Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:26 AM

Default 400 engine build

Hello,

As title stated I will start collecting items to my 400 build.
But has not yet chosen witch way to go.

Next year it will be 10 years since I got the car, and I would like to have the new engine ready by that season.

It will sit in my -71 firebird (Th350, 3.42 eaton diff, driven on pump gas)
I would like to achieve a potent and fun-to-drive car that I can grow with as i upgrade the engine and car.
I have 2.5'' pypes crossover and ra-manifolds.

The engine is a -75 coded :
(rear distributor)
K084 (8 november 1974)
(top front passenger side)
0227138 YS
25N531378

So thanks to people here I know theres a good block to build on.
It is already bored .030 (Some badger pistons where in it when i got it)

I will leave the engine to a machine shop for checking and boring/honing. (.060)
And then.. Well what would you recommend me?
Ive looked at e-heads. But what type? For pump gas? Looking at different recipes since my knowledge about this so far is limited. Crank? Use the old or get a other one? Pistons and rods? (Looked at wallace with one example there) Cam and lifters roller cam?
Q-jet? Currently have one for the 350 thats inside now, will probably sell that engine with carb so Ill get a new one.

All input apppreciated, want a fun car o drive that will launch and go fast if needed.

/Emanuel

Old 06-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stroker kit with the 87cc heads run up to 9.5 for pump gas. Run a flat hyd cam Comp cam 284 with 1.65 roller tips. Lots of smiles per hour GOOD luck

Old 06-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It all depends how much hp you want to make- 72cc e-heads on a 400 will yield 10:1 SCR and get you around 450 hp, 87cc e- heads on a 400/461 stroker will yield around 10-10.2:1 SCR and make about 500 hp. Of course it's more than just the heads alone- you need the right cam, carb, intake and ignition to make this kind of power.

At either power level a forged crank isn't required, but I would use forged pistons and rods. A factory 3.75" stroke crank is more than strong to handle 450 hp, just make sure it's properly prepped (your machinist will tell you if it needs to be turned or can just be polished). Be sure to have the rotating assembly rebalanced if you use new pistons and rods.

If your block is bored .030" over you can go to .040" over, provided your cylinder walls don't need more boring to clean up. 400 or 461 stroker pistons are available for either displacement even when bored .040" over.

Geno

Old 06-28-2012, 08:18 AM

Have sent a question to Kaufmann for combo for my engine.
Lots of smiles / hour sound exactly like what I'm after.
+450hp something.
I want an combination of enthusiast car and pontiac monster... Depending on mood : )
Something in-between that I can upgrade more to get more.