THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Bad internet ordering experience

I needed some shocks for my 66 Lemans and reading the Forums here decided I would with KYB's all around. I ordered 2 fronts and 2 rears from S**** and 2 days later I received 4 shocks. 4-5 days later I went to install and noticed I had 2 different from shocks for the front. Same part # but 2 different shocks. One black Excel-G and one silver KR-2. Same part # but different UPC code #'s. From what S***** said KYB has changed their product line and although eventually it will work out be aware until the complete depletion of existing stock.
I wam not the least pleased with how slow and mismanaged S***** has handled the ordeal. If I had not called 3 or 4 times they would have left it as it was, dropped the ball and no shock being shipped. FWIW

Old 09-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation

I would return the KYB's, and go to your local AutoZone and order a set of Bilsteins. They're about the only parts I purchase there.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 09-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well. I have 3 shocks mounted and I think I'll just have to wait on the 4th shock. Also the Bilsteins are 4 times the price o the KYB's. I can't see that for 150 miles/year.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Summit overnighted the shock and I received it this morning. They did ship the correct one, thank goodness. Not sure if I will order from them again. Maybe sometime later.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Senior Chief

Huh...I've never had a problem with them at all...Always got the parts I ordered and fast shipping too..

My 1965 Lemans....
Old 09-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sooooooo... the company owned up to the mistake when it was brought to their attention and they over-nighted the correct part and you're not happy with them?

I've ordered from them tons of times. I've had a couple of issues and they've always been quickly resolved. Another quick tip when dealing with Summit as a PY'er- ask for Scott Esterle. He's one of us.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 09-15-2011, 12:24 AM
PY VIP

Just happen to catch this thread.....

being an automotive mail order company mistakes happen, even happens to owners of companies like myself. Not everything goes perfect like you read in magazine tech articles!

As for Summit using as an example when you call their order number you are actually calling a location in Nevada...and another person in their warehouse in Ohio pulls the part. I just had an experience with them the other week.

In our one market we offer a certain VDO 30 psi boost guage. VDO has phased it out replaced it with a 25 psi gauge however retained the SAME part number. Summitt still pictured the style I was seeking so when I ordered 5 of them I specifically told them to be sure they are the old style meaning whoever pulls them from their stock needs to double check the face of them.

I got them and out of the 5 or 6 I ordered only 2 were the old style. I filled out the return slip sent the wrong ones back and quickly got a post card sating credit was reapplied to my credit card.

As to KYB and Bilsteins we actually stock both....Bilsteins ae the bst and cost more...they actually created the gas shock...however in our world we realize not everyone can afford Bilsteins so we offer KYBs as well.

Point being....mistakes happen...we have even seen parts packaged wrong from GM....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

PS Been in the automotive mail order business since 1978.......