Old 12-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default Fun with Bondo 1970 Hood

Getting ready to get my hood and fenders media blasted- removed the hood tach yesterday- and here's what I find.

Have a good feeling I will be shopping for a hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bondo1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	306369   Click image for larger version

Name:	bondo2.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	306370  

Old 12-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Senior Chief

If you have a bad feeling before the blasting starts the results may be even worse when you pick them up later... I remember having a door I bought from a guy who claimed it was rust free and straight, just had a few layers of paint on it that needed to come off. So it went to a chemical stripper to go swimming for a few days... Went to pick it up, paid the guy and looked at what was left... Yup, went right into the dumpster... I hope your experience is better than mine was... Mike

Old 12-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman411 View Post
If you have a bad feeling before the blasting starts the results may be even worse when you pick them up later... I remember having a door I bought from a guy who claimed it was rust free and straight, just had a few layers of paint on it that needed to come off. So it went to a chemical stripper to go swimming for a few days... Went to pick it up, paid the guy and looked at what was left... Yup, went right into the dumpster... I hope your experience is better than mine was... Mike
May do a little more digging on my own first- but lets just say, I'm looking already !

Old 12-16-2012, 04:14 PM

Sorry to see what you found. I've discovered worse. The rear 1/4 on one of my 72s was almost 2 inches deep at certain places. Needless to say, it got a new quarter panel.

Look at the upside, I bet you will be almost 2 tenths of a second faster in the 1/4 mile w/all the weight you're shaving off the front of the car.

I'm sure you're checking the rest of the hood and fenders. Your media blaster would probably be happier not to blast the hood if it has that much filler all over it.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster View Post
Sorry to see what you found. I've discovered worse. The rear 1/4 on one of my 72s was almost 2 inches deep at certain places. Needless to say, it got a new quarter panel.

Look at the upside, I bet you will be almost 2 tenths of a second faster in the 1/4 mile w/all the weight you're shaving off the front of the car.

I'm sure you're checking the rest of the hood and fenders. Your media blaster would probably be happier not to blast the hood if it has that much filler all over it.
l Agreed! That being said- How have the repop hoods been received? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Old 12-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The problem is they dont fit that well with original fenders.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogolfx View Post
l Agreed! That being said- How have the repop hoods been received? Good? Bad? Ugly?
They are nice - if it's not a Ram Air car the hood is going on then go for it!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 12-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
They are nice - if it's not a Ram Air car the hood is going on then go for it!

Nope pretty much a plain jane car- 100% non original I do have parts to add ram air (flappers pans etc) So may be better to mess with a repro. Thanks !