Old 03-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Video of first start on my 67 GTO.

Hi,
If you're interested in arcane amateur GTO stuff,
My son put up a horribly edited GO-PRO video of me starting my GTO for the first time since it's ongoing resto. My neighbor was there too (he's an excellent motorhead neighbor)
It's about 5 minutes long. Spare yourself and skip the first couple of minutes unless you like watching an engine not catch.

It captures the very first start and "pop". The last couple minutes we take a spin around the block.

The motor is not rebuilt, but I did take it completely apart to inspect and re-seal. The trans was rebuilt and the rear end was partially re-done as well. A lot to road test!

I put the wrong intake gaskets on (doh) and it's got a huge exhaust leak on the crossover. Dang. New gaskets on order. The power steering wasn't bled either. Noisy.
Unfortunately, my audio was clipping horribly too. I'll post again with correctly leveled audio to get the sound of the nice 2.5 Pypes X with Dynomax 17749's.

The carb is an ancient never-been-rebuilt-73Olds-carb that I've had for 25 years. It's been dry for many years and didn't quite yield optimum idling. It has a couple classic vac lines with screws in them for plugs. It was one of those that popped off at the first start.

I'm going to place an order with Cliff's Performance for a rebuild kit for another, better Olds carb I have, and I hope to have it running like a champ soon. Gotta do my homework first though, and detail what I need for the carb rebuild.

It was a THRILL to drive this, even for a few moments and stinky burning paint and exhaust pipe oils. It shifted and drove so nice with the 4 speed. Can't wait to take it for a long drive.

http://youtu.be/XBXE9jS8Rk0

Yes, it's a weird link with the tu.be in it....donno why....youtube is weird.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome! I can't wait to do the first start and drive of my GTO!

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 AM

Aaah, I love the smell of paint and oil on the first run of an engine! Enjoyed the ride, and I too, made the mistake of installing the wrong intake gasket on the passenger side. Car looks great! is that silverglaze?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is a very nice looking car and a convertible my favorite. I guess you turned off the video for the tire smoking portion of the ride?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Close ratio Muncie box? Love the sound of those gears.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool video! Maiden voyage at night with snow on the ground. You've made a lot of progress since I saw the car last summer Dave, it looks great (of course I'm partial to Linden Green I'm still amazed you did all the work yourself, including all the fabrication, in your garage. Hope to have a chance to visit with you again.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Haha.
tire smoking: No, no tire smoking yet...the carb just wouldn't let me.

Trans noise: It's an 1967 M20 with I think original gears. It's funny, my neighbor (in the video), a corvette guy, noticed the same thing...he said the gears make the M22 noise. (I think that's what he said). I did put in Torq sliders into it...but they should not make any noise. Don't know...I've never owned or driven a Muncie before. (this was a TH400 car)

Car is Linden Green. It is funny that the Silverglaze and Linden Green are easily confused in pictures.....

Intake gaskets: I used the wrong one on the passenger side, then threw the others away (from the gasket kit) thinking I just save too many things, I gotta throw some stuff away.

Gator: Yes, the car has come a long way since you saw the basic shell. Still loads of work to do. I am polishing the miles of stainless steel now. That's the awesome thing and terrible thing about 67 GTO's...the acres of stainless trim. I just bought a polisher and Maguiars pads and polishes for the cut and buff. I've put this job off too long.

I'll post again with the next significant update.

Thanks for comments forum-dudes

Old 03-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I heard you on the video say "Oh ya" , that pretty much says it all.

Congratulations, there is no feeling like that.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good stuff! Congrats!

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 AM
Senior Chief

Cant wait for the next video, daytime with maybe a little rubber being burnt, Looks great

Michael Hughes Sr
1966 GTO Convertable: Stolen never recovered
1966 GTO Hard Top .30 over 455 4-Speed 3:23 Posi
Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's an update:
My car has come along pretty well. Still not finished with top or interior, but I've got it on the road. It's amazing how the shiny stuff really makes the car look good.

My wife gave me a huge surprise and bought a set of red line radial tires. I was going to keep the old BFG T/A's, but she knew I've always wanted redlines.

I put on the original bumpers since my budget was strained by having to put all new gears into the Muncie.

The Pypes X system with the long case walker turbos sounds really good. I'm very happy my mods to the Pypes system got it tucked up nice.

The car is really nice to drive...no drone at all and you can carry on a conversation easily. I will put up another post when I can take another ride with my son taking a "GoPro" video. I also want to record the exhaust.
So yes, it's no hot rod, but it's fun to drive. I'll have fun breaking in the new tranny gears.
I want to say too how much this forum has been a help during the resto. I've been on these forums for just about 10 years!
Dave

Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The car is beautiful Dave. The pics really show off the lines that make this car so well designed. Nice work!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful!!

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 07-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WELL DONE!

Old 07-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very cool, at least you had doors on for your first fireup. Nothing like that feeling of having her move under her own power for the first time. Irgoatmike

Old 07-05-2013, 03:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

AWESOME, GREAT job on the car looks Beautiful.

67 Nova
64 Nova