THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fictional character you can relate to...

I won't confine this to any one genre so it can be literature, movies, tv, cartoons, etc. No strict rationale required either; it can be someone you admire, resemble, share traits with, whatever.

I'm going to have to say Dwight Schrute (played by Rainn Wilson) from the TV series "The Office".

Old 03-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Senior Chief

Considering the fact that I've been in a serious FTW type of mood lately... ... I'll go with 'Two and a Half Men' star and current bipolar basket case Charlie Sheen. Seriously.

Scott

'70 Lemans Sport - Upgrades: HEI, console, dual-gate shifter, tilt steering, formula wheel, dual exhaust, dash clock, stock 4v intake, Q-jet, dual snorkel air cleaner, GTO hood, hood tach, GTO spoiler, chrome Rally II's and sport stripe.

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 03-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If my sister pisses me off any more, I just might resemble Michael Douglas's character in "Falling Down".

Old 03-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69goatboy View Post
If my sister pisses me off any more, I just might resemble Michael Douglas's character in "Falling Down".
Ooooo... GOOD one. Like the idea of saying "F' it", setting aside this foolish "be a better man" BS and embracing my inner A-hole... pretty sure I don't want to kill/be killed for it though.

Scott

'70 Lemans Sport - Upgrades: HEI, console, dual-gate shifter, tilt steering, formula wheel, dual exhaust, dash clock, stock 4v intake, Q-jet, dual snorkel air cleaner, GTO hood, hood tach, GTO spoiler, chrome Rally II's and sport stripe.

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 03-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dunno,probably some sorta freakish cross mutation between Eric Cartman from South Park,Nelson Muntz from the Simpsons,and Butthead from Beavis & butthead.

Live action character,,,hmmm that's harder,,,maybe Curly from the three stooges???

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:15 AM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Harry Callahan.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The "Dude"....from the Cohen Bros. film

Old 03-06-2011, 03:32 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

Perry White, Executive Editor of the Daily Planet.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 03-06-2011, 04:14 AM

Jack Reacher

Old 03-06-2011, 04:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Phil Dunphy from "Modern Family".

Actually, Ed O'neil's character "Jay" has it going on. His wife "Gloria" (Sofia Vergara) is super smokin'!

Old 03-06-2011, 05:06 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Holm View Post
Jack Reacher
Cool... another Lee Child fan. If you like those you might like some of the following:

[Author - Main Character(s)]

Stephen Hunter - Earl Swagger/Bob Lee Swagger
Robert Crais - Elvis Cole/Joe Pike
Steve Hamilton - Alex McKnight
Harlen Coben - Myron Bolitar

All excellent reads IMO.

Scott

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 03-06-2011, 05:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal70lemans View Post
Cool... another Lee Child fan. If you like those you might like some of the following:

[Author - Main Character(s)]

Robert Crais - Elvis Cole/Joe Pike
Steve Hamilton - Alex McKnight
Harlen Coben - Myron Bolitar

All excellent reads IMO.

Scott
Stands to reason that another V-Max owner would have good taste. :0

I've read all of the books by all of those authors except Steve Hamilton; I don't think I've run across one of his yet. I'll have to download some and check 'em out - thanks!

Reacher is pretty good, except when Child lets some of his British or politics show through.

I'll add Barry Eisler's John Rain books to your list. It's rare to see an assassin-for-hire as the protagonist in a series.

For me? I wouldn't complain if I had Travis McGee's life.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:42 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
Stands to reason that another V-Max owner would have good taste. :0

I've read all of the books by all of those authors except Steve Hamilton; I don't think I've run across one of his yet. I'll have to download some and check 'em out - thanks!

I'll add Barry Eisler's John Rain books to your list. It's rare to see an assassin-for-hire as the protagonist in a series.
Back at ya.

The Alex McKnight books are based out of Paradise, MI... kind of a "hometown" boy for me as a lifelong MI resident.

I read the first three John Rain books and remember liking them, but moved on and didn't read any more for some reason.

A few more suggestions for some downtime entertainment that you might like:

Randy Wayne White - Doc Ford (also an assassin protagonist)
T. Jefferson Parker - Charlie Hood
C.J. Box - Joe Pickett
Clinton McKinzie - Antonio Burns (only read three of his novels and liked them, but I never saw anything from the guy after that)

Scott

PS You still in Iraq? I can dig through my old books and send you anything I might still have that you haven't read yet.

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
If you're gonna be Bob Lee, son, you need to spend some more time at the range.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had never really compared myself to a fictional character, but after giving it some thought I decided on Goggles Pisano.

In reality just a regular working stiff, but always trying to be a little bit more.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 03-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would have to say lately Al bundy! Nothings been going right I have no luck and Im eady to pull my hair out!

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 03-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Boost Engineer

Some people have commented that I remind them of G. Gordon Liddy based on my own comments.

I can think of worst people to be compared to.

Quotes by G. Gordon Liddy;

* August 26, 1994 - Now if the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms comes to disarm you and they are bearing arms, resist them with arms. Go for a head shot; they're going to be wearing bulletproof vests." ... "They've got a big target on there, ATF. Don't shoot at that, because they've got a vest on underneath that. Head shots, head shots.... Kill the sons of b*tches.

* September 15, 1994 - If the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms insists upon a firefight, give them a firefight. Just remember, they're wearing flak jackets and you're better off shooting for the head.

Liddy claimed that his detractors omit some important context:
“I was talking about a situation in which law enforcement agents come smashing into a house, don't say who they are, and their guns are out, they're shooting, and they're in the wrong place. This has happened time and time again. The ATF has gone in and gotten the wrong guy in the wrong place. The law is that if somebody is shooting at you, using deadly force, the mere fact that they are a law enforcement officer, if they are in the wrong, does not mean you are obliged to allow yourself to be killed so your kinfolk can have a wrongful death action. You are legally entitled to defend yourself and I was speaking of exactly those kind of situations. If you're going to do that, you should know that they're wearing body armor so you should use a head shot. Now all I'm doing is stating the law, but all the nuances in there got left out when the story got repeated."

The difference is G. Gordon would burn his flesh with a cigarette lighter to show how much pain he could stand, if interrogated. I know for a fact that anyone can be "broken" given enough time with the right person asking the questions.

I do not think I am tough like G. Gordon thinks he is.

Tom Vaught

ps G. Gordon once told the C.I.A. that if you "wanted him gone", tell him the street corner and he would be there waiting for the bullet to arrive. (what a wacco)

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:51 PM

King's Gunslinger.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Senior Chief

I guess I must be bi-polar because when I read the question I thought of Wiley Coyote and Mr. Wizzard, sometimes sh!t works and sometimes it just blows up in your face.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you asked me 6-8 years ago it would have been Duchovny's Hank Moody on Californication - today it's more like Afflech's Neil in He's Just Not That Into You.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978