Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-29-2011, 03:35 PM

Default KRE timimg cover

Anyone used the KRE-01-4E timing cover on a 65 or 66 389. Specifically tripower WS block. If so are there any fit or other issues? Specs look like it is a direct bolt on for the 8 bolt water pump.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Call or e-mail Jeff with your question.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found that the timing indicator pad of the new 8-bolt cover was off by about 4° when the original style balancer was put back on. Sliding on a late style balancer lined up perfectly with 0. Since you wouldn't be using the late style with the early pulleys, it requires remarking your old balancer and filling in the original timing groove on the hub. Not a deal killer, but I wish that they had included documentation about the discrepancy so I didn't waste an hour figuring what was really off, and another 15 minutes correctly marking the balancer for TDC. Just set the balancer at 0 on the old timing cover and then remove the balancer and old timing cover. Install the new cover and old balancer, and simply mark the corresponding new 0 location on the balancer hub and cut a new groove. Fill in and paint over the old groove on the hub and you're done.

They also purposefully omitted the alignment dowel holes in their cover, and state that a more accurate alignment can be done if the block has been lined bored. No big thing since the dowels were mostly for installation, and I've never seen one move without the dowels after the bolts were tightened down.

It is a beautiful piece, and thicker in every area that caused problems on an original. Nice and beefy, and it looks great.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put an 11 bolt on my 64 389 looks great, works great. i dont think i had the timing alignment issue although i did ask about the possibility. They said for mine it should line right up (old style cover, Old style pulley)