THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Illinois-Where Our Ex-Governors Make Our License Plates
Default Thanks Autozone!!

In the past, I have bashed Autozone several times on this forum, mainly because of defective parts and lousy service. Thought I would give them some good press for a change.

Yesterday, my son and I did a brake job on his G5 GT. New rotors and pads all the way around. Bought the parts from Rock Auto, and saved about $140 vs. buying them locally. The fronts went on in about 45 minutes, then we started the rears. I have never done rear disc brakes before. After about 30 minutes of trying to push the piston into the caliper with a c-clamp, like I do with the front calipers, I knew something wasn’t going right. (Lucky I didn’t damage the caliper.) I called my buddy, and he told me that the rear piston actually turns into the caliper, and I needed a special tool. He said that Autozone sells the tool for about $10.00.

Went to Autozone and the guy said that he could sell me the tool, or they lend it out for free, just having to leave a deposit. Borrowed the tool, finished the job in no time, returned the tool and got all out money back. Thanks Autozone!!

Don’t you just love stories with a happy ending!!!

Old 10-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBONES152 View Post
Went to Autozone and the guy said that he could sell me the tool, or they lend it out for free, just having to leave a deposit. Borrowed the tool, finished the job in no time, returned the tool and got all out money back. Thanks Autozone!!

Don’t you just love stories with a happy ending!!!
Yeah, that's a neat feature. I used it when I changed the front drive axles in my '99 Bonneville. You need a really long slide hammer and a special tool on the end to cradle the axle. I think they changed me something like $40 for them and said as long as they came back in 7 days, we were good.

Worked like a charm and got a cheerful refund.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 10-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

nice lending policy but they still sell sub-standard parts

Old 10-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like you Bones I've ditztes Auto Zone for their faulty replacement electrical parts. But that's 1 of three things AZ does that I can't fault. 2nd is they'll do a diagnostic on your car for free for the trouble codes. 3rd is they'll actually help you installed parts they sell.... right out in the parking lot.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i use auto zone alot..

spend 20 bucks five times and get a 20 dollar in store credit.
i must've done it 50 times. great rewards program, i love it.

yep, i borrowed a spring compressor from them, steering wheel puller, flare fitting tool, ect.
i've got no problem w/ autozone.
they know me first name, i can return stuff without reciepts. they just look it up.
never had a problem with their stuff that wasnt resolved.

NAPA? i can send my girlfriend there to buy a starter and she'll get charged 20 bucks more than me.
maybe its better stuff, i buy my points, cap and rotors there. they sell the lucas zddp stuff there...

Old 10-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use them for oil, filters, belts, hoses and brake parts for my daily drivers. I also use them for parts when repairing cars for friends, family and coworkers. Their Wells brand ignition parts are garbage, and I never buy them. I like their Rewards Program where you get $20 store credit for every $100 you spend. There are a few knowledgeable folks that work there, but I always look up what I need before going to make sure I get the right stuff.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Help you install parts they sell?
If you need the help of a ex Mc Donalds employee to help you install your parts,then have at it I guess. I won't set foot in Autozone. Been there,done that. I'll wait till NAPA opens on Monday.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
‘55 Catalina
‘62 Mercury Meteor-all original, bought new by my grandfather
71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.-now my sons ride
Old 10-03-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
If you need the help of a ex Mc Donalds employee to help you install your parts,then have at it I guess. I won't set foot in Autozone. Been there,done that. I'll wait till NAPA opens on Monday.

Funny , I worked at AZ for a while , but , I don't recall ever working a Micky Ds before that !

On a side note , the deposit they charge is actual price of the tool so if you want to keep it then do so , they just order a new one after a short waiting period ! You will get a complete refund if returned though !!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 704554spdGP View Post
Funny , I worked at AZ for a while , but , I don't recall ever working a Micky Ds before that !

On a side note , the deposit they charge is actual price of the tool so if you want to keep it then do so , they just order a new one after a short waiting period ! You will get a complete refund if returned though !!
Then you would be overqualified to work at my local AZ.

‘55 Catalina
Old 10-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
Around here, NAPA is worse....

Old 10-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't mind AZ and actually wish I had one closer to the house. Actually I'd rather have the NAPA that is less than 2 miles up be run by a better group of folks. Like F-Rock said, it depends on the mood they are in what price they charge. Once I bought a clutch fan, installed it and decided to do the same to another car. I went to buy the exact same clutch fan the next day and they charged me an extra $20. When I asked why they weren't $xx.xx, they said it was a different part. Nope. It was so long ago that prices have changed. Nope. It was a different part number. Nope. Finally they said I was obviously mistaken so I pulled out the receipt. All I got was "Do you want the part or not?" I go there ONLY if I'm in a bind for time.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Last year I was at a car club meeting and mentioned that I bought a part at NAPA. He said "do you know what NAPA stand for" I said "no", He said" No American Parts Anymore".

Old 10-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well maybe the luck of the draw then. Local NAPA here is older guys who actually know their parts and cars. AZ is a joke,the only store I've gone into that some 20 years old tells me I don't know what I'm talking about,and they actually argue with me about the engine that's in my car or the parts I need. If your local AZ store is good,have at it,but I still stand behind my original post-If you need help from your local AZ employee to help you fix your car, good luck.

‘55 Catalina
Old 10-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you had bought their top pf the line dust emilting squealing brake pads you wouldnt like them as much. I buy there some but never brakes.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 AM

My wife runs an Autozone. Yes sometimes you have to deal with some kid who has no idea about cars except what the computer tells him but, you wouldnt believe the amount of guys who come in there and "act" like they know everything and when my wife tells them something different, she cant be right cause she's a woman. Alot of egos get hurt in there.
Parts can be hit or miss for sure but thats everywhere anymore. I've gotten suspension parts for various things and alot of them were just reboxed MOOG parts.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I like the rewards thing and the tool policy is good. Got an engine prime tool from them before firing up my TA.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Around here, NAPA is worse....

I agree with you. NAPA is NOT the NAPA of the '70s and '80s. I actually get better service and parts from AZ and Advance nowadays...(I like Advance better than AZ)
Best bet is the old school independent....if you know of one.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by limejudge69 View Post
I like their Rewards Program where you get $20 store credit for every $100 you spend.
They're changing the rewards program. Now you'll get a 3% credit on $150-$499.99 & 5% on $500 or more in a 6 month time frame.
I went there today because I needed a couple brake rotors & thought 20% off would be nice.....well not any more!

Last edited by steve v; 10-03-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by limejudge69 View Post
.....their Rewards Program where you get $20 store credit for every $100 you spend.... There are a few knowledgeable folks that work there, but I always look up what I need before going to make sure I get the right stuff.
Actually, you needed to make five $20 transactions to get the credit. A single $50 or $100 purchase would only get you one 'punch'. At least that's how I last understood it.

Ditto on looking up the parts ahead of time. On the internet, you can even find what the price is going to be at the store you will visit.

I think their free diagnostic check beats the hell out of paying $50-$100 at the dealer.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't care for some of the big "chain" stores like o'reilly's or autozone. If I need something, I take a part number down with me. There are 2 NAPAs around here and they are both good. Carquest is also good but they closed in this town.

Loaner tool program is great. I will use them for light bulbs and spark plugs.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.