Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hill Performance CV-1 Update

All of this CV-1 “why it hasn’t” crap is getting really old. I’ve worked more sets of CV-1 heads than any other person and here is where they are.

Quinn / Fusion head- On his car, has not made a single engine change since he put them on, same cam, flat top pistons on a 484ci engine, 8.70’s

Robin / Quest head- Was put on his car, had major trouble getting the car to hook down the track, ran 174 MPH, car sitting as he is busy with work and life.

BA Racing / Quest head- Car showed promise in the limited time out, around 25 passes, had block failure and switched to SBC based on cost.

BADTA / Quest head- Build in process for other three years, will be a power adder killa when complete.

TM / Quest head#1 - Super charger build, had major health issues and had to put build on hold, heads sold to Carl455.

TM / Quest head#2- Upgraded to race plates this past year with new castings, build back in the process, health issue are much better now.

Carl455 / Quest head- 505ci NA build in process.

Milepost / Fusion head- 512ci NA build, had health issues and sold his heads to S/st54, sold his other Pontiac stuff.

Bruce Driggers / Quest head- 525 NA build, on about the 5th pass, the engine hurt a lifter, racing back up car while CV-1 engine is on hold due to funds.

PontSD / Fusion head- 535ci pump gas street motor, made 811 HP on dyno, car in restoration process.

JDW / Quest head- Twin Turbo in process and will soon bust azz.

Warped / Cast with minor blending- 505ci E85 build, made mid 800HP on dyno, not installed in car.

BadGTO / Quest head- 565ci NA bracket build, made 880HP on dyno, best ET 5.98 @115 in 1/8 @ 3600lbs, has made six passes on engine first time out. This car will run low 9's as a heavy weight.

MA / Quest with convertible ex- 505ci Turbo street build, in process.

MM / Race Shop head- 535ci bracket build, just starting short block work.

KP/ Quest head- 525ci bracket build, old engine made 820HP with KRE HP’s, this one will show good comparison. Should have dyno and track results in the next few weeks.

Tom Syron / Quest head- 511ci NA, in process, was hoping to make Norwalk, but will be out later this season. This build has the most potential of any of my CV-1 builds to date, may have to bring this one to Cecil in November.

I know there are a few more, most are as cast style heads with minimal work. I have also helped a few others with parts, but have not worked the heads.

Out of around 20 sets of heads I’ve worked with, not one has committed the money to make as much power as possible.

Excluding the work Marcella has put into the Pro Ports, where are they? I commend John for his efforts with his heads and I'm sure if John put that same effort in the CV's, he would be making big power with them.

If I spent the time working on development and trying to maximize a combination vs the time I've spent getting customer work out the door, maybe we would have cracked 1000 HP by now.

So where are all of the other Pro-Port heads at?

Where are the McCarty V heads at?

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 07-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So what you are saying is that out of the 20 sets of heads that were done, none of them have accomplished anything???

Old 07-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Langer View Post
So what you are saying is that out of the 20 sets of heads that were done, none of them have accomplished anything???
Can you not read?

20 sets of heads and only a handful of runs down the track. You more than anyone knows it takes a bunch of time testing and changes to make **** work. How many cam shafts, torque converters, transmissions, gear swaps, carb changes ect have you made to get you **** to work.

It takes a certain level of commitment that only a few in the Pontiac community have.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 07-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Suspended

Calvin,
Listen there are only a few 6 or 7 that hate everything that isn't the E-Head. the E-Head is a Dinosaur head based on a million year old Iron Pontiac head, hell Marty made power with a Iron head so it doesn't take much to make a E-Head run OK.........noticed I said only OK. There are thousand of Pontiac racers out there, ignore the few and lets see what happens at Norwalk to the few......probably not much. CV, Warp, New RAV, hell maybe even the KRE hemi and what ever else someone can come up with .............thats the future of Pontiacs not a Million year old design!! CV will have its day. remember the two Quickest cars out there DON'T have E-Heads on them (N/A the Warp head - Mark Kauffman, Non-N/A the Tiger head - the Goatous Maximum or something like that)!

