Old 07-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Why al the intrest in GT37s lately?

When i was younger i pursued them, agressively...no one thought they where cool, as a matter of fact my Pontiac friends thought they where parts cars..now...everyone thinks they are cool, and those of us in the Know..always thought they where cool...what gives? WHy so popular now?

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-21-2012, 11:45 PM

I speculate the T-37s are popular now because not many of them were made so it makes the T-37 a somewhat special car. As well, I seem to recall that, in their day, the T-37 was kind of like the poor man's GTO. Although I don't have a T-37, and I thought they were insignificant years ago, I believe they now have a rightful place in the collector car market.

Look at the 60s Ford Falcons or Mercury Comets - they also seem to hold a special place for some reason. I thought they were cheap junk when I was young, but not so much anymore! There are some pretty nice looking ones around now, and they hold good value.

When I was a kid, we hated the '68 Mustang California Special. We always said the "CS" stood for something else! But now, it appears to me the CS is held on a higher pedestal than the regular Mustang, and also, rightly so.

There are lots of cars that we/I didn't think too highly of in their day. Somehow they have bloomed into something special over the longer run. And such is also the case with the T-37. It's a good thing!

Randy C.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Came with everything you needed & nothing you didn't. Value for low price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-21 11.57.40.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	291885   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-30 18.13.16.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	291886  

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 07-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcorrigan5 View Post
I speculate the T-37s are popular now because not many of them were made so it makes the T-37 a somewhat special car. As well, I seem to recall that, in their day, the T-37 was kind of like the poor man's GTO. Although I don't have a T-37, and I thought they were insignificant years ago, I believe they now have a rightful place in the collector car market.

Look at the 60s Ford Falcons or Mercury Comets - they also seem to hold a special place for some reason. I thought they were cheap junk when I was young, but not so much anymore! There are some pretty nice looking ones around now, and they hold good value.

When I was a kid, we hated the '68 Mustang California Special. We always said the "CS" stood for something else! But now, it appears to me the CS is held on a higher pedestal than the regular Mustang, and also, rightly so.

There are lots of cars that we/I didn't think too highly of in their day. Somehow they have bloomed into something special over the longer run. And such is also the case with the T-37. It's a good thing!

Randy C.
Well said!!

Old 07-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

many years ago, a guy at pontiac sent me some literature that showed the 70 gt-37 with the 400 and manual shift was the quickest quarter mile car that pontiac made that year. i think it was a stripped down car with 4 speed and 3:90 if i remember correctly. (he sent it to me over 30 years ago). i know that john sawruck had this info also as him and i talked about it on a few occasions and laughed at how the die hard gto and trans am guys would just agonize over it.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some of us never moved from thinking they were important. (Well, maybe for a few years in late '70's and early '80's). Then, I got interested again and repurchased mine, after hunting it down after seeing an article in MCR about DJ's.
I always thought it was interesting and unique then and even more today.
As far as the GT's go, I always had interest in them, just not as much as my T.
I purchased mine new as I wanted the biggest bang for the buck. Got it.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Factory installed hood pins are just look cool! No GTO got those standard....

Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since I was a kid, I always wanted a GTO. When I found my GT-37 in a N.C. junkyard, May of 2009 and did some research. I just had to have it. Plus it is something I saved from the cruser. Really fun car to drive, even with all the interior and body issues it has.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And maybe it is becouse "everybody" has a GTO ? and it is a little fun to be different..

Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same reason you would buy a good LeMans or Tempest today that you would not even look at 25 years ago. Remember being conserned about dents in fenders or doors? Now dents are no big deal as long as the parts are oem and not rusted out.
Supply and demand are your answer. Not as many cars as 20 years ago but much more interest.

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:15 PM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

The hood pins and stripes really are too cool.....

The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Hoog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Saw this the other day at a lot...

Had a few things wrong, like #46 heads...

Old 07-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd love to see a copy of the buildsheet on that '70 GTO Scarebird. VIN indicates it was built when they got back from Christmas break.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Saw this the other day at a lot...

Had a few things wrong, like #46 heads...
wrong shifter

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scarebird,
That car has been discussed here under 'OH'. Originally a 350 car. Several things wrong including but not limited to tires/wheels, front and rear seats, rear sway bar, not sure about interior panels, someone mentioned shifter handle, and don't remember the rest. On ebay at least twice in the last month.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT WHORE View Post
Same reason you would buy a good LeMans or Tempest today that you would not even look at 25 years ago. Remember being conserned about dents in fenders or doors? Now dents are no big deal as long as the parts are oem and not rusted out.
Supply and demand are your answer. Not as many cars as 20 years ago but much more interest.
What he said. If the price of a GTO and a Lemans was even close, as they were back in the '80's when they both were just used old cars, there is no way I would ever have bought a Lemans. Back then we called these things "Lemons". Now I own one. But today, when just the endura nose costs more than what I paid for my 70 GTO back in '83, I can't afford a GTO. So I got a car that can be made to look like a GTO for what I could afford. Will it ever be a true GTO? Of course not. Will I ever be as happy with this as I would with a true GTO? Again, of course not. But at almost 53 years old I am learning to deal with having to make compromises.

It really is all about price and availability. Pure and simple. Most of us can't afford what we really want, so we convince ourselves we can accept the cheaper car as a substitute.

Just my opinion/experience.
Russ

Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
I'd love to see a copy of the buildsheet on that '70 GTO Scarebird. VIN indicates it was built when they got back from Christmas break.
Here you go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1971 PONTIAC GT-37 BUILD SHEET 002.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	292044  

Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris, that's for a '71 GT from Fremont. Unfortunately, I only collect info on the '70 Pontiac Fremont cars (have to stay focused).

Old 07-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Chris, that's for a '71 GT from Fremont. Unfortunately, I only collect info on the '70 Pontiac Fremont cars (have to stay focused).
What car were you looking for a sheet on then?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the link Scarebird posted, there was a '70 GTO pictured (linked) under the '71. It stated it had build data for it (maybe they only mean the PHS invoicing).