Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to 65GTOfan Send a message via Yahoo to 65GTOfan
Default Looking for a transplant shop

I have a neighbor who has an LS2/4L65E engine/trans from a 2006 GTO and a Muscle Rods installation kit and Hedman Headers for a `64 Tempest chassis. He needs to find a shop in the North Georgia area (or Tennessee, or North/South Carolina that can perform the installation. The owner of the car is wheelchair bound and gathered all the parts before a stroke ended his wrenching days. the `64 is in outstanding shape and I can transport it for him.
Can anyone recommend an experienced shop with experience on this type pf work in this region?
The only shop near him told him that they would not install any parts they did not sell, and he would have to sell his stuff so they could gouge him with their overpriced stuff. The good news is since they tried to sucker him, they have now gone out of business. This guy isn't rich, but he is in a bind with a project that he would dearly love to see through to completion.
Thanks for any help/info that is available.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try Fountain's Auto Upholstery in Ellijay, Ga. The name is misleading as they do it all. They are curently building a 55 Nomad wagon for a friend of mine using a modern drive train. The owner's name is Sanford Fountain and his number is (706) 276-1957. Tell him Phil from Leesburg with the 67 GTO convertible recommended him.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You may want to suggest him ro use the mast oil pan. Has the best clearance for the frame from what I have researched.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GTS Customs is just up I 985 from him in Cornelia, GA. Owned by Brian Williams and his father, Jerry Williams. Excellent fabricators and they have done both engine swaps of this kind and original restos of early GTO's that have earned Gold at GTOAA Nats. If you can't find their phone #, PM me, I've got it on my other computer.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 08-24-2013, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to 65GTOfan Send a message via Yahoo to 65GTOfan

Thanks for the tips on a transplant shop. The owner is contacting both of them for help. Today I am going to remove a 455 with (66 GTO) tri-power, factory air, and a Close ratio Muncie 4 spd. from the car that the LS2 is going into.
I think he is going to sell that stuff soon to help pay the costs downline.
I drove the car with the powertrain I am going to remove, and it was a torque MONSTER.