THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Nascar: The great soap opera

Gotta love it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog/...=nascar-wp3779

Old 09-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Busch has been running pretty good lately. I think that Johnson knows how to get into Busch's head and being so temperamental it will give Johnson one less competitor.
PS I don't want to see Johnson win again.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think JJ could take parrot face.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 09-12-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
I think JJ could take parrot face.
i think danica could take JJ .

Old 09-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Suspended

I think I'll go take a d_mp.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They aren't predicting Kurt to beat Johnson anyway, they're predicting Kyle to beat him. Kyle has matured a great deal in the past year and I believe if he has some luck he could actually pull it off.

BTW the drama isn't just in NASCAR, what about all the accusations a few years ago that John Force was sandbagging to get one of his team further up in their "CHASE" format, copied of course from NASCAR. How bout this NHRA soap opera???

John Force Fined? Did NHRA Reverse It's Ruling at Indy?
Sandra Parker
Sandra Parker, Yahoo! Contributor Network
Sep 10, 2009 "Contribute content like this. Start Here."

After all the controversy, allegations of cheating, whispers of years of manipulation, John Force is fined for an incident that happened at the Mac Tools U.S. Nationals, presented by Lucas Oil at O'Reilly Raceway, Labor Day Weekend, and its not for what many might think.

John Force participated in a heated exchange of words with Tony Pedregon just minutes after his controversial loss to his son-in-law and teammate, Robert Hight. The loss to Hight gave Robert the points he needed to take the number ten spot in the points race, bumping Tony's brother, Cruz out of the running.

It was that incident, coupled with an unexpected loss to Force's daughter, Ashley Force-Hood, that pushed Tony to voice his frustration with John Force Racing, accusing him of intentionally losing the race against Robert to further Hight's points standing.

A verbal confrontation ensued, with Force and Pedregon standing toe-to-toe, exchanging harsh words and allegations. Several NHRA officials intervened, separating the men to keep the confrontation from escalating into a physical one. At one point, John Force made physical contact with an official, which was caught on video, in the heat of the moment. It was for this offense that he was fined. The $10,000 fine must be paid before he, or any other member of his team, can enter the race at Charlotte this weekend.

NHRA has cleared Force of any wrongdoing with regard to the semi final round between Robert and himself, stating that there was no conclusive evidence to support an intentional manipulation of the race therefore the results will stand.

I guess NASCAR isn't the only SOAP OPERA motorsport huh?.........................................

Gotta love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 09-12-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is a big reason why I don't worry anymore if I don't catch the broadcasts.
Nascar seems to be trying to change to keep the public happy, but they keep changing their minds on what the public wants.

NHRA, just not that good anymore. Too "corporate" now, everyong has to act like a pr person. And like Garlits has said on tv in the past, the drivers don't really drive anymore. Not saying what they do isn't hard, but nothing like the old days. Computers control almost everything. Just not that fun to watch.

If you are driving a Toyota funny car, where is the Toyota engine? And being allowed to take front wheel drive cars and make them rear wheel drive sucks too.

And things seem to have to be rushed for tv.

Plus, they don't usually (if at all) have any exhibition cars anymore. My dad is friends with Bob Riggle, of Hemi Under Glass fame. Him, other wheelstanders, jet/rocket cars, even remember some guy called something like "Crazy Eddie" who did stuff on his motorcyle who didn't use his real name so his employers wouldn't drop his insurance.

Yes, I guess I am showing my age.
Russ

Old 09-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I quit watching it completely when they let Toyota in. That ruined it for me.

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 09-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The best racing in my book is winged sprint cars on dirt, They run around a 3/8 mile track in around 11-12 seconds, One of the best power to weight ratios in 4 wheeled motorsports (approx 850 HP in a 1375# car).

Don't forget, 20+ cars on a 1/4-1/2 mile dirt track all racing at the same time turning 4 turns in 1 lap. Little if any drama and if it doesn't get your heart beating, your heartless.....................................

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-14-2011, 02:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My driver is Kevin Harvick #29, I think he has a shot at it this year.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brad,

DITTOS!!! NOTHING beats a USAC Silver Crown or World of Outlaws sprint car on dirt!!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Haven't really paid attention to nascar since they went with the top 10 car runoff at the end of the year. Last time I was watching it looked to me that all the cars had the same body with different wraps. BS IMO Won't bother me at all if it was replaced on the box with dirt track racing and Outlaws.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not surprisingly, the best NASCAR drivers are phenomenal dirt track racers. Stewart, Kahne, K. Busch, Bowyer, they love to slide sideways. Probably why they are so successful in the Sprint Cup Series, these guys can drive the wheels off anything.

It's been an interesting year so far.

J. Johnson and Kurt Busch simply don't like each other. They have to be careful in these last few races. I'm sure they'll stay out of each other's way, but if one of them drops in the Chase standings, with no chance of winning, there may be some payback coming.

