Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Source for return line?

About to switch over from a deadheaded Holley Black to an HP 150 with a return line. Anybody know a good source for a 1/2 inch return line for a 65 GTO? Feed line is 1/2 and I have heard the return should be at least as large as the feed.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Summit Racing has rolled coils of 1/2 aluminum fuel line, if you would like to make your own.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Keith. Yeah I just ordered from Inline tube. I am going to pay a shop to do this job so rather than pay them to bend tube and such I'll just cross my fingers that the pre-bent stuff fits fairly well and saves them some time.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Suspended

Contact Cliff Ruggles he is running i believe blue line with push on fittings, super nice stuff to use. Remember return should be bigger than suction line. Ask me how i found out.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cruiser View Post
Contact Cliff Ruggles he is running i believe blue line with push on fittings, super nice stuff to use. Remember return should be bigger than suction line. Ask me how i found out.
I just placed the order so it's a little late to un-order the line. I was going to use the same size return as supply, 1/2 inch both ways. What setup caused you problems?

Old 07-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Suspended

using 1/2 braided suction & return,loosing fuel pressure, Called Mallory switched to no. 10 return, never a issue after that!! Switched to Robb Mac. pick-up also. Everything works super now.Biggest improvmant had to be the sumped tank. WOW! what a differance. I believe if you go to Mallorys hot line it states one size bigger for the retrun.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cruiser View Post
using 1/2 braided suction & return,loosing fuel pressure, Called Mallory switched to no. 10 return, never a issue after that!! Switched to Robb Mac. pick-up also. Everything works super now.Biggest improvmant had to be the sumped tank. WOW! what a differance. I believe if you go to Mallorys hot line it states one size bigger for the retrun.
Would you mind saying more about the sump? I don't race and I wanted a stock appearance so I was really trying to avoid it. Still it seems like that is ideal for an electric setup. Can you run your tank more or less dry just street driving with the sump? Any other issues?

I think I will try the 1/2 inch hard lines both ways for now, I am surprised to hear you had problems that way. I guess mainly because I already ordered it ...

Old 07-22-2013, 04:05 PM

I run 1/2" lines forward and back with a Robb mc regulator. Mallory 140 pump pulling from robbmc pickup. I have an electric pressure gauge in my dash and it never creeps up or floods set at 6.5psi on my qjet.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownTA View Post
I run 1/2" lines forward and back with a Robb mc regulator. Mallory 140 pump pulling from robbmc pickup. I have an electric pressure gauge in my dash and it never creeps up or floods set at 6.5psi on my qjet.
Where does the return line come out in your tank? I was thinking of using this kit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-65385

Old 07-22-2013, 05:56 PM

I have the Robb mc 1/2" sending unit for my tank with -8 fittings on the in and out.

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/pro...76_gmsend.html

I ran a flex hose from the sending unit to a filter to the pump then another flex hose to the hard line that runs alone my frame. The return just goes the other way back to the tank from the regulator that's mounted on my inner fender.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownTA View Post
I have the Robb mc 1/2" sending unit for my tank with -8 fittings on the in and out.

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/pro...76_gmsend.html

I ran a flex hose from the sending unit to a filter to the pump then another flex hose to the hard line that runs alone my frame. The return just goes the other way back to the tank from the regulator that's mounted on my inner fender.
Cool thanks. I read somewhere it was better to plumb into the filler tube than back into the sending unit, something about agitating the gas in the tank next to the pickup being bad. It sounds to me like you haven't had any problems at all.

You can read so much about this stuff and still never find all the answers you are looking for!