Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 04-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 1badcat
Default 67 Catalina round port headers

Does anyone know of a source for round port headers to fit a 67 Catalina. Looks like a bear to fit with the steering box in the way, but I'm hopin'. Does anyone have an educated guess on how much power could I expect to loose on a 650 horse motor if I used 3" aftermarket cast iron headers versus 4 tube headers- both thru a 3" full exhaust system? I'm guessing 25-30 horse, but realize there are alot of variables.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Pontiac performance Author

You should talk to Paul Delfield at Ram Air Restorations Enterprises (RARE). He gave a talk about power comparisons between headers and the RARE manifolds at Pontiac Heaven recently. IIRC, 15-20HP on a mufflered system was his claim. Your higher HP engine would make a difference, of course.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 1badcat

HI Craig-
Thanks for the reply. I spoke to Paul at the Pontiac Oakland/GTO Nationals in 2009-and bought some items from him then- real nice guy. I wasn't aware of the test results on his 3" manifolds, but am planning to use his manifolds if I can't locate 4 tube headers. His products for those who haven't seen them are top quality!
Many years ago ( about 30 yrs ago-I'm still in it too) I subsribed to your monthly news letter. Sure wish I could revisit those years in the Pontiac hobby, but then I guess we all do!
I really appreciated your input- both then and now.You are one of the great Pontiac "knowledge sources" , and I'm glad you're still in the "game".