Old 02-14-2013, 11:33 AM

Default too hot when hot, too cold when cold??

This may be dumb, but it has me wondering so I thought I'd throw it out there. During the summer I experience an almost too hot engine and have to constantly monitor things. I experimented with a few different tstats last year as well as playing with the on/off temps for the dual efans. I was able to keep things around 200 or under which I am OK with. Now that it's cooler out, the engine won't get above 165 or so no matter what I do. I know that isn't right. Why do I have a too hot in summer, too cold in winter problem?

Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

200 is not too hot in the summer imho I think it is fine. When you drive in the cold if you can turn the fans off untill it runs around 190 than hit the fans on. HTH.

79 Trans AM 406 #12 heads Torker II intake Crower 60210 750 holley vac. sec. T400 3500 Stall 3:73:1 rear. ECMTTFMFers. IHTTFMFers.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The function of the thermostat is to keep the coolant in the block unless it is hotter than the thermostat setting. It does this by closing at temps below the setting, not allowing the coolant to pass thru the radiator to get rid of heat.

If your engine is running cooler than the thermostat setting, it is stuck open.

Running hotter than t-stat setting is a different issue. Once the t-stat opens, coolant is allowed to go thru the rad to dump heat. If the coolant temp is above the t-stat setting, you may have other issues, such as coolant flow, engine tune, clogged rad, etc.

George

Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 PM

I think it's the PWM controller for my fans. I noticed that they are kicking on way before they should. Going to try to reprogram the settings. If that doesn't give me some more heat, I'll swap the tstat. Could be one or both of those issues.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With the tstat closed, there should be no coolant flow thru the rad, and therefore, it shouldn't matter if you have the fans running or not.

Practically, there is no sense in having the fans run when not needed anyway.

George

Old 02-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Too cold in the winter is the t-stat too low a rating or stuck open, as previously stated.

Too hot in the summer is probably due to the radiator itself (need a new one) or flow across the core. Make sure your radiator is pulling air from in front of the car and not the engine compartment, for one. Block all the sides so it can't pull air from the engine compartment. Make sure the fans are covering the most surface area of the radiator as possible.

Other causes of overheating are retarded or too much advance timing, no vacuum advance, lean mixtures, and blockage.

Post a pic.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be