THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Who likes "Oldies"?

I really hate the term "Oldies" because it implies that the music is out of date. I say far from it. It's CLASSY! We should be promoting that music so kids can hear something other than how to kill, rob, and other ugly things in their music. I will have to admit some of the older music has it's violence, "Stagger Lee" for instance, BUT it doesn't glorify it the way the new stuff does. The lyrics say "Don't Stagger Lee!". It warns him not to do what he ends up doing in the song.

Anyway... Off my soapbox and onto the thread. List some of your favorite songs from 1979 and earlier. I'm looking for some new stuff to add to my iPod and I like some of the obscure stuff that you don't hear often. "Hard to find 45's" type of stuff. I'll start it off with a song or two I really like that you don't hear often on the so called "Oldies" stations:

Smoky Places by the Corsairs

Saturday Night at the Movies by the Drifters

Walk a Mile in My Shoes by Joe South

River Deep-Moutain High by Tina Turner

Give me some of yours.

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 11-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Little GTO, Ronny and the Daytonas, I happened to be at the POCI nationals 2 years ago and they booked them there and I heard them perform it live.

Almost anything by the Beach Boys, I have seen them 3 times in concert with all the members of the Wilson family except Brian.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 11-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I co-own a record store and we classify Oldies as "Classic Rock". As I tell our customers "I may be an Oldie myself... but I'm still a Classic". I like your reference to "Hard To Find 45's" and I would guess that you know this was a series put out on CD several years ago, great stuff.
If you are not already aware and have a really good record store in your area look for anything on the Ripete label. Hard to get but worth the effort.
BTW: While Stagger Lee was popularized by Lloyd Price in the late 50s it is a song that has been around for much longer than that and has been covered by any number of artists. It is also one of my favorites.
We have a couple of Oldies radio stations in the area but they play the same dam# things all the time. If I hear "Wanderers" one more time I think I'll go crazy !!

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:50 PM

I'm 38, but I've preferred 50s/60s Oldies to all other music since I was about 12-13. When I was a teen, we had two Oldies stations at the same time. That was awesome!

Motown (Diana Ross and the Supremes, especially), the surf and car sounds of Jan&Dean and the Beach Boys, and at random, Ricky Nelson, Elvis, and Roy Orbison are some of my favorites.

Since I've always held "Oldies" music in such high regard, that word means "greatness" to me. I hate it when some people/stations call 70s music "Oldies." That name should be reserved for 50s/60s music only.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Give me the music from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and the early 80s. There's too many favorites in those years to remember and list. Both Country and Rock.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, John Denver, Beach Boys

Old 11-17-2011, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I listen to "oldies" everyday.... although our oldies station has started to filter in music from the early '80s... I guess they figure it qualifies as an oldie if its 30 yrs old. Its ok with me... prefer '70s and back to the '50s...just not too much "doo whop" stuff...
In the late 80s when i had my '60 Catalina 2dr post, i would drive around late on Saturday nights to listen to the Dusty Rhodes show...out of CHicago , i think. I'd put my antenna(AM radio, tube!) all the way up and could pick it up real good... nothing like oldies over a tube radio on AM... its like bein in a time warp... i miss that car and those times... Kids of today should be raised on that music... Real people with real talent made those recordings... no computers... you had to work hard back then... alot of people and and alot of today's music have all seemed to lose that concept...

Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 AM

Some songs bring me back to my 'coming of age" and the first number of years my wife and I were dating. I'm 54 and got my license in April 1975 and had a 1967 Acadian Sport Deluxe waiting at home for me. I too like the oddball stuff. Good memories come from Starbuck"Moonlight Feels Right", Paul McCartney's "My Love", Boz Scaggs "Lowdown", Jim Stafford, "Spiders and Snakes", or Dave Loggins "Please come to Boston", or Reunion "life is a rock" and I don't know how many times we sang along to Jimmy Buffett's "Come Monday" or Lobo's "Me and you and a dog named Boo".

