Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question Pypes downpies and RA flanges fitment issues

We're going to be installing a 461 into my '68 GTO soon, and part of the project is to ditch the leaky/rusty aftermarket headers that were on the car when I bought it. I am replacing them with RA exhaust manifolds. I bought from PY a set of 2.5" Pypes downpipes DGA20S and the Pypes flanges RPE662H. In test-fitting, I'm running into a bit of an issue with the flanges.

You can't get them on the pipes! On the one side the flange fits nice and easy over the pipe end and will slide about a foot down the pipe before it becomes stuck and it's not going to go any farther. On the other one, forget it- you can't even get the flange onto the pipe.

My question is, have any of you ordered these same parts, and if so, did the flanges slide all the way to the ends? Did I just get poor quality parts? I thought Pypes was a pretty decent company? Do they expect you to grind at the inside of the flanges to get them on?

Looking for any advice you guys can provide. I'll contact PY tomorrow but expect to get voicemail....

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just did this a few months ago. I used the flange/bolt kit from PY and installed the Pypes 2-1/2" system with RA manifolds...exactly the same as your setup.
There was no problem sliding the flanges from the ends of the pipes all the way up to the flange.
Not sure what the issue may be with yours....

Old 10-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I just did this a few months ago. I used the flange/bolt kit from PY and installed the Pypes 2-1/2" system with RA manifolds...exactly the same as your setup.
There was no problem sliding the flanges from the ends of the pipes all the way up to the flange.
Not sure what the issue may be with yours....
Thanks for the reply Greg. Everything was carefully packed and the pipes themselves do not look damaged. But there's no way those flanges are going to slide up to the manifold ends. Did yours fit tight or did they easily slide on?? These are so tight... The one flange moves easy for about 6" before it gets so tight that you have to use a little force to get it go farther and then it binds up totally and won't budge. And as I said, the other one is not going to go on that pipe, there's no clearance.

It appears PY and Pypes are operated from the same address on Clemens road. So hopefully this can be remedied quickly.

I hope you were satisfied with the end results? Anything's got to be better than these headers I have now...

~Greg A

Old 10-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought my manifolds from RAMAIR EXHAUST SYSTEMS.
I bought the down pipes with flanges from RAMAIR also.
I then used the PYPES X pipe and the rest from PYPES.
It's a 2 1/2 inch set up. with Dyno Max mufflers.
It all fit perfect.
Look at the RAMAIR EXHAUST site and see the difference in the manifolds and flanges.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't recall any issues whatsoever in sliding them on. There is definitely something amiss with yours.
My Pypes setup turned out great. I'm satisfied with the entire system with one gnat-bite....I wish they'd kicked the tailpipe up a bit right behind the axle so it doesn't show beneath the lower rear quarter. Then you could do the factory turn-down at the bumper. Just a minor issue though. Very nice kit overall.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GTO View Post
I bought my manifolds from RAMAIR EXHAUST SYSTEMS.
I bought the down pipes with flanges from RAMAIR also.
I then used the PYPES X pipe and the rest from PYPES.
It's a 2 1/2 inch set up. with Dyno Max mufflers.
It all fit perfect.
Look at the RAMAIR EXHAUST site and see the difference in the manifolds and flanges.
Yea, I saw that site after it was too late. LOL... Thanks for the info, but I already missed out on that company. Live and learn.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I actually bought my RA manifolds from one of the upstart companies 7 or 8 years ago...OPG, the Paddock, someone like that...I can't remember now but they had just released them and had an introductory price of around $200 so I jumped on them. Later, I bought the downpipes and flanges from PY...and put it all on a shelf in my basement. Sat there for years. Recently, I picked up a brand new set of turbo mufflers from Goatman Mitch here on the forums for like $50.
When I got to the point where I was ready to do the exhaust on my '68, I realized that all I needed for a completely new RA system was the Pypes X section and the two tailpipes. I mean I had every nut bolt and washer I needed so I cut my brand new (but cheapo) headers off and never looked back.
Even though it's mix and match, everything fit perfectly together...so, you find out what your problem is, it should work.
Have you actually measured the downpipes or the inside diameter of the flanges?

Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I actually bought my RA manifolds from one of the upstart companies 7 or 8 years ago...OPG, the Paddock, someone like that...I can't remember now but they had just released them and had an introductory price of around $200 so I jumped on them. Later, I bought the downpipes and flanges from PY...and put it all on a shelf in my basement. Sat there for years. Recently, I picked up a brand new set of turbo mufflers from Goatman Mitch here on the forums for like $50.
When I got to the point where I was ready to do the exhaust on my '68, I realized that all I needed for a completely new RA system was the Pypes X section and the two tailpipes. I mean I had every nut bolt and washer I needed so I cut my brand new (but cheapo) headers off and never looked back.
Even though it's mix and match, everything fit perfectly together...so, you find out what your problem is, it should work.
Have you actually measured the downpipes or the inside diameter of the flanges?
They are supposed to be 2.5", and as I said the one flange goes easily onto the pipe for a small section and then binds, the other one appears like it's just not machined properly. They are not the wrong parts, they are not manufactured to proper tolerances is what I think the problem is. This is kind of in line with what I've read and seen so far. That company that 1969GTO mentioned is pretty bold as far as making direct quality comparisons to the parts I've purchased from PY and sadly it appears that might be truth in advertising at work and I'm on the wrong side. Hate to post that on the host's website, but what can I say? You drop some serious coin on parts and the stuff isn't up to par.

Greg you mentioned that you let your parts sit for a long time- I'm glad I decided to open the boxes up now just to make sure nothing got damaged in shipping (and to be fair these parts were VERY well packed) and I'm glad I didn't find out while the car's on the hoist ready to go back together that I have parts that don't fit right.

I'll just have to work thru it. Best thing to do right now is give Pypes/PY the proper chance to make it right and move forward.

**** happens I guess.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it possible they sent the wrong size flange? Contact the vendor.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Somebody from the Pypes division of PY is supposed to call me back today, so I'll figure out what's what soon I hope.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok, well first I want to say that Pypes customer service is awesome! I was told by PY to call a different number and talk to Pypes, and my first thought was "oh crap, here we go..."
But I got right thru to a guy named Mike Zimmerman, and he said the part numbers for the downpipes I was sent are correct but for the flanges, they use a different number than what PY does and he said they were going to send me out both a new set of downpipes and flanges TODAY, and he said also he was going to make sure before these are shipped that the flanges slide onto the pipes. Also said no need for me to send back the other parts.

Now THAT is excellent customer service!!!! WOW.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, before I got to your last post, I was going to assure you that in my experience, PY and Pypes both have great customer service. I'm sure it'll all work out fine this time.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well, before I got to your last post, I was going to assure you that in my experience, PY and Pypes both have great customer service. I'm sure it'll all work out fine this time.
There's no question that the customer service so far has been spectacular.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Senior Chief

Yeah,Mike is a good guy to deal with @ Pypes.
I know he does the shows,I've talked with him on the phone before as well.

Glad it all worked out for you.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 AM
Suspended

I just sounds like they sent you the flanges for the 2" set & you need the 2.5" flangs. Just give them a call & they will fix you right up, there good for helping there customers out when there is any problem. Do it today & they'll have you fixed ina few days. Did you measure the flanges before you put them on or did you just slide them on??? Let us know what the measurements are for the flanges. Possiblly when they were packing them they just grabed the wrong ones out of the wrong bin.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
I just sounds like they sent you the flanges for the 2" set & you need the 2.5" flangs. Just give them a call & they will fix you right up, there good for helping there customers out when there is any problem. Do it today & they'll have you fixed ina few days. Did you measure the flanges before you put them on or did you just slide them on??? Let us know what the measurements are for the flanges. Possiblly when they were packing them they just grabed the wrong ones out of the wrong bin.
I'm guessing you replied without reading the other replies. Thanks for the input.

According to Pypes, the fit is supposed to be pretty tight. The flanges sent were "2.5" but are not going to go on. They are the correct part number as shown in the PY catalog, but Pyes uses a different part number. I expect the replacements any day now and will follow up on it when they arrive.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can't beat that for good service.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok, well just to followup...

Mike originally said they were sending new pipes and flanges that he would test-fit in advance.

This morning I got a small package from Pypes. Opened it up, the same exact part number as what PY sent me. Looks like the exact same parts. When I match them up together, there seemed to be no difference except one of the originals seemed "out of round" compared to the replacement. No replacement pipes sent.

I'm thinking this was not going to be good. However, I tried them anyway, and one flange went all the way on from end to end with no "assistance" and the other one only required a little tap with a rubber hammer to get past one tight spot.

Seems the issue here is just poor manufacturing tolerances. The second set fits. Same part numbers.

I'm just glad they fit on the pipes now.

If I had it to do over again, in all honesty I'd probably order the parts from the other company to begin with.

Sorry for the candor, but it is what it is.

~Greg A

Old 10-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Suspended

Sorry for the wrong post I don't know how I missed that. But glad you got the new ones in & they fit. But I stand by my statement that they will help you out right away if & when you have any problems, there pretty good about that.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wait til you try to put the pipes on the manifolds........mine the flare of the pipe was too large to fit in between the studs. Luckily when I was kid I managed a muffler shop.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars