Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 PM

Default No tail lights or instrument lights (66 Bonneville)

Guys,

A week or so ago, I did some work to my headlight switch and headlight switch connector. All was good, or so I thought. Recently, the instrument lights and tail lights quit working. I have headlights, turn signals, and brake lights. My meter shows zero volts at the instrument fuse. I checked all the wires at the headlight switch connector, and they seem good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
John Thomas

Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is supplying voltage to the instrument fuse? You may have a bad connection at the bulkhead connector

Old 04-05-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
What is supplying voltage to the instrument fuse? You may have a bad connection at the bulkhead connector
Voltage appears to be supplied to the fuse connector by a brown wire with white stripe. This wire comes from the headlight switch. Everything else from the switch appears to be working (headlights, dome light, turn signals, brake lights)... just no instrument lights or tail lights.

John Thomas

Old 04-06-2013, 06:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you do a continuity test on the wire to see if it is OK?
Check to see if the switch is supplying voltage to it.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:31 AM

Hello,

I have good continuity on the wire. I'm not getting any voltage. I've tried two different switches (one is NOS).

Also, can anyone confirm if that fuse (labeled "Instruments") affects both the instrument lights and the tail lights? (Do I have two separate problems or only one?)

Thank you very much!
John Thomas

Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you try putting power to it to see if everything actually works?

Are you sure that it is a switch for a B body? An A body switch is different but will plug right in.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Hi,

I kept messing around with the connector at the headlight switch and I now have good solid tail lights. I may or may not have instrument lights. It's too hard to see if they are on or not with the daytime sun.

Thanks for the help,
John Thomas

Old 04-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a rookie mistake I made when I thought I had no instrument lights: Someone had turned the rheostat for the lights way down, hence no instrument lights !! That was a real Homer Simpson "DOH" when I finally realized what happened.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Run yourself a ground wire to the dash bezel from a KNOWN good ground on the fuse block or firewall. There are a bunch of nuts that hold it on back behind the dash where you can attach. Clean one up and attach to that. You will be amazed at the result. Over time corrosion looseness etc. make the bezel a lousy source for Gnd.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress