THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Undefeated - The Toughest Bridge in the World

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3c0_1351184890

Old 03-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Suspended

Darn, I didn't want it to end. Is that wrong? I felt bad for the camper owners though.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Boost Engineer

Homework would eliminate a lot of the "Dumb Aszs" who tore up their Campers, etc.

Saw a lot of inexperienced people in Rental Trucks (who now have a big bill to pay).

Saw a few Truck Drivers who obviously had no experience with how tall their Trailers really were.

Lucky that more cars behind them were not hurt by the debris or by the trucks being jammed under
the bridge and stopping quickly in front of them.

Saw a lady get killed by a large Dump Truck whose ram failed and the box was 6" too high.
He jammed under the bridge and the lady ran right into the wedged box, killing her in her small import car.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Senior Chief

Read the signs!
And know the height of your vehicle!
Put a piece of tape on the dash with the vehicle height to remind you. IDIOTS!!

Old 03-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can totally see myself doing that.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm perplexed. MOST box trucks HAVE their heights POSTED in sight of the rear view mirrors. Can't people READ anymore?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would have liked to see a camera on the other side of the bridge getting the drivers reaction.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put a post-it note with the truck height right on the speedometer for anyone who drives our tall trucks around. That way when they say they didnt see the height sticker I tell them "Well, that means you weren't watching your speed either!"

Old 03-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Senior Chief

The guy with the camper is beyond stupid, he seemed to be aware of the problem but tried to fix it by going slow and easy thru.......
Got one of thos bridges in the nearby town of Norrkoping. Many truck drivers miss both the warningsigns and lights....

Old 03-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Chicago is world famous for their low bridges.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stupid is as stupid does !!

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
I can totally see myself doing that.
One honest person. One.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

All that damage and all they had to do is read a damn sign.

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 03-10-2013, 01:31 AM
Senior Chief

I saw that video shortly after we bought a travel trailer and it scared the hell out of me. Dutchmen lists the exterior height of the trailer at 11' 4". Being a natural cynic, I measured the height myself and came up with 11' 7" at the top of the A/C unit. It is the original unit. Keep in mind that this is a travel trailer and not a 5th wheel camper (which is higher yet). I'd urge anyone with a camper to measure the actual height themselves just to make sure.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 03-10-2013, 07:00 AM

Unhappy authorities fail !

If there are this many accidents at this point , take care of it.
re-engineer the situation , this is just ridiculous.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well all the years I drove a truck they had the height on the winshield or on the dash. Plus they had the big yellow triangle signs as seen in the video a quarter of a mile before the bridge to tell you the height.

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 03-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did that once!

When we moved from Boston to CT. we rented a u-haul in Boston, had friends on one end meet us to move everything out, then when we got to CT had friends on this end move us in. It was a long day & I had to get the truck returned before 9:00. It had snowed all day, roads were nasty and I was following my (then) wife to the rental place when she goes under a trestle. I looked at the flashing lights & sign, quickly look at the box height in my side view mirror and slam on the brakes! Too late!

The truck skidded under the trestle on the snow & ice and came to a stop underneath. I climbed out of the cab & climbed up on the hood to look at the roof that was now clean of snow, but not actually touching the rivets on the underside of the beams. Slowly I drove forward and could hear the truck & the bridge bumping each other - and luckily came out the other side with no damage and a cleaned off roof!

Dropped off the truck without damage, and went back the same way to find the bottom of the sign bent flush with the underside of the bridge! Luckily, the highway department in Stratford, CT lies about their bridges!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-10-2013, 08:36 AM

This is how we took care of that problem with a similar bridge in our town. This bridge was featured in an episode of Top Gear involving a Dodge Viper and a Cobra attack helicopter before it was torn down and replaced this past year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	If You Hit This Sign.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	315782

Old 03-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Suspended

Lightbulb THINK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Timmermans View Post
If there are this many accidents at this point , take care of it.
re-engineer the situation , this is just ridiculous.
X2 How about a sub grade reduction? Aka: take out the select fill and asphalt cap that's been added to over the years raising the Roadside Elevation to what it is in the current condion...

How many fatalities at this location? Note the pedestrian in the red shirt - appears they could of been hit by the shrapnel...

Old 03-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
I did that once!

When we moved from Boston to CT. we rented a u-haul in Boston, had friends on one end meet us to move everything out, then when we got to CT had friends on this end move us in. It was a long day & I had to get the truck returned before 9:00. It had snowed all day, roads were nasty and I was following my (then) wife to the rental place when she goes under a trestle. I looked at the flashing lights & sign, quickly look at the box height in my side view mirror and slam on the brakes! Too late!

The truck skidded under the trestle on the snow & ice and came to a stop underneath. I climbed out of the cab & climbed up on the hood to look at the roof that was now clean of snow, but not actually touching the rivets on the underside of the beams. Slowly I drove forward and could hear the truck & the bridge bumping each other - and luckily came out the other side with no damage and a cleaned off roof!

Dropped off the truck without damage, and went back the same way to find the bottom of the sign bent flush with the underside of the bridge! Luckily, the highway department in Stratford, CT lies about their bridges!
Sounds like you were driving on Route 15/Merritt Parkway! I grew up in southern CT. They had a restriction on trailers and commercial vehicles that no one really understood why, until they'd see the domed overpasses that are 9 feet tall in the center and 8 feet tall on the curved edges. There was nothing so satisfying as seeing one of these drivers decapitate their straightjob truck after flipping me off for trying to tell them to take the exit and get off the highway for a safer route.