THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default weight loss tips

I've hit 40 and the metabolism has gone way down. I'm getting a gut like my dad. I have really started to try to eat healthier and exercise more now that its warm and it seems I keep gaining weight.

I make fruit smoothies in the morning for breakfast. Trying hard to add more veggies to my lunch each day. I try and run every other day. I do sit-ups push ups daily, but I know I'm still taking in way too many calories and sugars. I know I need to give up pop and any candy completely and portion control is defiantly an issue at dinner.

For those that have been successful at loosing weight what worked for you?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

New diet drug called"Trinofoodatall".

Old 05-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Senior Chief

For me I dropped one meal a day and drank only tea and water,no candy or pop's,and of course did exercise,walking is good.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrabill View Post
New diet drug called"Trinofoodatall".
I think I have seen some of the people that tried that diet. They still had a gut

Old 05-09-2012, 11:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to 1966goat Send a message via Skype™ to 1966goat

A lot of people around me used Weight Watchers in the past 2 years a lost a lot of weight. The nice thing is, once you are successful with it, you can actually keep the weight off. Sadly I cant get it to work for me and I'm not totally sure why.

461ci, Edelbrock 72cc heads, KB 15cc dished pistons, comp xe274, PRW 1.5 roller rockers, Performer RPM intake, Holley 80508 750cfm, RARE oversized manifolds, Pypes X-pipe Exhaust
Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
I've hit 40 and the metabolism has gone way down. I'm getting a gut like my dad. I have really started to try to eat healthier and exercise more now that its warm and it seems I keep gaining weight.

I make fruit smoothies in the morning for breakfast. Trying hard to add more veggies to my lunch each day. I try and run every other day. I do sit-ups push ups daily, but I know I'm still taking in way too many calories and sugars. I know I need to give up pop and any candy completely and portion control is defiantly an issue at dinner.

I dropped 50# on the South Beach diet. I wasn't really fat; I have a large frame and lost a lot of muscle, too (went from 250 to 200; I'm 6'4"). However, the diet does require some commitment and diet change. Once you read the South Beach diet book, you realize that sugar, pop, etc, is really evil. You might be doing more harm than good with the smoothies, too.

One way to really control your portions - drink about 32 ounces of water before a meal. It will fill your stomach up and your feel full/satisfied after eating about half of what you normally do.

Good luck,

Scott

Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have lost 20 lbs using an IPhone ap called my fitness pal. It calculates a calorie intake diet based on your current size, weight, and goals. It does not tell you what to eat. It really works if you are honest because entering bad food items are in your face.

Once you enter your information, it will calculate your daily caloric intake to meet your goals. Basically Weight Watchers for free provided you are responsible and honest with your meal entries.

My biggest surprises were:

Calories in skim milk
Calories in almonds
Foods that are perceived bad that aren't that bad

I highly recommend it as a lifestyle (not diet) that is sustainable.

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
Old 05-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Suspended

Quote:
I think I have seen some of the people that tried that diet. They still had a gut
I know-i'm just screwing with ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZZIEVILLE 67 2 door View Post
For me I dropped one meal a day and drank only tea and water,no candy or pop's,and of course did exercise,walking is good.
Actually,more smaller meals is better.As in eating about 5 times a day.Not sit down meals,mind you.
Portion management
times of meals
type of food
and getting off yer ass is the key.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrabill View Post
I know-i'm just screwing with ya.

Actually,more smaller meals is better.As in eating about 5 times a day.Not sit down meals,mind you.
Portion management
times of meals
type of food
and getting off yer ass is the key.
Unfortunately, science has proven this one to be a falacy.

Here's some good advice:
http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcou...ting_well.html

Quote:
When you drastically cut calories, your body won’t lose weight in a healthy way. As with people who regularly skip meals, your body will go into starvation mode. Your metabolism will slow down as your body holds on to the fat it would need if you really were starving. Any fat you lose will take muscle with it, which causes your basal metabolic rate (the amount of calories your body needs to support its functions) to decline. That’s why healthy weight loss is a slow process and requires muscle-building exercise to go with it.
Here's the only diet book you'll ever need - just four entries
  • Eat moderate portions
  • Eat healthy food
  • Exercise more
  • Get good sleep

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 05-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gtoMN View Post
Unfortunately, science has proven this one to be a falacy.
O.K.-i'll rephrase-Don't eat a 18"Pie and go to bed.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:55 PM

Agreed on the potential calories in a fruit smoothie. If you're using yogurt when making it, check the sugar content on the label - some are really laden with sugar.

The big surprise for me was that it was extremely easy to add weight by drinking booze. Lots of empty calories there. It hasn't been quite as easy to get those pounds off.

