67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 68 firebird paint information

I would like to start gathering some information on what paint colors were used on the 68 Firebirds. I'm thinking of the areas other then the main body.

Does someone have a good link that provides this information or a thread covering it.

I would like information on floor pans ( top and underside). Underside of hood and trunk. Inside fenders and inner fenders. Springs and other suspension parts. Brake drums and axel. Steering components. Brake booster and master cylinder. Alternator, engine bolts ( wp, manifold, timing cover pulley).

Was wondering if the under body floor pans painted the color of the body originally before undercoating went on. I scrapped some undercoating off of the floor pans and found the original paint color on a lot of the pans.

I'm sure I will come up with some more as we work on this thread.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i think they have a book about - how to restore your 1st Gen Camaro - or 1st Gen Camaro Resto Guide. All but the engine will be the same guidelines from same build plants.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

well, here is a chip chart for the exterior.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-PONTIAC...774#vi-content

As far as the rest of the car -

Underhood is originally a chalky flat black. It got that way because the assembly line had bad paint, but if you want to get nuts about a restoration, you need to have it like that.

The rest of the underhood parts are 60% gloss black or satin. Over spray was a common thing on the line as well so don't sweat it too much between paint blends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-03-26 at 1.14.29 PM.png
Views:	36
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	317631