The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Best way to fill trim holes?

I dont have a welder and these are pretty small anyway it would be tough to weld in very small patches/plugs. Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070903.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	293190  

Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you talking the holes in the middle of the door?

TOM
Old 08-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would find a mig welder to do it. Any other fix will be a poor patch

Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I do the trim holes, I lightly peen the hole and weld them shut. Then you can add a little filler to level everything out. Also I took a 2 ft piece of 1/2" copper tube and flattened the end and gave it a slight curve. I use that to hold behind the hole for a backer. Your weld wont stick to it and it will help you weld them more quickly. Make sure things dont get too hot or the panel can warp.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
Are you talking the holes in the middle of the door?
no the 6 small oval shaped holes at the top edge

Old 08-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtome View Post
When I do the trim holes, I lightly peen the hole and weld them shut. Then you can add a little filler to level everything out. Also I took a 2 ft piece of 1/2" copper tube and flattened the end and gave it a slight curve. I use that to hold behind the hole for a backer. Your weld wont stick to it and it will help you weld them more quickly. Make sure things dont get too hot or the panel can warp.
Getting behind these holes may be a bit tricky......

Old 08-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Haha! They always are!! Extra fun all by yourself!! The backer is just an aid, you wont be able to get behind all of them. Just have to "pulse" weld some of them. buzz....let cool....buzz....let cool. When you peen the holes it will recess them a little and give you some room to fill without creating a high spot. It really isnt that bad to do. After a couple you will get the hang of it. And you dont need a high dollar welder. Even a little 110v flux core will work. Just be sure to take your time and allow plenty of time to cool so you dont get waves.

I just welded up 57 little trim holes in a VW Bug the other day...so i feel your pain.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Haha! They always are!! Extra fun all by yourself!! The backer is just an aid, you wont be able to get behind all of them. Just have to "pulse" weld some of them. buzz....let cool....buzz....let cool. When you peen the holes it will recess them a little and give you some room to fill without creating a high spot. It really isnt that bad to do. After a couple you will get the hang of it. And you dont need a high dollar welder. Even a little 110v flux core will work. Just be sure to take your time and allow plenty of time to cool so you dont get waves.

I just welded up 57 little trim holes in a VW Bug the other day...so i feel your pain.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:54 AM

x2 on the backer i use an old piece of bus bar (about 1/4 thick) it helps absorb some heat take your time and get your settings rite be carfull grinding too (heat build up) good luck

original ca car
Old 08-03-2012, 10:32 AM

Agree on welding them. Anything less will be a waste of time. Beg, borrow, steal a Mig. Well, not steal, but you know what I mean.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A good experienced mig welder can sew them up in no time. I just start on an edge and keep sewing them up always welding on the last welded part never letting it go completely cold until done. If its a bigger circle without a filler piece I just keep welding around the circumference until I zip it up in the middle. Once you get the hang of it its no problem. Practice on some scrap pcs. first.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:31 PM

Im working on a 64 that someone else had filled those holes with bondo.it was an old repair and held up well.only real bad thing was when they tried to ding in the holes it warped the body line at the top edge of the quarters.pita to smooth out

Old 08-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wish I knew someone in my area who could weld these up for me.....car isnt driveable and taking the door off isn't an option