Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What could I do with a rollback truck?

I'm retiring from my job of 30 years in about 30 days....trying to think of a way to make spending money without punching a clock. Work for myself with no employees.
Can you do that with a rollback or is that just crazy-talk? If so, how?

Old 01-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Friend of mine has been doing it for years.
He moves classic cars and everything else.
He even moved a shed for my son and I.
It must be worthwhile as his latest rollback cost about 60K.

If you know any dealers, they need cars moved frequently.

david

Old 01-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could also move toolboxes for auto techs, appliances, prefab sheds. Probably wouldn't hurt to build a fenced storage area, then you can charge storage fees. Have some cards made and seek out your local Snap On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell tool dealers letting them know you move large workstation tool boxes. Techs are always changing jobs and the tool guys want to know where they're going.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 PM

I would check the on-hook towing insurance rates first and see if your state requires a bond to operate. I checked into this myself but the on-hook insurance rates in virginia are expensive. Here is a site with general info.http://mytowtruck.com/

SEVEN UPS 2.0 TAKING THE THIRD DEGREE ONE STEP FURTHER

2016 1/8 MILE 7.0 @ 100 MPH 406 B&M MINI BLOWER
Old 01-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could also move lathes and other machinery.

1970 Oshawa built 1 option Judge. 24 year restoration/upgrade project finally finished!

1979 Trans Am - low-buck drag car project for when I retire
Old 01-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Exactly ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO 67 BIRD View Post
I would check the on-hook towing insurance rates first and see if your state requires a bond to operate. I checked into this myself but the on-hook insurance rates in virginia are expensive. Here is a site with general info.http://mytowtruck.com/
Check out the insurance rates ....

That will change yor mind,

Jim

Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default X3 on Insurance

Some friends and I bought a beavertail car hauler a while back to move our toys around. We looked into picking up some odd jobs to help pay for the truck. Insurance & liability killed that idea.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a wrecker and talked to the owner of a towing company to get an approximate cost, he told me it's about $200 a month. If you'd like particulars PM me.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-30-2012, 03:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I'm retiring from my job of 30 years in about 30 days....trying to think of a way to make spending money without punching a clock. Work for myself with no employees.
Can you do that with a rollback or is that just crazy-talk? If so, how?
Around here the Law has a list where they call in turn to each one in order for them to make money. As said above there are many use for them,

Old 01-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I appreciate the input.
You guys have given me some ideas for uses that I would not have thought of right away...
BUT...while thinking it over last night it occurred to me that the insurance, licensing, bonding and whatever else a beauracracy can come up with to throw into a person's way when it comes to trying to make a living, was probalby going to be an issue....just as some of you are already hinting at.
I was thinking that the county that I live in is probably one of the worst in that regard in the entire southeastern U.S..
Fulton County, Georgia (Atlanta) is famous for their incredibly prohibive rules and regulations when it comes to trying to do any kind of business.
That, plus the actual cost of a good, reliable vehicle will probably make the whole idea a pipe dream.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably why there are so many applicants for the greeters job at Wally World.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a buisness Greg you might like to look into. There's no one in your area that has it. It's a potential money maker and could do very very well down there. PM me and I'll give you my phone number to call me. You could have the whole state of Georgia as your territory if you want it.

Right now I'm setting up a friend in Nebraska with it. And Charles knows what it is too.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Sounds like a plan .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I've got a buisness Greg you might like to look into. There's no one in your area that has it. It's a potential money maker and could do very very well down there. PM me and I'll give you my phone number to call me. You could have the whole state of Georgia as your territory if you want it.

Right now I'm setting up a friend in Nebraska with it. And Charles knows what it is too.

There ya' go .....

Jim

Old 01-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is another member here who buys old cars, pulls the cat, aluminum rims, air bags & other easy valuable items then crushes them. He buys 2 or 3 a day and makes a very good living at it. He grossed 7 figures earlier this year on vehicles he crushed - something to think about.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im sure with the economy being bad there's plenty of repo work to do; the little U work U drive dealers from what I'm told keep rollback guys busy -

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats Greg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Congrats Greg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks David!

As I told Gary in a pm a few minutes ago, today has been one of those days that reminds me why I'm going. Plus, there's no reason to stay. My pension rate is maxed, I get a freebie on health care, I'll get a monthly check for the same thing I'm making now...since I don't work overtime....for the rest of my life, plus a pretty good lump sum to spend now or rollover to avoid the tax penalty.
I'm looking for something that does not involve a set schedule or a time clock.

Gary, I know what you're talking about. I can't see that selling down here. I'll call you tomorrow though.

I don't think I have the disposition for repo'ing folkses cars..lol... I'm too easy going.

Boss, are you talking about dedsleds?

Charles, standing at the door of Wal-Mart would drive me up a tree. After a day or two, I'd be ready to take the repo job and HOPE somebody gave me some friction.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Senior Chief

Default rollback

Greg, you say that there is a lot of red tape and bylaws to go through in your area . If you think the rollback can work for you the more red tape the better. If you can offer service and dependability then your off to the races. The red tape protects you from other fly by nighters starting up and saturating the market. In the 90's I bought a brand new bull dozer and everyone on the fire dept told me I was nuts and it would never work. The same guys were buying boats and Harleys. Today they always say 'what would you know about no money You're a millionaire'. Same fukking guys broke flatter than piss on a plate. Don't go into it if your not gonna work it. If it's successful you won't work 40 hrs a week, you'll be on call 24/7. When you're talking to Gary ask him about it he saw some of what we do when he saw the million dollar pond we've been working on for the last several years and Good Luck Ed

Old 01-31-2012, 01:56 AM
Senior Chief

If you have a decent sized rollback, there always seems to be people looking for storage containers moved and you can move a 20 footer with one. Hell you could even start buying up the containers and renting them out. They can be bought cheap if your near a port. The junk car removal biz got saturated here years ago by every tom, dick and harry who owned an S10 with a tow chain, dont know how it is where you are. Makes it tough for the legitmate towing companies who have to comply with DOT laws to compete.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know much about storage containers...Not sure if it's a big thing around here or not. Thanks for the info though.
Ed, that is a positive way to think of it. My thinking is more in regard to what we've just gone through with our family business. You almost have to already be wealthy to start a business around here....or at least the business we are in. That's why I'm trying to get something where I don't have to have employees.

By the way, I've been working about 80~90 hours a week for over 4 years now. My day starts at 3am and ends at usually 11pm. Five days and seven nights a week.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to leaving one of these jobs.