All these guys in the Chase are worthy. The most surprising ones are Kenseth, Hamlin, and Newman. They've been under the radar most of the year, and rarely get much air time during a race.

Dale Jr. is the other surprise. He's not a Championship driver, and really doesn't deserve to be in the Chase in my opinion (and I like Jr.), but he made it. He's never going to win a Championship, but he brings the fans in.

Kasey Kahne has had the absolute worst luck all year. If there's a wreck on the track, you can bet #4 got caught up in it. It's a shame he didn't make the Chase. He's a hell of a driver.

Jeff Gordon and Kyle Busch have the best chance right now, and of course Jimmie Johnson.

Harvick will self-destruct before the year is over. He'll lose his temper, take someone out, and be penalized. I like Harvick though, and he definitely deserves to be in the Chase.

Tony Stewart is one of my favorites. He can drive Indy Car, dirt track, anything with wheels. Besides, I saw a video where he shows off his car collection. His favorite car? 1979 Trans Am Special Edition. He loves it, and drives it whenever he can.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Old 09-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
The best racing in my book is winged sprint cars on dirt, They run around a 3/8 mile track in around 11-12 seconds, One of the best power to weight ratios in 4 wheeled motorsports (approx 850 HP in a 1375# car).
The Outlaw Sprints will be here Saturday for their 3rd annual visit. I'll go and enjoy myself, but they really need to add a few pounds to the cars. They NEED a starter...

I'd much rather watch a quality late model or modified show on a regular basis. It's just better racing IMHO. Once a year is enough for the sprints.

But I'll probably shoot a few new photos this year. Some of mine from previous shows...

Old 09-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

NASCAR went to crap years ago as far as Im concerned. Its not NASCAR anymore......not even close. The cars all look the same other than paint and stickers to make it look similar to a Chevy or a Ford or whatever.
NHRA isnt much better......but its at least more fun to watch. Every time NASCAR comes on I go to sleep.....its just so boring.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-15-2011, 06:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

NHRA is for people with short attention spans...

Several minutes of announcers blathering interrupted every once in awhile by a few seconds of action.

At least in NASCAR the cars are actually racing during most of the broadcast.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, i watch the 1st 50 laps. And the last 50. Sleep in between.
And thats 10 rows up in front of pits at Chicagoland.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 09-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Not surprisingly, the best NASCAR drivers are phenomenal dirt track racers. Stewart, Kahne, K. Busch, Bowyer, they love to slide sideways. Probably why they are so successful in the Sprint Cup Series, these guys can drive the wheels off anything.

It's been an interesting year so far.

J. Johnson and Kurt Busch simply don't like each other. They have to be careful in these last few races. I'm sure they'll stay out of each other's way, but if one of them drops in the Chase standings, with no chance of winning, there may be some payback coming.

All these guys in the Chase are worthy. The most surprising ones are Kenseth, Hamlin, and Newman. They've been under the radar most of the year, and rarely get much air time during a race.

Dale Jr. is the other surprise. He's not a Championship driver, and really doesn't deserve to be in the Chase in my opinion (and I like Jr.), but he made it. He's never going to win a Championship, but he brings the fans in.

Kasey Kahne has had the absolute worst luck all year. If there's a wreck on the track, you can bet #4 got caught up in it. It's a shame he didn't make the Chase. He's a hell of a driver.

Jeff Gordon and Kyle Busch have the best chance right now, and of course Jimmie Johnson.

Harvick will self-destruct before the year is over. He'll lose his temper, take someone out, and be penalized. I like Harvick though, and he definitely deserves to be in the Chase.

Tony Stewart is one of my favorites. He can drive Indy Car, dirt track, anything with wheels. Besides, I saw a video where he shows off his car collection. His favorite car? 1979 Trans Am Special Edition. He loves it, and drives it whenever he can.
VERY well put, Mike.

It would be great to see Gordon win his 5th.

I've grown weary of seeing JJ win his five Sprint Cups in a row.

I'd love to see ANY of the RCR teams win the Cup, but that ain't happening this year.

Jr. is about as much of a middle of the road driver as I've ever seen. He DOES drive the best equipment . . .

Sure would have liked to see Mark Martin win a Cup Championship before he loses his full-time ride, but that ain't gonna happen either. A four-time bridesmaid, poor guy. I think he's mellowed too much now, and lost a step or two . . .

I know what you mean about Kahne!

I still think that Harvick has a chance, but like you have to favor Gordon or Kyle Busch.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 09-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I quit watching NASCAR after Dale Sr. died. He was the only reason I watched, because he p_issed me off so much. The 'kids running these days aren't worth the time needed to watch a race. Besides, running in circles isn't a race to me. Put em on a road course... a long one and see who makes it to the end. Nürburgring or any other long road course will do.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.