GTO George

Old 07-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO View Post
All of this CV-1 “why it hasn’t” crap is getting really old. I’ve worked more sets of CV-1 heads than any other person and here is where they are.

Out of around 20 sets of heads I’ve worked with, not one has committed the money to make as much power as possible.

Excluding the work Marcella has put into the Pro Ports, where are they? I commend John for his efforts with his heads and I'm sure if John put that same effort in the CV's, he would be making big power with them.

If I spent the time working on development and trying to maximize a combination vs the time I've spent getting customer work out the door, maybe we would have cracked 1000 HP by now.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420
[quote=John Langer;4978677]So what you are saying is that out of the 20 sets of heads that were done, none of them have accomplished anything???[/quote]

I don't race anymore. I was running low 10's back in the mid eighties when Pontiacs were built using Pontiac parts. I can't afford a 30k+ latest, greatest motor and I'm sure most people who post here can't either. To say the CV1 people have accomplished nothing if they haven't committed to an all out, money is no object effort is wrong. That's the kind of attitude that makes me think I should throw my M/T hemi heads in the scrap pile because I cannot afford to set the all time Pontiac record with them and that seems to be what is expected of every new build here. Can't we appreciate someone's effort with new technology without putting them down?
I look forward to seeing some new RA V builds and if they run 8's or 7's they will still be cool.
Of course I would really like to see Steve B. put a M/T Hemi headed '59 Pontiac block motor in his fuel car and show everyone what "old school" Pontiac technology can do. I think if he gets it right, he will own the quickest and fastest Pontiac on the planet.

JMO,
Rob...

Old 07-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Calvin,
Listen there are only a few 6 or 7 that hate everything that isn't the E-Head. the E-Head is a Dinosaur head based on a million year old Iron Pontiac head, hell Marty made power with a Iron head so it doesn't take much to make a E-Head run OK.........noticed I said only OK. There are thousand of Pontiac racers out there, ignore the few and lets see what happens at Norwalk to the few......probably not much. CV, Warp, New RAV, hell maybe even the KRE hemi and what ever else someone can come up with .............thats the future of Pontiacs not a Million year old design!! CV will have its day. remember the two Quickest cars out there DON'T have E-Heads on them (N/A the Warp head - Mark Kauffman, Non-N/A the Tiger head - the Goatous Maximum or something like that)!

GTO George
lol. i don't hate the cv1 head. you guys are too serious. this is the internet. take it that way and everything will be fine!!!!!!

We laugh every night.. people do not run there businesses on message forums.

EIC does not, ALL PONTIAC does not, BES does not,butler performance does not, etc!!!!!

get my point!!

you will get positive and negative feedback even if it was the fastest head in the pontiac community.

live with it and use it as motivation!!!!

EHTTFMF

First ultra street/ultimate street NOS car to get into the 4's!
1.079 4.559 153.23.
3100 lbs
7.77 @ 169 1/4 Mile (2015) with EHTTFMF!!
T2TTFMF!

Special Thanks to:
Ron at Rhodes Custom Auto
Butler Peformance
Jim Hostler's Transmissions (HOSGTO) on here
Induction Solutions
BES Racing Engines.
Cheeseburger
VP Racing Fuels
Calvert Racing
Old 07-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
people do not run there businesses on message forums.
But the forums affect their businesses quite a bit.
(especially negativity, no one remembers the positive stuff)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 07-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
But the forums affect their businesses quite a bit.
(especially negativity, no one remembers the positive stuff)

that's the internet for ya!!!

hey, who says i won't run a nitrous cv combo after someone PROVES they are better than what i have now!!

1.079 4.559 153.23.
3100 lbs
T2TTFMF!

Special Thanks to:
Butler Peformance
Induction Solutions
BES Racing Engines.
Cheeseburger
VP Racing Fuels
Calvert Racing
Old 07-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Quinn / Fusion head- On his car, has not made a single engine change since he put them on, same cam, flat top pistons on a 484ci engine, 8.70’s

Robin / Quest head- Was put on his car, had major trouble getting the car to hook down the track, ran 174 MPH, car sitting as he is busy with work and life.

BA Racing / Quest head- Car showed promise in the limited time out, around 25 passes, had block failure and switched to SBC based on cost.

