Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 10-28-2011, 03:06 PM

Default upper ball joints - 66 Catalina

Just got a pair of upper ball joints from Perf Years for my 66 Cat 2 dr ht, and one is NOS from Master Svc. parts - the other is a new looking after market part, packaged in perf years bag. The NOS ball joint, though old and funky-looking with the black paint chipping off all over my table, is quite different looking: it has a grease reservoir above the bolt-in point. I called and they do not have another NOS for the right side. Should I try to find another NOS? Shouldn't the after market ones have grease fittings?

Old 10-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Suspended

it probably does not matter one way or the other but it sounds like you need to have one side look like the other.

I get like that too, especially when your fixing the old girl up. I loose sleep over that stuff. Its bad enough that there is a left and a right or an upper and a lower.

Its called Obsessive Compulsive dis order. I dis agree that its a disorder. being an aircraft mehanic and one look under the hood of any of my cars and you would agree that its not a disorder

anyway, you could shop around for another NOS part. or get two MOOG parts and be done with it. and send the other two back. the lack of a grease fitting makes me think its an Indian/Korean/Tiawan part. I think its best to get two of the same part of the same quality(best) and of the same wear characteristics. ans a part that you have some imput into regarding servicing, maintenance and part life. ie : one with a grease fitting.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check at NAPA as they might have the Moog uppers in stock, or they can have them in the next day. Compare what you have with the ones from NAPA and decide.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:02 PM

Pontirag, thanks for posting. I ordered the two upper ball joints from Ames today, and I'm sending back the ones that didn't match. The ball joints from Ames have grease fittings and separate left and right design. The ones I got from Perf Years were supposedly one side fits all. I'm hoping these will be good quality.

I'm really not precious about the way it looks, but I do want the wheels to line up properly, and (besides the serviceable joints issue) there were too many inconsistencies between the two.