THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:17 AM

Default Who will pay to fix our roads.

In many states, if not all, the gasoline tax that we pay at the pump goes to fix, repair, and build our highways. With the growing popularity of electric cars who simply belly up to their electric outlet instead of the neighborhood gas pumps, gas tax revenues will spiral down to a point that our nations roads and streets will go unrepaired and new roads will not be built. As a member of the gas pump regulars I find it unfair that I share the roadways with people who do not contribute to their repair costs.

Should there be a one-time tax at the purchase of electric cars? Or, should the electric utility companies contribute towards the upkeep of the roads?

A proud Veteran who is the proud son of a Veteran and the proud father of a Veteran

"Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media; which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Electronic reporting of miles driven via gps, pay mileage tax when you file your taxes...

But that is a good point.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hit them hard with a 19% green tax per mile.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 09-26-2012, 02:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm more concerned about the government subsidizing electric cars than I am with the lost gas taxes. Get rid of the subsidies and the problem you're worried about will go away (or at least be delayed until the technology to make these cars economically feasible is here).

Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Senior Chief

I dont really think there are enough electric/hybrid vehicles out there to make a difference yet. But, you make a valid point. They are riding the roads tax free. Not to hijack your thread, but just because people drive electric cars doesn't mean they aren't contributing to global warming. They have to plug into an electric outlet. That electricity is made at a powerplant that is not "green". I know. I work in one.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefan71 View Post
Not to hijack your thread, but just because people drive electric cars doesn't mean they aren't contributing to global warming. They have to plug into an electric outlet. That electricity is made at a powerplant that is not "green". I know. I work in one.
What about hydro-electric? Nuclear? Wind?

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Senior Chief

I work in a coal plant. Coal is king. By far the cheapest and most plentiful. Other fuels are more expensive to run. That cost will be passed on to the customer. Not saying its healthiest, but if you want your lights on, thats where it comes from.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With the war on coal going on right now it doesn't make any sence to go electric with cars. CA right now has a hard time keeping the electric on(brown outs, roling blackouts) What's going to happen when all the coal plants are shut down because of the green weenies getting THEIR way?
The fraud DID vow to bankrupt the coal industry and so far he's getting it done. Coal mines shutting down left and right.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefan71 View Post
I work in a coal plant. Coal is king. By far the cheapest and most plentiful. Other fuels are more expensive to run. That cost will be passed on to the customer. Not saying its healthiest, but if you want your lights on, thats where it comes from.
Problem is that the liberals hate you.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 09-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Even if everyone paid their taxes on actual miles driven, the politicians would still find ways to divert the funds to other projects and leave the roads a mess like they already are. And the citizens will do all in their power to vote down another bond or tax increase to fund something that isn't a giant sports arena.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:21 PM

In Md there's been plenty of money from gas taxes to take care of the roads. However, the idiots in Annapolis put the money into the general fund and pissed it away on everything else. Jon

Old 09-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What I have a problem with are these bicyclists that ride on our roadways without paying any registration fee's. if you are using a mode of transportation other than your feet....... you should have to pay a registration fee on that vehicle.... just my rant....

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 09-26-2012, 02:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1966goat Send a message via Skype™ to 1966goat

Welcome to NJ, where not only are you taxed via gas but we have TOLL ROADS. And that money doesn't all go back into fixing the roads either.

Christie doubled our toll fees this year.

461ci, Edelbrock 72cc heads, KB 15cc dished pistons, comp xe274, PRW 1.5 roller rockers, Performer RPM intake, Holley 80508 750cfm, RARE oversized manifolds, Pypes X-pipe Exhaust
Old 09-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966goat View Post
Welcome to NJ, where not only are you taxed via gas but we have TOLL ROADS. And that money doesn't all go back into fixing the roads either.

Christie doubled our toll fees this year.
Same here in MA. Our MA Pike tolls were supposed to be removed years ago after the pike was done. But now the tolls are paying for the Big Dig and to dig the T out of debt.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Senior Chief

I can believe money doesn't go where its supposed to. Lots of irresponsible people handling our tax money. I've lived in rural Pa. for over 5 years now. I think the roads around here have been repaved twice since I've been here. Definitely didn't need it. When I live on Long Island, you could hide your car in some of the potholes. Money is spent where its not needed, and not spent where it is.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Senior Chief

Richman,

Something else to think about . If gas tax stays constant and mpg on cars go up (keep in mind government wants higher CAFE standards every year it seems) you end up driving more miles for the same gallon of gas. Generally though 1 dump truck does about the same wear and tear to a road as 2000 autos. When we started using more trucks instead of trains for heavy loads the average lifespan of most roads decreased dramatically.
George

Old 09-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Numbers that matter

The numbers that actually matter:

Electric cars make sense for less than 3% of the National Average Driving Public
Electric cars account for far less than 1% of the registered cars on the road

On the other hand ....

Since 1993, the U.S. federal gasoline tax has been 18.4¢/gal

@ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_ta..._United_States

No increase in about 20 years

The Federal Gasoline Tax needs to increase - if the price of fuel
can go up 50 cents and people can still pay to drive down the road,
we can afford a gas tax increase ...

Poorly maintained roads result in automotive damage, blown tires,
accidents .... which we usually pay for out of our own pocket(s)

Jim

Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Senior Chief

Jim,

Not me . I don't want any increase in any tax.

P.S. Delaware gets you for another .24 cents on top of the feds. They just need to stop spending it on other things.

George

Old 09-26-2012, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't want an increase in a fuel tax either. What they should do is limit how much the oil companies can PROFIT on a gallon of fuel, and apply the tax to the difference. I.E. $2/gallon fuel with taxes included. Even with an increased tax to fund the road repairs, the fuel would still be affordable. I agree that a big problem is this tax money will be earmarked for some other B.S. project, instead of fixing the roads.

I guarantee that if fuel prices went down to roughly $2/gallon, and the goods/services could/would decrease as well, our cost of living would decrease, and this country could prosper again. Not only is most of the US manufacturing gone away, but those of us with decent jobs are being gouged for every good/service/fuel we have to buy.

Too many fat cats make $$$ off of us poor citizens. Us common folk can't survive, but in 2011 the President of Exxon got a salary of $2.4 million and a bonus of $3.36 million. REALLY?!?!?!? I can understand that someone should be paid a good buck for what they do, but seriously? WTF?

I'll bet he is stockpiling all this money as well and doesn't have any cool toys. Probably drives a Prius as well.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulyvintage View Post
The numbers that actually matter:

Electric cars make sense for less than 3% of the National Average Driving Public
Electric cars account for far less than 1% of the registered cars on the road

On the other hand ....

Since 1993, the U.S. federal gasoline tax has been 18.4¢/gal

@ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_ta..._United_States

No increase in about 20 years

The Federal Gasoline Tax needs to increase - if the price of fuel
can go up 50 cents and people can still pay to drive down the road,
we can afford a gas tax increase ...

Poorly maintained roads result in automotive damage, blown tires,
accidents .... which we usually pay for out of our own pocket(s)

Jim

That's not really true. While the federal gas tax may not have gone up consumption has. More gallons sold more money. and STATE and in some cases county and city gas tax has increased several times. The problem is the money has been diverted to NON- roads and bridges projects and loading up the governments general funds.
Example: The state of MN takes in about 350 million a quarter in state gas tax PLUS what they get from the feds. That is 1.4 billion in state tax alone a year, YET they brag about spending 250 million over their 2 year budget on roads and bridges. WHERE does the other 2.25 BILLION in two years they took in go? That doesn't include what they get form the feds.