Old 08-07-2013, 11:38 AM

Unhappy 63 TempesTorque "Park" Selection...?

Ok guys, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm a kid and still trying to figure this car out. Its very different from any other car I've had experience with, (Mostly second gen F-bodies).

So, that being said; how the heck do I put this thing in park!? I googled it, but only found one answer for floor shifters, and mine is on the dash. I've tried wiggling it around in each gear and the closest I've come is in L where the shifter will actually turn side to side. I'm so lost. Please, someone help me....

What is mostly a 74 Grand Am
455 / TH400
Old 08-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You have 2 trans cables. 1 for park, 1 for gear changes. Moving the shift handle (in P position) to the left engages the park cable. Sometimes they are stuck or very stiff.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Banshee View Post
You have 2 trans cables. 1 for park, 1 for gear changes. Moving the shift handle (in P position) to the left engages the park cable. Sometimes they are stuck or very stiff.
Ok, cause that's what I thought first but it wouldn't budge so I figured I was wrong. I guess its just super stiff, the car was sitting for almost 10 years in neutral when I bought it.
Thanks!

What is mostly a 74 Grand Am
455 / TH400
Old 08-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've bought cars from guys that didn't know PARK was possible. They just used the p-brake for years and years.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Banshee View Post
I've bought cars from guys that didn't know PARK was possible. They just used the p-brake for years and years.
That might be me.

I'm going to have to take another look at my car.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 08-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IIRC & correct me if I'm wrong,,,,with the 63's put the shift lever in neutral, then move the lever to the left to engage "park".

POCI.org
Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 63 park engagement

Keith is correct. Once you get to "neutral", move the lever left with a slight upward motion.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
IIRC & correct me if I'm wrong,,,,with the 63's put the shift lever in neutral, then move the lever to the left to engage "park".
P and N are across from each other with the red indicator between. The indicator doesn't differentiate between the 2. Shift lever position does that.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Shift Pattern

It's a backwards sideways "J" pattern.

These cars when new had a cardboard tag hanging off the shifter. It showed the pattern and explained how to move it to Neutral then lift and guide it left over the hump to put it in park.

Pretty sure I still have mine from the Tempest we bought new in Sept. 62. I remember taking it off carefully so it wouldn't tear and putting it away with the radio delete plate (Still have that too!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Park Shift pattern.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	332497  

Old 08-15-2013, 11:28 PM

I posed the same question on this board some time in the past. This is what I was told and it worked/works great for me:
On a car where park hasn't been used for a long time, it will not want to go there from neutral.
Put the transmission in second gear, then push to the left and upward. After the lever crests over the top, it will go down and to the left, settling into park.
I was told that over time it should get a little easier.
I have found that sometimes it still doesn't want to go all the way to the left. Rocking the car just a tiny bit moves the gears just enough for it to pop into place.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 AM
Senior Chief

I've had the same problem with my car. I've had it into park a couple of times now but it is still very hard, I hope it gets easier with time.