Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Senior Chief

Default steering column

Been thinking of replacing the original steering column to a modern collapsable aftermarket one. Which brand has the best column for a -66GTO?

Last edited by A.J.; 02-01-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:02 AM
Senior Chief

Bumping this one as I still havent made up my mind. Which is best, flaming river or Ididit for my 66 GTO?

Old 03-18-2017, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
Bumping this one as I still havent made up my mind. Which is best, flaming river or Ididit for my 66 GTO?
Neither, the aftermarket early style tilts are nothing special, developed off common van tilt mechanism. If you're worried about crash survivability, a more modern collapsible design column, you could swap out to a '67 or '68 FS tilt column, but you will have to change out the '66's dash bezel to a '67, as the arch cutout on the '67 bezel for the lower bowl area of the '67 column is larger diameter. The '67 & 68 style column provided both collapsibility in the outer mesh tube & in the steel shaft. The outer mesh tube design was continued on into the 80's by a few OEMs.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Senior Chief

Not that keen on replacing the dash bezel and not that keen on driving around with a spear pointing to the chest. I guess that you mean that those aftermarket columns are pricey not adding anything special? Any other options?