Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 PM

Default Rear shocks 67 goat

looking for a good set of performance shocks to give about 1inch more lift from the stock height???:

Old 02-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shocks dont give you ride height. Springs do.

KYB shocks and if your looking for lift, many suggest B body springs or station wagon springs. Id call Eaton Detroit and get the right ones for your Goat.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old blue is correct. Shocks are not what you need. Spring height is. They do make rubber spacer rings that slip beneath the base of the spring to increase height 1 to 2 inches, depending on which spacer ring you use. The vendors sell them. Another option is Air Lift air bags....been around forever, good for performance if plumbed seperately, cheap, durable, and you can adjust your ride height with a full load in the car to keep it at the right height.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Senior Chief

I just installed a set of billet 1.5" spring spacers between the top of my springs and the top mount on my 67 convertible. Worked great....got them from McBay performance..they have a website and are also on EBAY

Old 02-23-2012, 08:00 AM

Thanks Guy's! I think I'll go with the Air lift bags for the springs, i have the correct springs, i'll plumb them separate for adjustability.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

While your there, you might as well replace the springs depending on how old they are. Good springs will take the load off the bags a bit.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Suspended

whoa!

in another thread you stated that this is for a 67 convertible

Moog station wagon springs and a good grade of shocks

airbags wont make up for worn out springs but will impose an additional load on your frame and body.

new springs are cheaper and are not a band aid for bad springs like air bags.

Try new springs and shocks befor you go with air bags because regardless weather you need or want air bags. you will need new springs and shocks.

just try them first and see if it solves your problems before you go with airbags.

And again... remember... its a convertible... too much of this and that will cause the frame and body to start flexing. and by then it could easily ruin your body. I seen it done and it aint pretty

Old 03-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1968firebird455

Stay away from air bags... they destroy frames and mounts... There is a 1965 GTO in my shop now that is a perfect example.

Springs support the car and the shocks dampen motion. When you mount an airbag on the shock mounts you 1)have horrible damping signiture and 2) apply load on an area that wasn't designed to support that load.

Chances are you springs are warn out from decades of supporting the weight of your car. The best route is a quality set of replacement springs(moog) and a nice set of shocks(delco, kyb, qa1 ... ) This should restore your ride and your ride height. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.