Old 01-23-2011, 12:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Zappa's 68
Default Body Mounts - Energy Suspension

There is no specific kit for body mounts for a 68. My question is will the 68 chevelle body mounts work.....I gotta believe all A bodys are the same.....or at least close?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

chevelle kits dont have enough bushings..in 68 the chevelle uses one bushing at the cowl GTO uses 2...i dont know the total number for sure, but i know the GTO uses more..there are blanks and there are working mounts...its about ride quality im sure..Buicks are the same way more bushings, but Ive seen cutlass' both ways....

Old 01-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Energy Suspension does make a '68 body bushing kit. PY sells it, I believe it is part # RPU272A. Energy Suspension's part # I believe is 3.4115G. The kit doesn't include the metal sleeves, it is just the bushings. PY makes a hardware kit that includes the bolts and washers but no sleeves. I am debating reusing my sleeves since most of them are good but a few are pretty rotted. I'm not sure where to just buy the sleeves.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought it was only convertibles with the extra bushing under the cowl.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

it depends..all buicks use 2 bushings at the front...some GTOs do..they will either have 2 working bushings, or 1 working and one blank but they are equipped to use 2..and i have seen them equipped to use 2 and only have 1 with a bolt thru it and none in the second position....ive seen them both ways, but not sure whats correct..al 69-72 GPs use 2 at the cowl...I sell 20 or 30 front stubs to roundy round guys a year....

Old 01-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 69 has two working mounts and two blank mounts under the cowl section. One and one on each side.

I bought my kit from the Paddock (everyone else was out of stock at the time) years ago, IIRC. It also included the core support bushings as well.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting info, thanks!

If all else fails, you could always order a kit for a chevelle convertible. The problem is the metal inserts, as noted. Hell I threw some decent ones away, if I'd have know you needed them I would have saved a few.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I may just post a wanted ad on here, I only need like 2 or 3. I forget what size they are though, it looks like there are 2 or 3 different sized sleeves. I should have grabbed a few when I was at the junkyard last, I found a really nice '68 Tempest 4-door grandma car that I bet had some nice body mounts on it.
The Chevelle kit may come with the sleeves but I didn't want to guess at it.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I forgot to mention that the kit I got was a generic A-body kit, well at least I think it was.

But I do remember that the mounts had "Chevrolet" embossed on them, just like the old original ones I took out.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Senior Chief

Try here for sleeves:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#spacers-and-standoffs/=aqihc1

Old 01-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does anyone know if I was to cold galvanize these sleeves, if it would be worth it to do it, and if it will affect anything like the polyurethane or other metal around it? I doubt it would harm anything but just checking. I was thinking of buying a can of the Rustoleum cold galvanize stuff.