Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Re-Using Valley Pans and Windage Trays?

Fellas -

Putting together a 455 and plan to run a factory baffled pan (probably a new one from PPR) as well as a windage tray. I have a nice looking used windage tray that came with the 455; had planned to use this. This is not an inexpensive engine, so spending the $ for a new windage tray won't kill me, but is this necessary? Are the new ones superior in any way or my factory one inferior?

Same deal with the valley pan - I have one from a 1977 400. Will need a bit of cleaning to get it ready to use, but a new one will run me $150. Any reason I shouldn't re-use what I have? Thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't reuse these.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The windage tray isn't a problem if it's not cracked, especially around the bolt pads. The biggest problem with them is the tiny oil drain holes in them. I drill several more from front to rear in 1/2" size, then de-burr them. Not necessarily needed when using a baffled pan.

As for the valley pan. If it has any dried up, hard, chunky oil stuff in it, you should really buy a new one. Those things are almost impossible to clean good and any stuff that breaks off and falls into the engine, can potentially trash it. The only way I re-use them is if they are really clean and no chunkies of any kind inside. $150 is good insurance. Plus the new ones clear roller lifters.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 11-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
As for the valley pan. If it has any dried up, hard, chunky oil stuff in it, you should really buy a new one. Those things are almost impossible to clean good and any stuff that breaks off and falls into the engine, can potentially trash it. The only way I re-use them is if they are really clean and no chunkies of any kind inside.
This is the advice to listen to. You can spend hours and hours cleaning the valley pan but without pulling it completely apart you will never get all of the chunks or nastiness out. It's a gamble at that point. I reuse them all the time, but the ones I reuse have nothing in them and are clean. It's only a "must do" if the one you have is not clean.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I cook all mine in a hot tank twice. When ya wash ot out and look deep inside you can tell.

I quite using the 'long' trays in builds unless it's supplied with the customers build.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had the valley pan on my rebuilt 389 separated cleaned and tack welded back togeter. If you don't at least do this or buy a new one you run the risk of hidden crap getting into your motor.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Boost Engineer

X2 to all posts above. Well worth the cost to buy a new one from PPR.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You can reuse your old valley pan, but as mentioned before it needs to be split to be properly cleaned. It does take a bit of time to split them, but if you have a spot- welding cutter it makes the job pretty easy. And the two pieces have to be rewelded together after cleaning, but most people just use the same spots where you drilled out the spot welds. Of course buying a new valley pan is quicker and easier, but if you have the time and are on a budget overhauling the valley pan is a good option.

I also reuse OEM windage trays if they're free of cracks, but I like to drill more holes in them to aid oil drainback.

Geno

Old 11-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE View Post
I quite using the 'long' trays in builds unless it's supplied with the customers build.
What's a "long" tray? Is that another term for a full length windage tray? Why don't you use the long one, if that's what you mean?

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
520-294-5758

86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What's a "long" tray? Is that another term for a full length windage tray? Why don't you use the long one, if that's what you mean?

They are made of a thinner material and of all the trays that seem to crack it is the Full length ones. Has to be more prone to internal stress and vibration?
Another area is that if the lower tube isn't centered in the tray hole that cracking can appear to start around that area. Always make sure the tube isn't loading the tray.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Ken -Ace- Brewer

All I am gonna say is "Black Friday".........................It's coming! And you know what that means at PPR for that weekend! Hell its a tradition now!! This will be the 4th year we have done it! Stay tuned.

Ace

Old 11-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In virtually every OE windage tray failure I've ever seen,that scraper portion of the OE tray is the first piece to crack & break off (this is the part that holds the DS elbow in),and that initial failure inturn ends up taking out the rest of the tray,so I always cut off that portion and adapt a bolt on DS tube "elbow" instead.

I've posted pics of how I do that in the past.

And yeah,I add a few drainback holes too,but not too many,and you gotta deburr them real good too.

And yeah,I split open the valley pans to clean & reuse them,that's NBD to me,as mentioned use a spot weld remover and the job goes pretty quick.

FWIW

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Spent quite a bit of time getting the paint off the valley pan, getting the crud out, etc. Didn't really like the looks of it when it was all done - kind of beat up, some pitting, etc.

Ended up placing a big order with BOP - got a new oil pan, valley pan, windage tray, crank key, cam key, block/head dowels, timing cover dowels, dipstick tube, dipstick, etc.

At the end of the day, I decided that with the time and $ I have invested in this build, that I might as well get new stuff.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you get an OEM type valley pan? Or the aluminum sheet valley pan. The aluminum sheet valley pans will suck oil if you run a PCV valve.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
520-294-5758

86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Did you get an OEM type valley pan? Or the aluminum sheet valley pan. The aluminum sheet valley pans will suck oil if you run a PCV valve.
I got the OEM style pan.

Thanks

Scott

Old 11-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Used PPR factory style valley pan on mine. Nice peice. Gold irridated.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken -Ace- Brewer View Post
All I am gonna say is "Black Friday".........................It's coming! And you know what that means at PPR for that weekend! Hell its a tradition now!! This will be the 4th year we have done it! Stay tuned.

Ace
WAITING........and checking

67 Nova
64 Nova
Old 11-22-2012, 06:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Me too, waiting, c'mon...

Old 11-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the windage tray that came with my 70 455....but I inspected it, welded up the small cracks that were starting here and there, radiused a lot of sharp stress raising corners and welded in some re-inforcements where I thought it was prone to vibration. Drilled some extra drain back holes.

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
Old 11-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Ken -Ace- Brewer
Thumbs up PPR Black Friday Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustysarge View Post
Me too, waiting, c'mon...
I will be heading down to the shop today! It will start today in the afternoon!! http://www.pacificperformanceracing.com/

Ace

Old 11-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Ace order submitted!

67 Nova
64 Nova