THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Illinois-Where Our Ex-Governors Make Our License Plates
Default Octane Supreme 130

Went to order a case of Octane Supreme 130 this morning and Kemco's web site (domain name) seems to have expired on 5/11/11. Checked other places and they are all out of stock. Anyone know what's going on?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I heard Father died..... kids closed the business...

Which leaves me without much of a choice...... back to Sunoco 100 GT at stupid $$$$/gal.

Anyone have any ideas....

Toluene?

Av Gas 100LL?

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 05-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just use Toluene or xylene, I ran it in my 11.5:1 455 with no problems. Always kept a can in the car if I needed to fill up, and home depots are all over the place anyway. Much better than tracking down a auto parts store, and octane boosters never seemed to work.

I ran 1 gallon can to 15 gallons of 92 octane gas.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgen455 View Post
Just use Toluene or xylene, I ran it in my 11.5:1 455 with no problems. Always kept a can in the car if I needed to fill up, and home depots are all over the place anyway. Much better than tracking down a auto parts store, and octane boosters never seemed to work.

I ran 1 gallon can to 15 gallons of 92 octane gas.
Really? Just pour it in?

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com
[www.reverbnation.com/nikivee

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible
2015 Dodge Challenger ScatPack 392, 6 speed
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 05-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The problem with avgas is finding an FBO(fixed based operator) that will sell it to you.
Most major FBO chains(Mercury, Signature,Atlantic Aviation) won't fool with you. Try to
find the small airports. Most of these guys are glad to sell the fuel, but will probably want you to buy at least 15-20gals. The FBO I worked for back home had a 50gal min.
Additionally, 100LL is going to be phased out in the not-so-distant future. You can thank
the EPA for this!!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickv View Post
Really? Just pour it in?
Yep big race car funnel. I would put the the toluene first then pump in the gas on top and for good measure do the 50/50 shock test for a few seconds.

Only problem I had was it may have been what caused the rubber fuel line to leak while it was sitting. I don't think it is a problem if you contentiously use it. I let the car sit for a year a it got a leak. Could have been the cheap rubber now-a-days or the toluene being heavier than the gas settled and started to corrode the rubber. Never had a problem on a day to day basis.

Did get asked a bunch what kinda fuel I ran. it does smell different. I also ran a pint of Type F to keep the top end lubed up too.

I used to read the Grand Nat turbo 6 forums all the time, that's where I found out about it. If I remember it's already added to the gas to raise the octane.

Last edited by thirdgen455; 05-17-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just make sure you don't inhale the toluene vapors, or you won't be mixing it with gas anymore. No joke. Be friggin careful with that crap!

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Just make sure you don't inhale the toluene vapors, or you won't be mixing it with gas anymore. No joke. Be friggin careful with that crap!
Big 10-4 on that one. Know which way the wind is blowing, and watch your paint.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good to know. I am draining the tank in my 69 soon since it hsn't been started in year. There may be 12-15 gallons in there which I want to transfer to a 02' Lincoln.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTONUT View Post
Av Gas 100LL?
Yup. Most airport pumps require you to enter a tail number before they'll pump. Hint: You're at an airport. Look around.

Please be sure to put the ground strap on the fuel jug. And set it on the ground, not in the car trunk or pickup truck bed. If you're using nitrous, check with your setup's manufacturer to see if avgas is safe. Some say it isn't.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 05-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thirdgen455 you say home depot sells toluene? What product is it? Or do I just walk in and ask for toluene?
thanks,
Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 05-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by importsmasher View Post
Thirdgen455 you say home depot sells toluene? What product is it? Or do I just walk in and ask for toluene?
thanks,
Importsmasher
its on the paint thinner isle, it was in a blue 1 gallon square can.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...4415c3_300.jpg

this is the Xylene can should look the same just say toluene on it, if they still carry it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=klean...w=1280&bih=647

google shopping search comes up with it.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just noticed the part number Klean Strip GTO-42, they must be pandering to the Pontiac crowd.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I went thru hazmat training they showed us a film of what Toulene can do. Firefighters cut into a storage tank that had had toulene in it to rescue someone. Needless to say it blew up killing several men. It wasn't a pretty sight but drove home the point they wanted us to learn.

Another was of a storage tank that had had Toulene in it and the plant mgrs sent a kid in to clean the tank without a SCBA or safety gear. The dropped him by a line from the top inside. After several minutes of hollering to him and getting no responce they called the Rescue Squad. They got there and pulled the rope up with only a dead body hanging off it.

And Xylene is just as dangerous. I'm suprized HomeDepot and Lowes even carry them, let alone allow anyone to buy either one.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is some good info from Tempest455, a member of this site. Here is a link to his page on fuel.
https://home.comcast.net/~ericdouthitt/pump_gas.htm

Frame off (resto mod) 68 GTO - 406, 0-deck, E-Head home port 87cc, TRW L2279F30, Comp. flat solid .577/.577 - 248/248@.050 110LS. 700R4, Precision Industries 3 disc 10" lockup 3500rpm, Moser 9" 4.11, Detroit Locker.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

here is the MSDS for it, you should always be careful around chemicals. Know what it is, and what it does.

http://www.wmbarr.com/ProductFiles/rCTO42.pdf

kinda reminds me of when I worked for a motorcycle parts distributor. We had all kinds of toxic things we dealt with. Mercury in the Carburetor Sync tools, lead and electrolyte in the battery's, paints and cleaning supplys. Worked there for two years telling people that some of this stuff will make you sick. Siad theu should have a msds book around here with all the info in it. after the 2 years, they decided to dust it off the old MSDS book and made everyone do hazmat training. I had already done hazmat training at 2 other jobs. The company was suppose to give us the training before they hit the warehouse floor. But we had a dumb blond lady as a manager who could tell between a cam and clutch, why would the higher ups think she would know about chemicals.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatman-68 View Post
There is some good info from Tempest455, a member of this site. Here is a link to his page on fuel.
https://home.comcast.net/~ericdouthitt/pump_gas.htm

I think I read that back when I was using the stuff all the time. I tried to read everything I could and not just take one persons word on it. very good article!

Old 05-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have 5 or 6 quarts of the octane supreme from about 4 years ago. Does it go bad?

Old 05-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as entering a tail number, I always entered N-O-N-E. I'm pretty sure the tail number thing is only to track the last fill up if a plane goes missing. I ran AV Gas for 23 years and the engine is still going strong. I finally gave up a few years ago on it because they recalled all the gate cards at the local airport and you had to have a plane on site to get a new card. It was about a half mile from the walk-in gate to the pumps and I'm getting too old (or at least too lazy) to haul 20 gallons of fuel that far. I replaced my 12.8:1 iron heads on the drag car with a set of 87cc Edelbrocks that get along fine on the 91 octane pump gas. Lot less work getting fuel and a lot less expensive...

Old 05-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

AV-Gas is designed for high altitudes, I would be cautious using it.

Toluene or Xylene is nice, but have you priced this stuff? $20 a gallon?

Torco Accelerator is the best stuff out there. They come is 32oz cans, you can order it through your local speed shop, or get a case off E-Bay for around $100. It doesn't just raise octane a point the way the off-the-shelf stuff that Pep Boys or Auto Zone sells, it actually raises the octane to noticable levels.

Mix a 32 oz. can with 10 gallons of 91 Premium to make 102 octane.
Mix a 32 oz. can with 5 gallons of 91 Premium Unleaded to make 105 octane.

I found Torco Accelerator a couple years ago after reading about it on the Turbo Buick board. They all seem to love the stuff, and we know how sensitive the turbos are to detonation.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.