Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-05-2011, 04:03 PM

Default 1967 326 Rebuild question

I have a 67 326 in a 67 Lemans I just acquired. The motor is leaking oil and has a couple other small issues. I am going to pull the motor so that I can make other repairs, clean and paint the engine compartment, etc.
My question for all of you very knowledgeable poncho guys is if you think the 326 is worth rebuilding.
Please keep in mind that I am only considering doing this, if when I get the 326 torn down, I find that there is not extensive machining work that would need done to it. Basically if it would only need honing and cleaning and could use stock rings, bearings, etc.
If this would be the case do you think a 326 is worth rebuilding. With gas the way it is, I am just looking to build a nice cruiser that looks and sounds decent, but doesn't need any more than the cheapest pump gas.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 326 is just as worthy as any other Pontiac engine for a rebuild. If you were trying to get maximum power, I would recommend the same thing every body else does-install the 389-455 and build from there. But for what you want, I would just do a quality rebuild on your 326, check all the clearances, install quality parts, optimize the camshaft and the ignition timing for the gas you plan on using, and drive and enjoy your car. I do suggest you switch to a TH350 if your budget permits. It will take off (on the low end ) a lot better than the 2 speed (if yours is equipped with an automatic). (2.52 to 1 first gear vs about a 1.76 to 1 in the ST300. A 2004r would net better mileage, but if you are on a budget it will cost you a little more to swap than a TH350. I put almost 300,000 miles on the 326 that used to be in my car until I yanked it out in '87 for more power (455). Good, smooth little engines. Under apprecated for what they are-a bread and butter transportation engine. For some more ideas, you can post this in the Street Forum.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

326 is a good engine, would love to TBI one and see what max economy it would get.
goatwgn has great advice ....

Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 PM

Thank you goatwgn for the reply and advise of where to post. Would you happen to know what brand and size cam I could use in the 326 to give me a more radical idle. As I stated before, not so much worried about hp, just want it to sound good when I am cruising at 30-40 mph and pulling into the local car show. Thanks again.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

pontiacmania

I do not reccommend you go too wild with the camshaft as it will not improve your performance much but will detract from the car's drivability. If it sounds ratty it will not idle well and you won't enjoy the car. The biggest cam I would suggest would be the 67 GTO HO/RA cam, the 068. Or just use the correct factory cam that came with the engine from Pontiac and it will be a dream to drive. The factory two speed trans (Turbine 300) is a good trans and should make for a great driver. Unless your concerned about faster acceleration from a stop light I would keep the original trans.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would use a stock replacement cam for the engine. Any performance cam with a "choppy sound" will move the rpm of the power band up, and kill some low rpm response and torque. For a nice sound, get some quality mufflers and a 2 1/4" dual exhaust system, with an X or H pipe. It wont have the "high performance cam" type sound, but will have a good "burble", and will be low maintainence if you go with galvanized pipe.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You probably have that awful ST300 two speed behind that engine. Getting rid of that and replacing it with a TH350 will make it seem like a different car. My friend Paul has a 326 in his 67 FB rag top and it runs very well with a TH350 and 3.23 gears.

http://www.slyagent.com/pauls67fb/

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
You probably have that awful ST300 two speed behind that engine. Getting rid of that and replacing it with a TH350 will make it seem like a different car. My friend Paul has a 326 in his 67 FB rag top and it runs very well with a TH350 and 3.23 gears.

http://www.slyagent.com/pauls67fb/
Basically same thing I mentioned. The 2 speeds are ok, they are just "missing" 1st gear in comparison with a TH350, TH400,or 2004r.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:56 PM

