisp sounding .
I'm very worried about smoking this motor I have way too much money to just let it go I need to have some GOOD answers even if they are what I may not want too hear.
Thank You
Did you install an oil cooler on this thing as was suggested on the last thread? 65 PSI is not too high in my opinion. I would also try a thinner oil to promote heat transfer through increased flow. I'm guessing that you run a thicker oil such as 20W50? Try a 0W40 oil like Mobil 1. If you aren't using a thick oil and you have tried an oil cooler to no avail then tear it down. Also if you have a TIGHT bearing as was suggested you really need thinner oil and need to open an oil filter to see if you have metal in it.

Karl

Old 08-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let`s see your oil pressures with rpms and at what temps. What weight oil are you running? Good answers need good info.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Without going to any other thread, is the block filled to the bottom of the freeze plugs?

Do you know what your main and rod clearances are?

After what type of use do you see high oil temps? Does it stay there or fall after 'normal' use?

This info, along with the oil you are running, and psi/rpm, are needed to make a better judgement.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-25-2013, 12:20 AM

Default answers

I do have the block filled to the botom of the freeze plugs
the oil I used was breakin 10w30 Venium oil made by Brad Penn I think .
and this temp was over 300* at just over idle trying to set the carb. not driving it.
with the electric fan running
I don't have the spec. on the clearences of the bearings .
I'm in the process of getting an oil cooler and have the motor out now so I can check the bearings .

Old 08-25-2013, 12:24 AM

Default ?

also I did open the filter there was a lot on crap in it flushed out from being a new motor.
but I didn't see metal in it

Old 08-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Who built the engine? Maybe ask them what the clearances are? Would be easier than tearing into a fresh engine.

Explain 'crap' in the filter. What kind of crap?

Where and how are you taking oil temp readings?

You have a remote oil filter setup? And headers? Is the line coming out of the block close to the headers? Take a pic and post.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was under the mistaken impression you were driving this car. You failed to mention that. If this happened during break in you just need to tear down the engine to see what caused this because it wasn't just the hard block or lack of oil flow because of thickness. If someone else built this engine they should fix it.

Karl

Old 08-25-2013, 01:54 PM

Default !

I think so to on the rebuild if something is wronghe schould take care of it but they told OH WELL you got this done too long ago and he wouldn't know what the clearences were
even tho he keeps records on this stuff .
I'm going to check the bearnings this afternoon .
I have been so disapointed in this that I haven't touched my car in over a week .
I have taken my time to do it the RIGHT WAY and not cheet on anything and have spent a boat load of money doing so .
Now CRAP dirt form what was in the motor that didn't get cleaned from hot tanking I dont think it is anything more then dirt .
when I pulled the pan it looked like mud almost in the bottom of the pan
The guy at B.O.P. told me that this is not too uncommon for the first start up.
I guess I'll know soon today.
anyone else think 65 PSI is not too much warmed up?

Old 08-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
I think so to on the rebuild if something is wronghe schould take care of it but they told OH WELL you got this done too long ago and he wouldn't know what the clearences were
even tho he keeps records on this stuff .
I'm going to check the bearnings this afternoon .
I have been so disapointed in this that I haven't touched my car in over a week .
I have taken my time to do it the RIGHT WAY and not cheet on anything and have spent a boat load of money doing so .
Now CRAP dirt form what was in the motor that didn't get cleaned from hot tanking I dont think it is anything more then dirt .
when I pulled the pan it looked like mud almost in the bottom of the pan
The guy at B.O.P. told me that this is not too uncommon for the first start up.
I guess I'll know soon today.
anyone else think 65 PSI is not too much warmed up?
Lanny,

That will depend on the bearing clearances..... If you have stock clearances, which were very tight, less than .002" on '72 Pontiacs except for special models like the 455HO then that may be slightly higher than needed but not bad. If you have upwards of two but barely then that is right where I would want it. If you have .003" or more then you need to be running 80lbs at least in my opinion.
Understand that I am no expert, these are just guidelines I have been taught through the years.

Karl

Old 08-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

65 PSI at what RPM? 65 PSI near idle is too high. 65 PSI at 6000 RPM is just right. Typically you want 20-30 PSI at 800 RPM, rising quickly as RPM increases. 10W30 oil is the basis I use for pressure behavior.

The oil pump pressure is just the pressure at which the relief system opens and vents excess pressure into the oil pan. Since the pump's output volume rises as RPM rises, that is why the pressure rises as RPM rises.

So if you've got 65 PSI at low RPM, then the bearings are too tight. High oil temps and high water temps also indicate the bearings are too tight or there is some other restriction in the oiling system.

Cut the oil filter open and look for metal shavings.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25