THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

View Poll Results: Early or Late Beatles
Early Beatles 18 64.29%
Late Beatles 10 35.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2012, 05:26 AM

Default Poll: early Beatles or later Beatles?

Personally I've always like the early Beatles more, but of course I still like the later beatles.

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 04-05-2012, 07:05 AM

Niether don't care for the beatles I prefer the Pre 1980 Stones.

MIke

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

cant decide.
i like all beatles.
and stones...
and kinks...
and about 3 who songs.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:38 AM

I like a lot of the Stones stuff too, some Who...But when I was growing up my friend & I would put the Beatles on and listen while playing Nintendo(this was before games were also movies lol).

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 04-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My brother had an 8 track with Hey Jude on it. Actually that might have been the only ONLY tape in his car.
I grew tired of them.........

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 AM

I'm gonna say "mid-Beatles" a la "Rubber Soul" or "Revolver".

While it's all pretty good musicianship/singing/writing, the early stuff is too bubble gum, the later psychedelic stuff is too far out there for me..

Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Love the Beatles, early stuff is good but the I like the trippy stuff better.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I love it all. Early, mid and late Beatles. Cant vote because of that. latley, Ive been into the late Beatles and listening to a lot of Abbey Road. I NEVER get tired of Beatle music.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I love it all with a slight edge to the early years

1980 Formula 350 Pontiac back burner project
1972 LeMans 350 Pontiac
Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to say some of the later stuff is in my favourite list of music.
And some of it (namely Obla-di Obla-da and Hey Jude) I hate with a passion...truly aweful shlock music.

One of my favourite Beatles tracks... Tomorrow Never Knows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE1_QGwVG5s

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 AM

The reason I thought of this was someone posted the video for Chains on FB, and I haven't heard that in forever, but I loved that song.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Love them all.

What's interesting is that there aren't too many bands where you can define an early, middle, and late sound, and all three of those sounds are radically different. There are lot of casual Beatles fans that say they don't like them, but they like some of their "early stuff", or some of their "later stuff". Each time they changed, it was like having a new band that evolved for 3 or 4 albums. Then it seems like another band emerged, did 3 albums, etc.

They evolved so quickly, and every album changed rock and roll. In their wake were bands that latched onto one of their albums sounds, and that band ended up making a career out of it.

One of my favorites from their early days was "Boys", which Ringo sang. A rockin' song, originally recorded by The Shirelles (girl group). What's funny is that they never thought about the fact that a guy (Ringo) was singing about boys, they just knew it was a rockin' tune, they loved the Shirelles version, and the rest was history.

This was Ringo's moment to shine, and I always thought it was cool how the other three sang backup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN6ZZiKWZYA

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Beatles were simply amazing talents. they changed music. they took the simple tune and made it hip. You can walk down the street and sing a Beatles tune - this is not true for many other groups.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 AM

The early Beatles were solid, dependable, but produced little horsepower and no heat.

The later Beatles were still cute, but were complicated and prone to annoying failure.

You guys are talking cars, right?

Kurt

Old 04-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Love them all.

What's interesting is that there aren't too many bands where you can define an early, middle, and late sound, and all three of those sounds are radically different. There are lot of casual Beatles fans that say they don't like them, but they like some of their "early stuff", or some of their "later stuff". Each time they changed, it was like having a new band that evolved for 3 or 4 albums. Then it seems like another band emerged, did 3 albums, etc.

They evolved so quickly, and every album changed rock and roll. In their wake were bands that latched onto one of their albums sounds, and that band ended up making a career out of it.

One of my favorites from their early days was "Boys", which Ringo sang. A rockin' song, originally recorded by The Shirelles (girl group). What's funny is that they never thought about the fact that a guy (Ringo) was singing about boys, they just knew it was a rockin' tune, they loved the Shirelles version, and the rest was history.

This was Ringo's moment to shine, and I always thought it was cool how the other three sang backup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN6ZZiKWZYA
You can say that again. In less than 10 years too. BUt also, you can argue that the 60's culture changed pretty quick too with Kennedy's assassination and the war.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the reasons The Beatles changed so rapidly was that they were very aware of imitators. Once they exploded onto the American scene in early 1964, it only took a few weeks before copycat acts flooded the market. Groups that wore the same haircut, same suits, and attempted to write the same types of songs. Record labels began signing anyone with a British accent.

The Beatles were always trying to change their sound, which is remarkable in an era when record companies, when they had a hit record on their hands, wanted the group to write the same song again and again to guarantee another hit. The Beatles kept changing their recording mix, their writing evolved quickly, they discovered new instruments, and they were open to new ideas. Each album had its own sound, and every album was a departure from the last album.

And an example of how fast they changed, compare something like "If I Fell" to "Tomorrow Never Knows". The songs are only 2 years apart.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Beatles, like GTO's, are only original once.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 04-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rubber Soul a bit of both

Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Senior Chief

For some reason I listen to "Abbey Road Medley" almost every day.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nope don't care which.