Thanks again to the guys that have posted answers as I sincerely appreciate your expertise. I am starting to think that since I will do a rebuild to the 326 using goatwgn advise, I may as well go ahead and do a transmission swap to loose the ST300. I guess my next question would be whether to get a TH350 or go for a TH400. Does one require more mods than the other to swap?
Thanks again.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacmania View Post
Thanks again to the guys that have posted answers as I sincerely appreciate your expertise. I am starting to think that since I will do a rebuild to the 326 using goatwgn advise, I may as well go ahead and do a transmission swap to loose the ST300. I guess my next question would be whether to get a TH350 or go for a TH400. Does one require more mods than the other to swap?
Thanks again.
I installed a TH 400 in mine back in '87 because I installed a 455 at the same time. The 400 is a little tougher. However, I have helped people install TH350s in a lot of these kind of cars and it is practically a bolt in swap. The 400 requires moving the crossmember back, and changing the yoke, as well as shortening the driveshaft a little bit (about an inch or so). The TH 350 only requires you bolt it in place. Your only "modification" is to hook up your downshift cable to the carburetor. (The TH400 and the ST 300 use a detent switch on the side of the tranny.) The best way to do it is to get a bracket you can mount to the manifold right behind the carburetor on the LH side.(under the throttle linkage). Then drill a small hole to mount a stud about an inch below the center of the carb on the plate the cable mounts to. Hook the cable to the stud, and floor the throttle with the locking clip removed to adjust it, reinstall the clip and you are done. If you can find a car or truck with a TH350 still in the junkyards in your area (Which will be hard, most were made in the '70s) you can just copy that set up. It is really not that hard. If you get the tranny in there, I will try and find some links for you to set it up. It will drive around without the cable, so you won't be "stuck" while you try and figure out how to run it. It just wont do a "downshift" until you hook it up. You will need to hook up the vacuum modulator. It is in about the same spot as on the ST300. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Senior Chief

Default tranny kickdown bracket

I swapped the original ST300 for a TH-350 on my '66 GTO back in 1983. It does make a big difference in off-the-line acceleration. As previously posted on this thread, the swap is an easy bolt in regarding the yoke, the cross-member, the tranny/engine block and the converter/crankshaft connections. I went for years without hooking up the automatic down-shift cable, but finally did that a year ago or so. As previously stated, there is no issue running without the kick-down cable, you just have to down shift by hand. Not sure why I waited so long, but I happened to find a bracket at a swap meet and bought it and installed it recently. The current set up for the both the throttle bracket/cable, and the kickdown bracket/cable is shown here:

To further illustrate which part is which, see below, in Fig. A, where the original throttle bracket is outlined. This was the throttle bracket that was on the car when I originally got it. I am not sure if this is an original AFB throttle bracket or not, but it has worked on both an original Carter AFB and on the E-brock clone installed now.

The kick-down bracket that I recently bought and installed is outlined below, in Fig. B. This part simply bolts on to the original throttle bracket and is held in place with a single bolt and a tab. A new stock replacement kick-down cable was purchased at a local auto parts store and fit perfectly into the bracket & carb.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i'm no expert but i think the 326 is cool, but would cost exactly the same to build a stock 400-455 and have alot more power.

agree, my friends 350 sounds great withfactory manifolds, a pypes system and an x pipe.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:28 AM
Suspended

a 326 was rater at 250 horse in HO form. A 327 corvette was rated at 250 horse as a base model. that speakes volumes for the capabilities of the 326.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:12 AM

Thanks again for everyone who replied. Thank you PSW for the info and pics on the bracket that I will need for the kick down cable. Even though I agree that to rebuild my 326 will cost as much or even maybe more than a 400-455, I already own the 326 and it's in decent shape. If I have to factor in buying a different engine to rebuild, than the 326 becomes the best choice and will be numbers matching even though I am going to put in a TH350 in place of the ST300. The other question that I have is regarding which 4bbl carb and intake I can use, as my 326 currently has the 2bbl. Thanks again and you guys are the ****!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest
Default 326 ! Yeah baby!!!

I currently have a 67 326 in my 1962 Catalina Wagon with a TH350. LOVE IT!!!!

The 326 is a great engine. I have put some miles on this one and enjoy driving it. The 326 stock cam would be a great choice. I also have some ideas for camshafts and will put them on the bottom.