Old 11-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

hmmm The Beach Boys, Drifters, Jan & Dean, Leslie Gore, The Shangri Las, Jay & the Americans

Some great 1 hit wonders?

Wonderful Summer
Johnny Get Angry
The Mountains High
Jeeeez, there are so many

Getting into newer stuff

3 Dog Night
Creedence

Steve Miller
Go Gos
Alan Parsons
B 52s
Bananarama
These are just a few that come to mind for me

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 11-17-2011, 12:43 AM
PY VIP

Good topic

I am sure this forum has a wide range of ages....rock and roll goes hand in hand with cars especially during the 1960s as several cars GTO Chevy 409 Little Cobra etc all had records associated with them.

One of the greatest inventions in recent times to my way of thinking is satilite radio. Prior to this the oldies station in my area besides wasting most time on commercials only went back to the 1960s.....

Some of the real good rock and roll came out in the mid to late 1950s and now you can hear ones that yu don;t often hear. I also like old country be surprised how some of the orginal rock and roll artist had country hits as well back then.

We all have our own music tastes but hearing it with no commercials is one of the greatest upgrades I think.

Speaking of Ronny and the Daytonas we actually had Ronny (John Buc Wilkins) come to one of our early 1990 GTO/Buick events.....ironically he never owned a GTO. He was in High School when he penned that song...his Mom had the connections as I think she was a song writer at the time.

They lived in or near Nashville......

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 11-17-2011, 01:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to 1966goat Send a message via Skype™ to 1966goat

Your oldies music puts me to sleep. Punk rock and metal rule! \m/

461ci, Edelbrock 72cc heads, KB 15cc dished pistons, comp xe274, PRW 1.5 roller rockers, Performer RPM intake, Holley 80508 750cfm, RARE oversized manifolds, Pypes X-pipe Exhaust
Old 11-17-2011, 04:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are songs from the early 60's that I didn't care much for back then and still don't today; but when one of these songs comes on the radio now, I'm swept back in time to a whatever girl I was dating at that time and the car I was driving. Great memories tied to mediocre songs. Then there are the songs that I really liked that came out during my time in the service, but today these songs make me feel a little uneasy. The old tunes are pretty much a time warp to our past.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree, certain songs can put me right back somewhere in time...amazing thing, memory.
My preference is late 60's early 70's rock...the real stuff you used to only hear if you bought the albums or went to the concerts, not the "pop" music they used to play on the radio.

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
Old 11-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can see we are of the same mind. Yes, I do know the "Hard To Find 45's" was a series, great stuff! I didn't realize that Stagger Lee went back that much farther. It doesn't surprise me though. There are a TON of songs from the '50's through the '70's and beyond that were remakes of songs dating back into the Jazz era and before. I listen to lots of music going back to the '20's and it always tickles me when I here something like "Linda" that Jan and Dean did in the early '60's and I find out it at least goes back 20yrs before that. Its alway fun to find out that there were a TON of people that did the same song too. The one most people remember was just the version that finally made number one on the POP charts normally. It shocks me to listen to these so called Classic Rock stations play what for most part were the top 1-5 hits that group had between 1960-1979, i.e. a group like The Rolling Stones. Then they skip songs that were the NUMBER ONE HIT of the YEAR! It's funny, I'm just old enough to have heard a lot of the music I like, thus I guess why I like it lol, played when it was new and I don't hear some of the songs played on the classic rock stations that I know were major hits of the day.

Oops... got on my soapbox again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bonne View Post
I co-own a record store and we classify Oldies as "Classic Rock". As I tell our customers "I may be an Oldie myself... but I'm still a Classic". I like your reference to "Hard To Find 45's" and I would guess that you know this was a series put out on CD several years ago, great stuff.
If you are not already aware and have a really good record store in your area look for anything on the Ripete label. Hard to get but worth the effort.
BTW: While Stagger Lee was popularized by Lloyd Price in the late 50s it is a song that has been around for much longer than that and has been covered by any number of artists. It is also one of my favorites.
We have a couple of Oldies radio stations in the area but they play the same dam# things all the time. If I hear "Wanderers" one more time I think I'll go crazy !!

