Old 07-29-2011, 05:36 PM

Question 71 T/A hood up in the rear. Bad hinges?

I am having problems getting my hood down where it should be. I have to push the hood down on both sides to make it look right. The other thing is, I dont even have the weatherstripping installed on the cowl yet. I have the hinges adjusted all the way down. Are my hood hinges so worn out that it's making my hood pop up? I am sure others must have had this problem also. I dont want to replace the hinges but rather fix them if they are the problem. Let me know your ideas. Thanks, Walt.

Even a blind squirrel eventually finds his nut's
Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I remember correctly you have to move the hinges up in the back to make the hood go down. I would post this in the body section and see what they say.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hood hinges are worn out. I have the same problem with my '71 T/A.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you can slot the hinge holes ( up) and put it down in back and up in front to get a better fit. The new repop hinges are based on a camaro hood.
I tried 5 sets of hinges on my formula, which is even more of a pain.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Senior Chief

So are you saying the repro hinges are no good?
I just pulled the springs off my original hinges and have now noticed they seem to be a bit sloppy. How sloppy can I expect a set of hinges to be before they are considered worn out. And is there anyone who rebuilds original hinges?

Found these guys online.
Anyone used them:
http://www.hoodhingerepair.com/index.html

Last edited by firstyearta; 01-12-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbirds View Post
If I remember correctly you have to move the hinges up in the back to make the hood go down. I would post this in the body section and see what they say.
X2. It seems like you would be doing the wrong thing but it pulls the hood right down.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if you see that they have some slop in the rivets, you can have them rebuilt. I had my originals done for a little over $100 if I remember right, and then had them powder coated in a gray phosphate color after I got them back. Only took about two weeks for the hinge rebuild and they work better than new now. Here is the place that redid them: http://www.hoodhingerepair.com/

Old 01-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There was thread on rebuilding hood hinges yourself, with a bushing as opposed to the bore it out and new rivet style being offered by the above link.
I wish I could find it...

Old 01-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksGTO View Post
if you see that they have some slop in the rivets, you can have them rebuilt. I had my originals done for a little over $100 if I remember right, and then had them powder coated in a gray phosphate color after I got them back. Only took about two weeks for the hinge rebuild and they work better than new now. Here is the place that redid them: http://www.hoodhingerepair.com/
I used him as well!He does real nice work and fast turn around.I think he gets $125?When adjusting the hood,I found that when the back of the hood sits too high.Then the front of the hinge needs to sit higher and the back of the hinge needs to be lower.Have someone hold the hood open while you work the bolts.Loosen the 4 bolts have someone push the hood up higher then retighten the bolts.That usaually gets the rear down.But I have yet to see a set of hinges that where in great shape/just my 2 cents!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstyearta View Post
So are you saying the repro hinges are no good?
I just pulled the springs off my original hinges and have now noticed they seem to be a bit sloppy. How sloppy can I expect a set of hinges to be before they are considered worn out. And is there anyone who rebuilds original hinges?

Found these guys online.
Anyone used them:
http://www.hoodhingerepair.com/index.html
i use Willie all the time !!! very very fast turn around !!!! great guy, and he does a great job rebuilding them