The 326 I have is slightly under powered for my heavy wagon, but will be a sweet cruiser in your car. The car runs super cold.!!! The only time I can get the car to 200* on the gauge is if I am going uphill in 100* heat, or beating on it. As soon as I cruise, he gets back to 160*. Which is t-stat.

There are a few differences with the 326 that are special to it. Here are a few.

1. If stock heads are used, the pushrods are shorter. Smaller rocker studs etc..
2. DO NOT USE a Pontiac 400 head gasket. Use must use a 326/350 HG.
3. Use only a cylinder head designed for a 326. Because the bore is so small if you put a 350 head on there, you will ruin the rings and have ZERO compression.

Keep it small!!!!! The 326 pulls great, when everything is small.

SMALL CARB!
SMALL DURATION!!!!

Some will disagree, but I have an 068 in the 326 I have now. Came with the engine. It is a total slug until 3K and then takes off like a rocket! Wish the TQ started at 1200!!

500 or 600 Carb is fine! Edelbrock 1403
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1403/

Or Holley 570 SA
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-80570/

Cast iron Pontiac 4 barrel intake or Edelbrock performer.

Cams. I like the TQ to start early.

Either of these Isky cams
http://iskycams.com/timingchart.php?...mber=CL-901256
http://iskycams.com/timingchart.php?...=CL-901256/262

This Comp Cams:
http://www.compperformancegroupstore..._Code=PontCams

Man did I ramble@!

I can take a pic of the 326 if you want...

The Burb Files
Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lots of good info from 67 tempest, and psw. Good illustrations on the downshift set up. One more thing- If you change the tranny, make sure you get one with the BOP bellhousing , or a multicase (universal) design. No sense in getting one out of a Chevy and using adapter plates when the ones you need are available. You can also use your ST300 speedometer gears with a BOP TH 350.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwgn View Post
One more thing- If you change the tranny, make sure you get one with the BOP bellhousing , or a multicase (universal) design. No sense in getting one out of a Chevy and using adapter plates when the ones you need are available. You can also use your ST300 speedometer gears with a BOP TH 350.
X2!!!

Plus the TH350 and ST300 are the exact same length. So you can use your existing driveshaft!!!!

I would buy a new converter though. I have a TCI Saturday night Special, but could use some more stall speed. If your gears are in the 3's, a SNS from TCI might be ok.

The Burb Files
Old 11-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Dave,
I was wondering when you were going to post here???...LOL

In another thread here, Ace is out of the small bore 350 gaskets, and they are no longer being produced, some say they are on e-bay....

Small cube inch (street driven) engines like a 326 need essentially stock cams to avoid losing low RPM cylinder pressure. The 326 won't make much power below 3000, but an 068 cam is probably making Dave's 326 weaker in the lower RPM's. The 068 was a factory performance cam for 400 and 455's, it's quite a bit for a 326...I bet it sounds good!!!

What ever you do, head gasket wise, make sure the gasket fit's the head, AND the cylinder.

A TH350 would get better MPG, than a TH400, it takes more power to turn a TH400, and a TH400 is overkill FOR A 326...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...

Last edited by 77 TRASHCAN; 11-07-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That Isky 256/262, mentioned above, should give you the sound you`re looking for without killing the low end of that 326. The Crower 60917 will work but will be pushing it. One would need to use heads made for the 326 also, as stated before. Run a 326 4bbl. intake with a 600 cfm max. Then, go with a BOP case, THM350. 2 1/4 duals will do the job with manifolds. A 3.23 gear will work the best but, a higher gear will still work with that cam. I`m thinking a 2.78 will still work well.

I think the Isky cam is the better choice but the Crower will sound better and pull stronger to 5000 rpm`s or so. I`d try to run a 3.23 gear with the Crower.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontirag View Post
a 326 was rater at 250 horse in HO form. A 327 corvette was rated at 250 horse as a base model. that speakes volumes for the capabilities of the 326.
The two-barrel 326 was rated at 245-250 HP, the HO was rated at 285 HP.

BTW, the 068 works great in my 326. Saginaw 4-speed with 3.11 first gear, 3.23 safe-t-track.