67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Coolant recovery tank options: 67

Hey guys,

I was wondering what kind of setups you guys are using for a coolant recovery jug. My previous setup from the previous owner was a Pace Picante jug with a hose plumbed right into a cap that said "Pace".

Anyways, since the radiator cap is on the passenger side with the battery, I need a decent fitting option.

Originality is not important, but not looking like it's only one step better than the Pace jar IS important! I'm running an aftermarket aluminum radiator & Taurus electric fan.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I too am looking for a good looking solution. Similar setup, alum radiator with a mkviii fan.

I had thought of one of the stainless skinny jobs. But I really want to relocate the battery just to clean things up a bit. That would allow a universal jug to got, but may be ugly.

I even kicked around the idea of mounting it forward of the radiator in the pocket and simply have a hole in the top plate for a filler neck to stick through. Would clearly not look stock, but should package well.

Dave

Fishing guide in the Washington state for Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon. Fish-On!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have a boneyard by you, you'll have a variety of overflow bottles to choose from. There were many GM cars that used the type of overflow bottle that curved with the inner fender. I had one myself, although I believe it was a generic brand (and very old, from the 80's), but these work well and look relatively stock. A junk yard shouldn't charge more than $5 for one of these plastic bottles.

This is one for an 84 Chevy Caprice, some of the Chevelle guys have used it. As of a few years ago, it was still available at the dealer. GM p/n 14070997 for the bottle and the cap is p/n 15630112, and only about $15 for the setup.

If you move your battery to the trunk, a generic square shaped overflow (small) works fine, and you'll have the room up front now, with your battery in the trunk. I have one of these overflow bottles (Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc.), and it sits inside a hollow battery that I built. The top of the battery lifts off to reveal the overflow bottle and a fuel pressure regulator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3541_s.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	285411  

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

did you remove the support bar for pic or does it have to go with this set up ?

Old 05-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The photo, showing the bottle, is actually a Chevelle I believe. I was just using it as an example. Not sure if this bottle fits under the bar on a 1st gen. I was just showing that there are a lot of factory bottles that were bolted to the curve of the inner fender.

The bottle I have (I'm not using it now) looked like a factory unit, but I can't find a part # anywhere on it.

I think (someone chime in here if they know) that the 1970's Pontiacs w/ac (not the Firebirds) used a bottle that attached to the inner fender. May want to check Classic Industries or similar resto parts houses for pics, then check the boneyard.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Senior Chief

There is a hole in the core support on that side that a 16 oz pepsi bottle will fit in and the top will screw on and hold it tight I drilled a hole in the top and ran a tube to it for street night at the strip, this core is after market but I'll check the original never tried a larger bottle. Correction core support to fender and bumper filler bracket and this was just a temp thing but with the 400 filllers you cant see itand it worked well.

Last edited by elevatorman51; 05-24-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's a guy on www.thirdgen.org who made some pretty nice ones out of PVC.

Here's the thread link if you're interested:
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/fa...ow-washer.html

Old 05-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The best option I have see is a Nova overflow tank that tucks in behind the battery. Bolts in like a factory job. I'm still looking for one. I have some picture somewhere of it. I think it was a 73 or 74 Nova.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Senior Chief

I think the Nova one you mention is for 75-79, it fits in behind the battery. All the vendors I've tried are out of stock on it though.

67 Firebird Convertible - SOLD
80 Firebird Formula Turbo
Old 05-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr709 View Post
I think the Nova one you mention is for 75-79, it fits in behind the battery. All the vendors I've tried are out of stock on it though.
Last time I tried to look it wasn't an item that was in reproduction. Wish it was, I still want one.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Senior Chief

Part numbers from JEGS(overflow and cap), but it's on back order

1 691-551448 1975-79 RADIATOR OVERFLOW
1 691-371978 1976-92 RADIATOR OVERFLOW

67 Firebird Convertible - SOLD
80 Firebird Formula Turbo
Old 05-28-2012, 04:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm liking the small cylindrical ones, but I thought the Caprice tank was a very nice factory-ish look. Unfortunately, I'm not finding a lot of retail parts outlets stocking overflow tanks!

With the stupid battery location I need to keep room for an AC compressor, and can't put the tank up in front of the rad support until I get an AC condensor located/mounted.

I might try pick & pull now that I'm in the market for a tank.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=183497_0_0_

Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm using the windshield washer bottle in my '68 FB as I have never used my squirters in the 30+ years I've owned the car
The hose is running in front of the rad, below the core support top, so it is hidden while crossing over to the driver side.

DanC

1930 Ford Model A Coupe .. (original)
1994 Buick .."TowMaster" ...woody wagon
Old 06-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question

Was thinking of using a windshild washer BAG they sell them on ebay, you can put them anywhere and will hold alot of fluid Ford used them alot in the 60 & 70's and 18 wheeler trucks also------BOB