Old 03-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone seen this car?

I'd like to locate my first GTO:

2467QZ103328

Old 03-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With that VIN, I don't think anybody has seen it!

Let me guess....24267OZ103328

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about some specifications?

Old 03-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry guys, I just found an old registration and was excited to post it and see if anyone had seen it.

It would appear the Ca. DMV omitted the 2 in the 242 sequence and improperly recorded a Q instead of O. I think the Boss' guess was on target.

The car was my first GTO which I bought in California in 1985. The car is a convertible and was equipped with a 400 and TH-400. It had PS, PB, AC, and roll up windows. The car was originally Q Gold, Black top, Saddle interior. When I got it, it was crappy black paint with a ton of body damage. My father and I repaired the damage and painted the car a light yellow. It carried personalized plates "1FUNRAG."

I sold the car in 1989 to a guy from central CA. and haven't seen or heard from it since.

Thanks guys,

-Matt

Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 GHOST View Post
Sorry guys, I just found an old registration and was excited to post it and see if anyone had seen it.

It would appear the Ca. DMV omitted the 2 in the 242 sequence and improperly recorded a Q instead of O. I think the Boss' guess was on target.

The car was my first GTO which I bought in California in 1985. The car is a convertible and was equipped with a 400 and TH-400. It had PS, PB, AC, and roll up windows. The car was originally Q Gold, Black top, Saddle interior. When I got it, it was crappy black paint with a ton of body damage. My father and I repaired the damage and painted the car a light yellow. It carried personalized plates "1FUNRAG."

I sold the car in 1989 to a guy from central CA. and haven't seen or heard from it since.

Thanks guys,

-Matt
You can try doing a VIN search. I think I used www.abika.com when I did one a few years ago. You probably won't find the owner's name and address that way, but should be able to find out if it's been reported stolen, totalled, etc.

Maybe also try a Carfax report; that might get you some hits, too.

If you have a friend in the police dept, maybe he/she can run the VIN for you and see what comes back.

Don't forget to google the VIN just in case another owner has posted it somewhere.

If you're not sure on the VIN, check your old insurance paperwork or with your insurance company at the time.

Also, spend $20 and take out an ad in the classifieds for the paper in the town where it was sold. Something like this in the classic cars classifieds section, "Looking for information on 1970 GTO convt, 1FUNRAG plates, sold in 1989 to Joe Blow..."

Good luck.

Scott

Old 03-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did the California DMV search for about $25 and they had the title history on my Formula back to the early 80's so I bet yours would have a good chance of showing up. Here is the form I used, you would need to do the vehicle/vessel search: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inf/inf70.pdf
Took about 3 weeks and gave me past owners names and dates of ownership as well as what state the title went to when it left California. If you do the search, you might want to list both the correct VIN and the incorrect one they had it recorded under along with the old license plate.