BADTA / Quest head- Build in process for other three years, will be a power adder killa when complete.

TM / Quest head#1 - Super charger build, had major health issues and had to put build on hold, heads sold to Carl455.

TM / Quest head#2- Upgraded to race plates this past year with new castings, build back in the process, health issue are much better now.

Carl455 / Quest head- 505ci NA build in process.

Milepost / Fusion head- 512ci NA build, had health issues and sold his heads to S/st54, sold his other Pontiac stuff.

Bruce Driggers / Quest head- 525 NA build, on about the 5th pass, the engine hurt a lifter, racing back up car while CV-1 engine is on hold due to funds.

PontSD / Fusion head- 535ci pump gas street motor, made 811 HP on dyno, car in restoration process.

JDW / Quest head- Twin Turbo in process and will soon bust azz.

Warped / Cast with minor blending- 505ci E85 build, made mid 800HP on dyno, not installed in car.

BadGTO / Quest head- 565ci NA bracket build, made 880HP on dyno, best ET 5.98 @115 in 1/8 @ 3600lbs, has made six passes on engine first time out. This car will run low 9's as a heavy weight.

MA / Quest with convertible ex- 505ci Turbo street build, in process.

MM / Race Shop head- 535ci bracket build, just starting short block work.

KP/ Quest head- 525ci bracket build, old engine made 820HP with KRE HP’s, this one will show good comparison. Should have dyno and track results in the next few weeks.

Tom Syron / Quest head- 511ci NA, in process, was hoping to make Norwalk, but will be out later this season. This build has the most potential of any of my CV-1 builds to date, may have to bring this one to Cecil in November.

I know there are a few more, most are as cast style heads with minimal work. I have also helped a few others with parts, but have not worked the heads.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420
Will that 511 be at Cordova this fall?
Looks like you've been busy cranking out engines/heads!

Old 07-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Calvin, Quest head........ Fusion head.......... etc.

I think the E-head, Tiger, High port people are waiting for the Star Trek head.

The one that is going where no man has boldly gone before.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Calvin-

Any small cubic inch combos...46x?

Old 07-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kinsler View Post
lol. i don't hate the cv1 head. you guys are too serious. this is the internet. take it that way and everything will be fine!!!!!!

EIC does not, ALL PONTIAC does not, BES does not,butler performance does not, etc!!!!!

get my point!!

you will get positive and negative feedback even if it was the fastest head in the pontiac community.

EHTTFMF
Jeff,

Lets hear how fast you went the first time you put your Butler wide ports on???

When you did, did you get internet blasts each week because you only made so much power???? I have nothing but respect for what the Butlers and Kauffmans have done to move the Pontiac community forward. The select few and yes YOU are one of them that has a hard on for this product. Is it for everyone, no, but for some, it seems to be what they want.

You and Jack have been the ones to continue to shoot the product down because it hasn't eclipsed your power level. YET. If you are really that good and are the number one E-head nut hugger, why don't you build a NHRA S.S Pontiac with E-heads and see how you fair against the best of the best.

All it will take is a call to BES just like your current stuff.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 07-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Will that 511 be at Cordova this fall?
Looks like you've been busy cranking out engines/heads!
Brian,

It should be, not that far away, but we have decided to upgrade a few more things.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 07-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
that's the internet for ya!!!

hey, who says i won't run a nitrous cv combo after someone PROVES they are better than what i have now!!
Roland Racing.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 07-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE View Post
Calvin, Quest head........ Fusion head.......... etc.

I think the E-head, Tiger, High port people are waiting for the Star Trek head.
The one that is going where no man has boldly gone before.
I agree Ken.

If anyone should have a hard on about this product it should be you. You were the first to support it and used it, things didn't work out and I'm sure it cost you in the end. I still don't think it's the product, I think it was the BS at the time.

If I can't make this head work to the level I expect, I'll find out and learn from it, until then I'm going to keep supporting my customers who want to use it.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 07-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

get my point!!

EHTTFMF
The internet is a fickle mistress. If you rely on it to showcase and market your product you will get the good with the bad.

