THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Best Selling Car in America Last Month

The Chevy Cruze...

Sold more than 25,000 units - more than the Toyota Camry or the Honda Accord.

And after hitting #1 in the sales charts here in the U.S. - it was just released that Chevy will have a diesel engine option for 2013.

Quote:
The diesel-powered Cruze is expected to hit dealer lots in 2013 and it will be built on the same line as its gasoline-powered brethren. Pricing for the diesel Cruze isn't known at this time. Right now, the gas-powered Cruze has a price starting at $16,525.

Interestingly, the Cruze is the bestselling vehicle in America right now with 25,000 units sold in June. That sales number was enough to put it ahead of the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. Analyst Dave Sullivan with AutoPacific Inc said, "I couldn't think of a better way for GM to capitalize on the momentum that Cruze has created for GM by adding a diesel."
This should make the oil burner fans happy, as they have been asking for a U.S. manufacturer to build a diesel economy car. Estimated to get 51MPG on the highway.

The current Chevy Cruze Eco has a 42 MPG on the highway rating.

GM continues to deliver...

Old 07-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not bad.
And it only took a huge earthquake, a tsunami and 3 nuclear reactor melt downs to make it happen.
Go GM.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a bad looking small car. Either is the Chevy Sonic that is comming out soon.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Not bad.
And it only took a huge earthquake, a tsunami and 3 nuclear reactor melt downs to make it happen.
Go GM.
You forgot the part about nobody but Obama wanting an electric car.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrabill View Post

?????? What does that have to due with the Cruise selling well? Nothing Electric about the Cruise.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Not bad.
Go GM.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerjeff View Post
Nothing Electric about the Cruise.
A very insightful statement.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought this was interesting too.

The new Chevy Sonic is a subcompact, and will be the only subcompact made in the U.S. It will be built with non-union people, earning $14 an hour. It will be cheaply built, even the first coat of rust-proofing has been reformulated so that it is one-hundredth as thick as — and thereby cheaper than — the coating on other cars.

The Sonic will be G.M.’s littlest, and most fuel-efficient, conventionally powered vehicle. The Sonic weighs 500 pounds less and is eight inches shorter than the next biggest car G.M. makes, and its little 1.4-.liter turbocharged engine will deliver the best gas mileage in the company’s fleet. “It will be north of 40 miles per gallon,” said Jim Federico, head of G.M.’s global small cars and electric vehicles.

Full Story : http://finance.yahoo.com/news/With-C....html?x=0&.v=1

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
A very insightful statement.
Ok so I don't talk as good as all you edjumacated folks.

It still does not answer the question I asked about what the statement only Obama wanting Electric cars has to doe with the cruise outselling the rest of the car Industry in June?

And with my obviously inferior comunication skills, maybee some one can dumb the explination down so my inferior mind can understand it.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 07-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Senior Chief

Think those sales numbers are good, just wait until the diesel version comes out.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrabill View Post

Yet another useless post.......

Old 07-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

It still does not answer the question I asked about what the statement only Obama wanting Electric cars has to doe with the cruise outselling the rest of the car Industry in June?

And with my obviously inferior comunication skills, maybee some one can dumb the explination down so my inferior mind can understand it.
The fact that Government Motors said the VOLT was the way to go and would save GM?
You know the 230mpg pile of junk that gets about 25mpg if you actually USE the entire range of the car(on premium ONLY) and costs north of 40K.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Senior Chief

Hey Dopey stay on topic...........Chevy Cruze!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just answering his question. Matildawhore 2 1/2.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Suspended

Quote:

Since you're really SLOW on the up-take,i spell it out for you:It means as usual GM is a day late & dollar short.THey should have been concentrating on cars like these instead of the car that nobody wants-The Volt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador-IV View Post
Yet another useless post.......
DOesn't change the fact that i'm right....AGAIN.Deal with it.BTW-did i tell you today that GM still SUCKS?

Old 07-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Cruze is a pretty good effort from a start up car company. Name another start up that could produce/sell that many cars in a month. Helps to have the resources of the Fed Gov't at your disposal of course.

