Old 08-01-2013, 10:14 PM

Default Rookie exhaust question: glass pack vs magna flow mufflers

Sorry new to muscle car world, lots of rookie questions. i have '71 LeMans 350 ci. i am looking to replace exhaust from the mufflers back, 2 1/4 pipe. Whats the differnce between using glass pack vs magna flow or flowmaster? Engine is totally stock w/ 2 bbl not looking to do any real high performance upgrades yet. Just want a good sound on the cheap. thanx for the help

Old 08-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PY owner also owns PYPES, who makes complete systems, mufflers and more for these cars.

Their site has short sound clips so you can compare, link below.

Their is a section on here for EXHAUST where you will find a lot of similar questions in past threads, in main index or;

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...play.php?f=422

Not sure of your age, but personally would not do glass packs on anything....lol

I would go with performance or stock sounding mufflers....will sound much better, imo/e.

PYPES has their own line and three different levels of mufflers you can buy separate, iirc.

Website;

http://www.pypesexhaust.com/

Muffler Sound clips here:

http://www.pypesexhaust.com/sounds-gm-abody.html

Old 08-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For the love of god, stay away from glasspacks..!

Pontiac engines sounds wicked with the right mufflers. I used Magnaflows, now Pypes Street-Pros on my 72 GTO. Stock 400 with a 068 cam.

Magnaflows are 'mellower'. They have a nice rumble. Pypes are more agressive. They have more 'crackle', but not enough that its annoying.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I can see the carbesides of a Pontiac of course) A 63 Impala with satin black paint,a set of American Racing Wheels and GLASSPACKS.Mama,I`m home!!

Old 08-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Pypes Street Pro system with "X" pipe sounds awesome on my very mild low compression 400. It is not the cheapest system on the market but since the whole thing is stainless steel including the Pypes band clamps I also bought I can remove the system easily when and not damage it when the car finally gets a frame off restoration. I won't ever have to buy another exhaust system for the GT-37.

Click on thjis link to hear what the Pypes Street Pro Stainless Steel system sounds like on my 1971 GT-37

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.