Old 12-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to warriors revenge
Default 65-70 bolt in 9" ?????

i put a post here about offering a bolt in 9" for 61-64 full size, and several of them suggested there would be a market for a 65-70 bolt in 9"??? i can make them, if there is a demand for them.... any configuration you desire.. who is interested AND willing to pay for such an item? i am a dealer for Mark Williams, and wilwood, so those are the components that would be fitted in the units if desired, or i can sell just the housing?

let me know who would be interested and see if we can get something going on this if there really is a demand for them
also is there any difference between the 65-70's? i only know the 63 stuff

thanks,
kal
www.xtremefabrication.com
262-968-2514

Old 12-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED
Thumbs up

I am quite interested, but not looking to purchase right away. Just went through the hell of narrowing my 65 rear earlier this year, with the custom axle shafts and the new 3.55 gear being the high cost items. But I know it's still not the highest strength rear possible, as the spider gears will likely fail first.
Care to ballpark some basic costs plus what certain options might add, such as...
Wilwood disc brakes vs stock drums?
Differential options?
4 link\coilover mounts?
Anti-roll bar possible?
Custom widths?

Old 12-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The 65-70 fullisize Pontiac rear housings break down into 4 groups.

1965-66
1969-70

I put a 9" in my 65 Cat a couple of years ago and had a difficult time finding some one to help. I called all of the big-name rear people and they wouldn't even intertain the though of making a 9" housing for my 65 Pontiac big car because they didn't have a "jig". As it turned out, I found a local chassis shop to get the work done. I posted a thread about the swap and it generated some interest. Here's a link to the thread if you're interested. Bob

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=630478

Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Depends if the new posi conversion spider gears work the way we expect they will...

My hunch is that a good 9" would be very popular with racers and bucks up street builders; you can swing a cat in any direction and hit one (or several) with every kind of diff and r+p set.

Considering that a proper big car 3-series posi rear axle is already a pretty tough ticket, there might be a lot of commercial application.

One thing that would be good if you are up for doing the fab work: B-car LCA weld-in reinforcements and crush sleeves, like you can get for A-bodies, and this is a super long shot that would require a bad ass stamping press, convertible-style frame reinforcing channels that could be used to turn a typical B-car chassis into a GP/Convert.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6T5 Cat View Post
The 65-70 fullisize Pontiac rear housings break down into 4 groups.

1965-66
1969-70

I put a 9" in my 65 Cat a couple of years ago and had a difficult time finding some one to help. I called all of the big-name rear people and they wouldn't even intertain the though of making a 9" housing for my 65 Pontiac big car because they didn't have a "jig". As it turned out, I found a local chassis shop to get the work done. I posted a thread about the swap and it generated some interest. Here's a link to the thread if you're interested. Bob

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=630478
In the early 00's entertained thoughts of fabricating 9" rears for '65-67 big Pontiacs myself. Have a line-up bar & have narrowed quite a few hsgs. The market just wasn't big enough & I'm not going to kill myself sourcing & compete at being cheap cheap. Ended up lending out a bare '67 Pontiac housing to local chassis builder, so mounts could be fabbed & located on a 9" truck hsg core. If memory serves right, later upper arms can be swapped so '67 or '68 rear, so it can fit in a '65 or '66. Am sure one of our Darksiders will know the exact swap.