The Cruze Eco only gets 42 mpg with the man trans, chiefly because of tall trans gearing. The auto trans Eco is lower mpg, does very little better than a regular Cruze, owing to some weight reduction and some other nifty tricks.

No spare tire in the Cruze, wave of the future.

My wife will be adding to our fleet soon, son will get use of her '08 Honda Civic sedan. Consistent 35 mpg at 78 mph highway since new. Now 43k miles. She absolutely loves it, still does nothing for me but the fuel economy is nice.

She didn't want another Honda because she thinks you shouldn't have two of the same model in the driveway.

She checked out the Elantra (she really likes the exterior but was very disappointed by the interior), the Mazda 3 & 6 (no interest, biggest engines, lowest mpg), the Cruze (better interior than the Elantra but not great), the VW Golf (doesn't want a diesel TDI, nothing exciting about the rest of them), Ford Focus (ditto the VW), and the new Civic (loves her dash but the '11 is even better and highway fuel economy is rated 3 mpg higher than the '08).

After she saw all those I asked, if you were buying today, which one would it be? She didn't hesitate a millisecond, the Civic was her choice. I think she started with an open mind, in fact wanted to find something else to like, and still favored the Honda after checking the rest.

She is not averse to a man trans and I would prefer it, though the Civic man trans gets poorer fuel economy than the auto trans and they are all but impossible to find around here. I would like the Cruze Eco with a 6 spd. Not sure if they are very available. I don't worry about resale because I keep my cars forever. But there is a reason man trans cars are so hard to find new. Not that popular. And when it comes to resale, the same holds true.

Given the premium you pay for diesel fuel today (about 10% over reg unleaded around me), the increased fuel economy has to be discounted (we discussed that about the Golf TDI). So don't count on the Cruze diesel to be wildly successful either.

Time will tell if the Cruze and the new GM succeeds. The old GM practically invented the concept of brand loyalty and Honda & Toyota in particular now have their own legion of fans that if they plan to switch at all, might expect to go for an Acura or Lexus respectively. Honda and Toyota would have to royally screw the pooch for them to switch brands.

MikeNoun, good link on the new Aveo/Sonic. I've been saying for years that GM needs to recruit the next generation of brand loyalists. The old GM abandoned the entry level youth market and focused on aging boomers. We know where that company ended up. The new GM can't afford to ignore first time car buyers.

What GM needs more than 25,000 Cruze buyers per month is to make those buyers so pleased with their purchase that the next time they'll buy nothing but a GM. The old GM managed to turn millions of consumers off after they bought exceedingly disappointing GM products. Time will tell if the Cruze is as good as a Civic or Corolla or Elantra for that matter. Remember, the old GM sold over 800,000 Citations in its first year, also the best selling US car in its day. I bet a lot of those folks never bought another GM car.

To say GM continues to deliver is a bit of empty boasting. GM will have started to deliver if buyers are speaking highly of their new Cruze when the warranty runs out.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
What GM needs more than 25,000 Cruze buyers per month is to make those buyers so pleased with their purchase that the next time they'll buy nothing but a GM. The old GM managed to turn millions of consumers off after they bought exceedingly disappointing GM products. Time will tell if the Cruze is as good as a Civic or Corolla or Elantra for that matter. Remember, the old GM sold over 800,000 Citations in its first year, also the best selling US car in its day. I bet a lot of those folks never bought another GM car.

To say GM continues to deliver is a bit of empty boasting. GM will have started to deliver if buyers are speaking highly of their new Cruze when the warranty runs out.
John,Stop with the logic.It'll make the GM shill's heads explode.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My head just a-sploded.

Thanks John. Appreciate the insights (once again).

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post

My head just a-sploded.

Thanks John. Appreciate the insights (once again).

K

Old 07-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 87 Chevy Sprint TURBO got 47 MPG , no problems, and its right on the window sticker
I dont know why getting 40+ mpg is such a big deal.

Oh yeah , it was a Suzuki actually.....but still....