Jim

― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 11-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966goat View Post
Your oldies music puts me to sleep. Punk rock and metal rule! \m/
lol Funny thing is I've been to see Metallica twice and LOVED it and will go again the next chance I get! I went to the opening of the EMP and they had a TON of groups there. I've seen Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, The Red Hot Chilly Peppers, Kid Rock and many more live in concert. Totally appreciated all of them and their talent. I just like the early rock the best. I think the thing young people don't have a clue about is the VARIETY of music that was on the AM POP stations back in the '70's. When you tuned to your local POP station in the '70's you could hear anything from Roy Clark to the Rolling Stones to Carly Simon to Kiss to Neil Sedaka to Nazareth to Neil Diamond on the same station. You got an appreciation for a variety of music and there was no SIRUS or net to turn to so that you could listen to "The only thing I like to hear" station. I think it made for a more eclectic nation. It's easier to get a click going and limit yourself when you don't have to hear others interests and thoughts. Music expresses interests and thoughts.

I'm on my soapbox again...

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 11-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

Im 40....but I was raised on 50's and 60's rock. My music ranges from 50's thru new stuff. No country....just rock and metal. Some of my friends get the WTF look when they see or hear my playlists because of such a broad range of music.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 11-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Date line, Eugene, OR, 1969. I'm riding in the family car, a dove grey 1956 Ford Fairlane 4dr. My Mom is driving (24 at the time) my aunt is in the front seat (about 12) and me in the back (4yrs old). We are touring Eugene, new to the area, and flowing the "Tour Rout" through town. We enter the Oregon State campus on the tour rout and drive right into the middle of a Vietnam War riot! lol Those kids piled on the "Old Grey Ghost" and were pounding on the windows and yelling every obscenity in the book at my Mom as if she were "The Establishment" and all I remember were all these angry faces in the windows of the car mashed against ALL of the windows and my Mom up front just cooly idling through the mob as they spilled of the sides of the car. We turned the next corner and the same thing until we finally idled out of the mess. All of that great music brings back some VERY old childhood memories of a truly eclectic and turbulent time. My uncle went to Vietnam just after that. I remember him calling my Grandmothers little farm house from someplace in S.E. Asia in the middle of the night. I had the chicken pox and was staying at my Grandma's and she had a party line. Anyone remember party lines? lol He asked to talk to me and they drug me off the couch and he was drunk off his ass and there was a party going on in the background and all I got out of it was that he loved me and then a bunch of unintelligible stuff with the sounds of C.C.R. in the background. lol He doesn't even remember it. I do and all that music was part of it. Great stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
There are songs from the early 60's that I didn't care much for back then and still don't today; but when one of these songs comes on the radio now, I'm swept back in time to a whatever girl I was dating at that time and the car I was driving. Great memories tied to mediocre songs. Then there are the songs that I really liked that came out during my time in the service, but today these songs make me feel a little uneasy. The old tunes are pretty much a time warp to our past.

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 11-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know what you mean. I get the same look. My play list ranges from "Lonely Blue Boy" and "If I were a Carpenter" to "Hair of the Dog" and "Detroit Rock City" and beyond. lol The thing is we listened to all of that stuff, it was all on the radio at the same time. I'm glad I was exposed to the variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Im 40....but I was raised on 50's and 60's rock. My music ranges from 50's thru new stuff. No country....just rock and metal. Some of my friends get the WTF look when they see or hear my playlists because of such a broad range of music.

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 11-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

sh-boom, both versions.
rainy day bells, harlem globetrotters
those oldies but goodies reminds me of you
smoke gets in your eyes, or anything by the platters
quarter to three by gary "u.s." bonds
donna the primadonna
sally's sayin something by billy hahrner-- ANYONE KNOW THAT ONE?

Old 11-17-2011, 11:14 AM

Have to pass on the oldies, waaaay to overplayed imo. Prefer heavier Rock / Metal 70's to current.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill