Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default BIG wire crimp !

whats the right way to crimp these at home ? these are for batt. cables.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sorry . pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0393.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	231589  

Old 01-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The last time I used those style terminals I soldered them directly to the cable by cleaning everything, filled the end of the terminal full of flux, inserted the cable, heated it up and melted solder directly into the terminal pocket. Crimping and soldering would probably be better but at the time I didn't have access to a big enough crimper.

Stewart

1976 TA, nose converted to 1970 style, 406, ported #13 Heads, '70 iron intake without crossovers, Q-Jet - Cliff style, RARE OS manifolds, Pypes duals w/crossflow, UD 230/238 custom HR 4/7 swap cam with solid roller lifters , Hydro-Boost 4-wheel discs, 4 Speed, 3.23 posi.

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” - Winston Churchill
Old 01-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With a BFH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crimper.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	231591  

Old 01-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Napa makes solder pellets that you can insert in those cable lugs, to solder the cables into the lugs, no crimping needed.
Cut back the insulation to the length you want in the terminal. It may take more than one pellet, some lugs have a void in the end, it fills up w/ solder, Solder off a roll would work also...I usually use heat shrink over the connection...Easy...
Wear gloves when you heat up the lug w/ torch.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 01-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

+1 on the BFH deal, using a custom ground punch with a wide rounded end on it. Then I solder them to help improve continuity between the parts......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 01-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just bought this one..... works good.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...80567/10002/-1

Old 01-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The photo above is kind-of how half my cables were done.
The other half was done by a draw-bar crimp at the welding cable shop.

I tried soldering some of the crimps: seems unnecessary (from a fella that solders nearly all my car wiring).

Old 01-21-2011, 07:28 PM

I use a tool i bought from home deoot it is for swaging (sp?) or crimping sleaves on cables it looks like bolt cutter has several sizes on it it will crimp those fittings from 8guage on up to 1 guage. nice solid crimp and easy to solder. It works a lot better(for me ) than the hammer crimping tool

Old 01-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by limejudge69 View Post
With a BFH
Thats how I did it. First I tried some huge channel locks I had, but still ended up useing a hammer to be sure. Didnt look very pretty though.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks guys. maybe time to invest in a tool !

Old 01-22-2011, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the hammer crimp tool with a BFH.

FYI: some of these crimp tools may need minor "adjustment" (ie:minor grinding) so the crimp mandrel/punch fits into the V portion better.

I also solder my connections as well (be sure to use some liquid flux as well if not using those solder pellets),then heatshrink the connection.

Never any problems with durabillity.

And I also check mine for resistance (never any to speak of).

Agree the big "bolt cutter" style crimpers are nice,but more $$$ for sure.

And yeah,there are always local places that can do the crimp/solder stuff for you if your not into the whole DIY thing.

HTH

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingchief View Post
I use the hammer crimp tool with a BFH.

FYI: some of these crimp tools may need minor "adjustment" (ie:minor grinding) so the crimp mandrel/punch fits into the V portion better.
I own the hammer-crimping tool similar to what has been posted previously. Works great; but then it's 20+ years old and not a Chinese import. I won't vouch for "new" tools; but really--how difficult can it be to build a crimper powered by a hammer?

I used a hydraulic cable crimper at my former employer; really wonderful and tremendously expensive.

Quote:
I also solder my connections as well (be sure to use some liquid flux as well if not using those solder pellets),then heatshrink the connection.

Never any problems with durabillity.
Haven't soldered my crimps; I think I'll try that next time. Clearly this is a place where you DO NOT use acid flux. Yes, heat shrink tubing is a gift from God.

Quote:
And I also check mine for resistance (never any to speak of).
That interests me. What are you using to check resistance of a bigass battery cable?

First Guess: You'd learn more from a voltage drop test where the cable is carrying ~200 amps during the test instead of the low current of an ohmmeter.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey
I own the hammer-crimping tool similar to what has been posted previously. Works great; but then it's 20+ years old and not a Chinese import. I won't vouch for "new" tools; but really--how difficult can it be to build a crimper powered by a hammer?
Just telling them to check how well their specific tool crimps before diving in head first with it,sometimes the "punch" portion just does'nt line up all that well with the "V block" portion of the tool,so I'm glad yours was fine,but I have used more than a few of these tools thru the years,and in my experience it's often a bit hit-or-miss just how well these tools will make a good/straight/solid crimp,I mean after all they get the snot smacked outta them as SOP,so I was just pointing out that from time to time it's a good idea to make sure the thing is indeed making a good strong crimp,one that is centered nicely on the lug your crimping,but hey that's just some friendly advice to others here,advice they're free to heed or ignore,no sweat off my back.

Quote:
Haven't soldered my crimps; I think I'll try that next time. Clearly this is a place where you DO NOT use acid flux. Yes, heat shrink tubing is a gift from God.
Honestly,I dont even think they sell the stronger acid based flux anymore,seems the EPA frowns on that sorta stuff,we used to use that kinda stuff back when I was making pellet guns for Benjamin/Sheridan,but even back then they made us switch that strong acid based flux out for the "newer" breed of milder flux.

And that was like 20 years ago.

Anyhow:FYI Those solder pellets contain rosin,so one way or the other,if you solder the connection,your gonna to be using some sorta anti-oxidation agent in there to assure that the metal is clean & so the solder will flow nicely and bond to the metal properly,be it via the Rosin in those pellets,or from a mild liquid flux (often both are recommended).

Even Rosin can be mildly acidic once it's heated to soldering temps.

Anyhow,try doing it without such,and the odds are your gonna have a big 'ol mess on your hands.

Quote:
That interests me. What are you using to check resistance of a bigass battery cable?

First Guess: You'd learn more from a voltage drop test where the cable is carrying ~200 amps during the test instead of the low current of an ohmmeter.
Yeah,maybe I should have been clearer on that,yes I check for any voltage drops after everything is assembled & in use.

So is the third degree over now???

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Boost Engineer

I soldered/ shrink tubed my connections after I had a welding shop crimp the ends on the cable I bought from them. I figured out the lengths, bought the 00 welding cable, and the correct ends. They installed the ends for free.

At least in the Detroit area, good welding shops supply a lot of guys welding trucks their cables as they see constant wear.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
thanks guys. maybe time to invest in a tool !
Go to home depot get one of the cable crimpers you will not regret it makes very nice clean predictable good looking crimps. bought mine 5 years or so ago found a lot of uses for it over the years

Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I drilled a hole in one side of mine and then used the BFH approach. After that I heated the whole deal with a torch and worked solder into the hole.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.