Jeff, good viewpoints. But I would add KRE as well. Regardless, if it was deserved or not, KRE got a lot of negative press on here, as did BES on the TT build and Butler got crap in the past from some haters as well. I think the key difference is that all the mentioned have in-house rolling and racing test beds and marketing tools along with racers they sponsor or support...All-Pontiac, KRE, Butler, BES, Marcella and even EIC with the Jimmy Jammel (sp?) early on. None get on here to defend or argue, they go on with their business and use their race programs to showcase results.

Now please keep in mind that this " showcasing on their race cars" is like halo marketing. They build a very fast race car that few of their potential customers can afford but that audience will buy the products anyway, even if they are not the high level products. Think..."win on sunday, sell on Monday" the OEMs use.

Lastly, I realize the CV1s counted on the Internet to be a key recognition and marketing strategy. Unfortunately they had an, ehemmmm, "advocate" that may have put aggressive expectation out and then turned on them (and that does continue to this day). Again, good with the bad if you rely primarily on the Internet.

One last example. I have a friend that owns and manages a higher end restaurant in midtown Mamhattan. He has been a successful restauranteur for 20+ years. He has a loyal client base that he can count on for ongoing business and referrals. He mentioned to me that he spends quite a bit if his time battling unfair or one-sided reviews from people posting on the Internet. Now no one is going to satisfy everyone and there are many hidden agendas, but when that family of tourists comes in from Iowa and they check his restaurant for reviews, the negatives can cost him business.

Now I will go out to the garage because the big brown truck left a big box for me yesterday.

Last edited by GTO Dan; 07-20-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Roland Racing.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420
well that's his stupid fault..

THAT'S GREAT BUSINESS PRACTICE!!!!

lmfao

1.079 4.559 153.23.
3100 lbs
T2TTFMF!

Special Thanks to:
Butler Peformance
Induction Solutions
BES Racing Engines.
Cheeseburger
VP Racing Fuels
Calvert Racing
Old 07-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Jeff,

When you did, did you get internet blasts each week because you only made so much power???? I have nothing but respect for what the Butlers and Kauffmans have done to move the Pontiac community forward. The select few and yes YOU are one of them that has a hard on for this product. Is it for everyone, no, but for some, it seems to be what they want.

You and Jack have been the ones to continue to shoot the product down because it hasn't eclipsed your power level. YET. If you are really that good and are the number one E-head nut hugger, why don't you build a NHRA S.S Pontiac with E-heads and see how you fair against the best of the best.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420
Calvin - I don't personally know Jeff or Jack but I take their banter as friendly racer trash talking. I see no agenda or effort to hurt your product. They just want to race and have fun. Honestly, if you heads prove to be better, I think they would run them and keep trash talking. Now whether or not you would sell them a set is another story.

Last edited by GTO Dan; 07-20-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO72
Jeff,

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420
again lmfao.. i think the edelbrock heads are ok, but I have never said they were the best. im not dumb... just cause i always post EHTTFMF (which is just to f with people) doesn't mean anything.

i RACE against ALL BRANDS in ultra street.

no thanks about building an nhra s.s pontiac.. why don't you build one??

i have said to you on the phone that the cv1s will be fast someday!! have i not??

BES has NEVER ported or enhanced my e heads or intake that gaby did!!!!
Tony fixed my oiling problem and has done my machine ever since..

1.079 4.559 153.23.
3100 lbs
T2TTFMF!

Special Thanks to:
Butler Peformance
Induction Solutions
BES Racing Engines.
Cheeseburger
VP Racing Fuels
Calvert Racing
Old 07-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO Dan View Post
Calvin - I don't personally know Jeff or Jack but I take their banter as friendly racer trash talking. I see no agenda or effort to hurt your product. They just want to race and have fun. Honestly, if you heads prove to be better, I think they would run them and keep trash talking. Now whether or not you would sell them a set is another story.
thank you!!!!!!!

stop making sense...

1.079 4.559 153.23.
3100 lbs
T2TTFMF!

Special Thanks to:
Butler Peformance
Induction Solutions
BES Racing Engines.
Cheeseburger
VP Racing Fuels
Calvert Racing