One more thing - do you eat within an hour of going to bed? That's a big no-no apparently.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Eat less and cut back on the beer drinking!

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 05-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For me the smothies are just the frozen bags or fruit at wal mart and I add blue berries, bananas, spinich leves and 1 scoop of protien powder. I don't eat much vegies and I'm trying to change that.

I don't drink much or smoke. Pontiacs are my fix.

The idea of drinking a big glass of water is a good one I should use.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

eat more small meals, and keep a diary of what you eat. with cell phones it is easy to just jot down what you ate. then you can have an idea of what you calorie intake and adjust accordingly.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not for all but I gave up all carbs or at least eat less than 20g per day.

Been doing this since Jan 7th, and have lost 74 pounds.

Hard part is no bread, pasta, potatoes, or BOOZE.

I am a big guy so I know the first 50 pounds is easy to lose, it's the seconds 50 pounds that hard to lose. My goal was to lose 80 pounds, that would get me back to what I weighed when I got married. I blame it on my wife, she is a great cook! (lol...)

Best of luck to you,

1966 GTO Post Coupe, 467ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 11.6 118mph
1966 GTO Post Coupe, "The Bright Idea" 535ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 9.56 139mph
Old 05-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartazoo View Post
I have lost 20 lbs using an IPhone ap called my fitness pal. It calculates a calorie intake diet based on your current size, weight, and goals. It does not tell you what to eat. It really works if you are honest because entering bad food items are in your face.
^^basically..this

loosing weight can be easy, you just need to lay out everything.

what are you doing now.
what do you need to do.
then stick to it and track everything.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Senior Chief

Crossfit/Insanity/P90X/Circuit training, Plyo, Cardio, etc.

High intensity varied training is the best for overall fitness and strength. Not just about the looks but about actually being in shape. Can you push, pull, hold, move bend your body in its current state? If not, something needs to change.

I like 68GTOmn post with the link to the myths about weight loss and what is healthy.

I am a young guy (32) but I know a lot of folks in their 50s and 60s who can do what they need to do and are healthy. I was told that I would be a "fat tub of goo" by the time i was 30, which is not even close to the case. Decent eating, working out regularly and with intensity play a big factor.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Atkins Diet... I lost 65 lbs on it and it is staying off. From 267 lbs to 202 @ 6'2" I cut carbs to under 20 per day and the weight just fell off. I no longer need blood pressure or cholesterol medication and my Dr. has taken me off of all of that. My bloodwork came back perfect and she told me I was doing a great job of reinventing myself. I can run up stairs now as to where I used to huff and puff just walking up them...

Old 05-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've lost 80lbs in the last 14 months. I started just by riding an exercise bike 30 min EVERY morning before work, then progressed to a gym membership at Anytime Fitness. I workout about 5 times a week for an hour. I also changed my diet. You learn a lot by keeping a journal for a few weeks, I was weighing my food (bought a cheap scale off eBay for $15) to get the exact nutrition numbers and you would be amazed at how fast it adds up. I spoke with a trainer and she wanted me at about 2000 calories a day, 200g protein 26g sugar (including fruit, there’s a lot of sugar in fruit, avg banana has 28g of sugar), I go for walks at night. I'm 47 yrs old 6'2" and used to weight 305, now down to 225.

I tried the Adkins diet, works until you stop then the weight comes right back, and then some. I don’t recommend it.

Co-worker is using the online Weight Watchers program, he has had very good results, lost 60lbs, and he’s only 5'5", its like $35 a week, uses a point value for food.

What ever you choose it will take commitment, it ani't easy at our age. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggto View Post
I've lost 80lbs in the last 14 months. I started just by riding an exercise bike 30 min EVERY morning before work, then progressed to a gym membership at Anytime Fitness. I workout about 5 times a week for an hour. I also changed my diet. You learn a lot by keeping a journal for a few weeks, I was weighing my food (bought a cheap scale off eBay for $15) to get the exact nutrition numbers and you would be amazed at how fast it adds up. I spoke with a trainer and she wanted me at about 2000 calories a day, 200g protein 26g sugar (including fruit, there’s a lot of sugar in fruit, avg banana has 28g of sugar), I go for walks at night. I'm 47 yrs old 6'2" and used to weight 305, now down to 225.

I tried the Adkins diet, works until you stop then the weight comes right back, and then some. I don’t recommend it.

Co-worker is using the online Weight Watchers program, he has had very good results, lost 60lbs, and he’s only 5'5", its like $35 a week, uses a point value for food.

What ever you choose it will take commitment, it ani't easy at our age. Good luck.
Smart way to do it.And "any diet" ALWAYS has drawbacks.