The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-29-2012, 05:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dupont Hot Hues

Got some Razzling Red to try out just to see if i like it. It is to mixed with Basemaker and activator. Well i used what i had instead of buying their brand.

I used some Nason reducer instead of basemaker and Kirker PerfectPrime activator,didnt really measure it all to well either. Sprayed a small piece with about 5 coats,waited about 15 min. then sprayed about 5 very wet coats of Dupli-color clear lacquer.

Believe it or not it turned out great....although it may not stay that way. I would never paint a car like this,just wanting to try this color.

Anyway, does anybody have experience with Hot Hues? I cant find much info about it,even Duponts website doesnt have anything.

What kind of paint is it? It dries very quickly without activator and cleans up easily with lacquer thinner even hours after its dry.

Does it need a basecoat like a candy does? The girl at the paint shop said it does. I didnt use one just sprayed it right over gray epoxy and it covered well in 2 coats. It
doesnt look like a candy. Its not translucent like a candy.

The label doesnt mention using a base. It says Razzing Red basecoat color.

I was also told that it is being phased out and will only be available as a waterborne paint.

Im comparing HOK Kandy Brandywine to this. HOK seems easier to spray and is about 1/2 the price of Hot Hues.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty hard to beat HOK kandy! I personally have sprayed kandy brandywine, and kandy burgandy. Both unreal in person! I will be spraying my wifes little 250 Ninja kandy burgandy soon. Going over solar gold. The last time I sprayed it it looked 3 ft deep! Stunning.

I would be sure to do a sprayout card before painting whatever it is your doing. The number of coats of kandy determins the shade you get. I sprayed a scooter a little while back with kandy tangerine over silver fine metallic and I ended up using 6 coats of kandy to get the shade I liked.

And you have to paint like a robot! Any variance in how you spray or the amount of overlap etc... will jack it all up.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought some small sample bottles of HOK brandywine to play with a while back. I sprayed 5 coats over Shimmirin Nova Orange instead of silver or gold.

And you are right nothing looks as good as the kandy. Hot Hues looks good but a bit 'flat',no real depth to it and a bit more metallic than i like.

This isnt a very good picture,but this is HOK brandywine. Its really darker than it looks here and has a nice 'sparkle' to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	repaint 2012 021.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	292883  

Old 08-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah the kandy tangerine I did over silver fine flake was a little too sparkly for my taste on an overall. Would have been killer with some graphics though. But everyone still loved it. I found that you can get real good prices through Amazon on HOK.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-08-20 17.25.29small.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	293291  

Old 08-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Guess that pic didnt show much. Lets try this one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20110728_155106small.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	293293