Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-24-2012, 02:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Intake/carb options

Hey guys I wanted to just ask and see what is availiable to us Pontiac guys? I would simply like something exciting under the hood. I would like to try something beside an old tired overpriced tri-power set up. Is there anything else out there? I have a fairly simple 455, 96 heads, RA4 cam...yada yada...
Whats out there for us to use?

Old 12-24-2012, 06:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hard to beat a factory Q-jet intake with a properly adjusted/modified Q-jet on top?
Will be more than adequate for your engine.

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 12-24-2012, 07:16 AM
Senior Chief

Default Something interesting...

http://www.kinsler.com/page--GM--17.html

This looks very cool and is probably very expensive! Kinsler would probably work with you to set one up with EFI contols and the whole enchilada, but it won't be cheap!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interesting.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	307103  

Old 12-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

what's exciting under the hood of my car is a stock looking cast intake and Q-jet, and the car runs low 12's ;o)

Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I prefer "priceless" vs "exciting".

Priceless is the look you get in staging lanes when folks watch you make a run deep into the 11's, then wonder over and see the stock intake, q-jet, and stock Shaker set-up under the hood!.......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 12-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I already have a factory q-jet. Although I wish I would have refinished it more nicely when I rebuilt it. But its on an RPM intake.

And that Kinsler is nice, but I really dont want to spend more on the injection than I did on the car. I was looking at the Holley EFI last night, $3100 +........no damn way.\

Edelbrock dual quads could be a possibility....

Or maybe I should just get some nice sheet metal or billet valve covers and a better looking air filter for what i have. And I have kind of a janky throttle/kickdown bracket set up. In fact I had to bend it way over to fit the lower Q-jet on there from the Holley it replaced. Maybe even some nice billet pulleys or something.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hey Port Orange.....I use to live there 1979-1989 ) 99cent theater )
I have the billet pullys also,nice looking and the grooves are deeper,no belt jump.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Senior Chief

If you want something that looks nice, Demon carbs are good lookers, Professional Products Projection III is neat and tidy, Edelbrock with dual carbs is neat, but like Cliff says, a Q-Jet that kicks ass is just "Priceless".

Old 12-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post

Priceless is the look you get in staging lanes when folks watch you make a run deep into the 11's, then wonder over and see the stock intake, q-jet, and stock Shaker set-up under the hood!.......Cliff
Maybe once I get this q-jet dialed in a bit better and some more converter!! Took the car out last night and it was the best it has run in a looong time. Not quite there yet though!

Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcitech View Post
If you want something that looks nice, Demon carbs are good lookers, Professional Products Projection III is neat and tidy, Edelbrock with dual carbs is neat, but like Cliff says, a Q-Jet that kicks ass is just "Priceless".
I actually already did the Demon thing.

And my car will possibly never see the track again. SO its more for show than go.

The Projection system looks interesting. And is a bit more affordable than the Holley set up.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GTO View Post
what's exciting under the hood of my car is a stock looking cast intake and Q-jet, and the car runs low 12's ;o)
My new engine is still in pieces (collecting money for parts) but it will look stock to the untrained eye. Actually with the "Rugglized" CNC machined and port matched 71 OEM iron intake, Q-jet, stock breather and 260-270cfm 6x-4 heads all painted to look factory, this car will be antiquated to most. What they will not know is that inside the stock looking low compression 400 will be 4" of stroke with light rods and flat tops giving me 9.5:1 scr with a SD Stump Puller it should do somewhere north of 450hp while sounding almost stock..... Surprise
I will not run in the low twelves, it's pure highway cruiser with 2.78:1 gears, but I would bet it will push them back into the seat......

That excites me!

Karl

Old 12-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I feel ya Karl!! Problem is that is how I have had it for around 9 years. Also about 450 hp...but mine sounds like 450 hp! I do have tall chrome valve covers, and a chrome round air filter. Other than that, shes pretty well stock (the Edelbrock intake is painted the correct Ponco blue. Also have an HEI. But its a pretty much stock look. Maybe I should start by restoring the alternator and stuff back to new looking before I start getting crazy. Mine is extra boring because there are no power brakes, no shroud, no A/C....just a big empty boring engine bay. But since I got the new HEI, they sent me one with a red cap (yuck) and when I got new wires for it all they had in good ones were blue (also yuck). so maybe I will sort this stuff out before doing much else.

By the way the chrome air filter and valve covers recently were painted semi-gloss black because they were starting to rust from being super close to the ocean. Maybe i will sneak out and grab a pic tomorrow.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GTO View Post
hey Port Orange.....I use to live there 1979-1989 ) 99cent theater )
I have the billet pullys also,nice looking and the grooves are deeper,no belt jump.
They built a big new theater and that 99 cent one closed

Old 12-25-2012, 12:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to MG12692

Merry Chirstmas!

For exciting looks, the options are end less... however I do like the "stock as a stove" look while able to rocket passed what ever comes your way. But on the other hand your personal touch to your Pontiac is also a cool addition. Since you mentioned fuel injection, MSD is also another vendor you may want to look into. Their EFI is still pretty new so I would give them a bit to work out the bugs.They have a cool video on the their web site of the Atomic EFI install.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post

sand blast the iron intake, set it out side for acouple of monthes, let it get a little rusty, then install it...

Go ahead and buy a Demon carb off Ebay, one that someone has lost their mind over, trying to tune, and now wants to sell it cheap...gitterdone

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 12-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
sand blast the iron intake, set it out side for acouple of monthes, let it get a little rusty, then install it...

Go ahead and buy a Demon carb off Ebay, one that someone has lost their mind over, trying to tune, and now wants to sell it cheap...gitterdone
Thats pretty much where I was at before the RPM and Q-jet! Cep it was a gas stained T-1 and a Holley....then a Demon (someone gave it to me). The Demon leaked like crazy as soon as i touched the key. So it came back out, holley went back on, and I started the q-jet rebuild.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's where she's at right now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-12-25 10.24.57.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	307221  

Old 12-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple more. One thing that has always bothered me is the radiator hoses. But I never have any idea which one I could put on since I don't even know where the radiator came from. Probably going to get one of those nice billet adjustable water necks. Not sure about the bottom hose yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-12-25 10.25.20.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	307222   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-25 10.25.05.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	307223   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-25 10.24.51.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	307224  

Old 12-26-2012, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtome View Post
Mine is extra boring because there are no power brakes, no shroud, no A/C....just a big empty boring engine bay.
so maybe I will sort this stuff out before doing much else..
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtome View Post
Couple more. One thing that has always bothered me is the radiator hoses. But I never have any idea which one I could put on since I don't even know where the radiator came from. Probably going to get one of those nice billet adjustable water necks. Not sure about the bottom hose yet.
I disagree with you on the boring part, I hate the ac clutter in an engine bay! The less the better imo. Agree a fan shroud would look nice and add function as well.
The first thing I noticed was the God awful radiator hose! Also agree that a major detail would go along way before throwing money at carb and intake, kind of like putting lipstick on a pig. Any way thats how I see it as it sounds like your more conserned with the look rather then the function, I assume your happy with the engine and tune?

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:07 AM

Eye candy that you won't often see under the hood of a Pontiac.

Sold it all to a '62 421 SD owner to go with an old tired overpriced Tri-Power setup for my '64 421 HO.