Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pontiac RIP: Living well is the best revenge

Having served the Pontiac Division for nearly all my 20+ years in the advertising and marketing business, there is so much I want to say, and so much I can't, because there has already been too much hurt and damage.

But, know in your heart that the true believers fought to the last man. The people who truly loved the brand and believed in it literally worked 24 hours a day to serve it and save it. There were many, and someday when the truth comes out their names will be written next to Knudsen and Estes and Delorean, to Wangers and Monchak and Graham, to Nell and Adams and Beswick, to Collins and Malone and Warner.

But now, it is officially history. Pontiac died for the sins of everyone who believed in the law of average, and now, they outnumber the passionate by a wide enough margin to carry the day.

But, unlike other brands consigned to the scrap heap of broken dreams and cheated hearts, we have an opportunity to show the f**kers they were wrong. Wrong to write it off, wrong to make us share the engines, wrong to let the nincompoops have the final say.

Our revenge is simple and civil: Drive your Pontiac every chance you get.

Not just to meet with other Pontiac owning greybeards huddled at the at the cruise night or the Saturday coffee run.The more we just tell each other about how wonderful we used to be,the more we are like a sewing circle of batty old ladies.

Our revolution began in the street and there it shall live. Drive your Cats and Bonnevilles and Chieftans and Grandvilles to church and to school, drive them to work and on vacation.

Put up your hand to drive your LeMans or 2+2 the next time the kids need a ride, or the homecoming queen needs a pedestal. Park your Tempests and GTO's and Firebirds and Grand Ams in front of the door at the auto shop, the parts store, or the nightclub, rev them at the light and let them lope through the parking lot on your way home.

Give the neighbor kids a ride in the Chieftan or the Ventura, take them out for ice cream in the Formula or the H.O. and tell them this is the way it could have been for them. Let your kids drive it to school, show it off to your friends, wash it in your driveway and let them roar on the freeway.

Doesn't matter if it is a Star Chief or a Super Duty: you are the last men and women to hold the flame. And if the people who lit it over half a century ago are watching from that great Dyno Cell in the Sky, we have the duty to raise it high and hold it there, because the people with the imitation cars that run on soy sauce and sunny days who act like they invented the wheel will have to work the next thousand years to replicate the first ten seconds behind the wheel of a real Pontiac.

The rest of the world can kiss our @$$, because we were right, our cars were the best, and no one, repeat no one can ever rewrite our history.

Gentlemen, start your engines.

We have a legend to uphold. And tonight we ride.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Right On, Good BuddY!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well said, & Thanks to all for fighting the good fight.

There is no better life than that lived behind the wheel of a Big '60s Pontiac.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 11-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ragtop Man, very well said and that's what I intended to do even before I read this inspiring post. I have probably 20 or so years left to keep driving my cars, I won't buy anything else I will continue to drive used Pontiacs. I have only owned 1 new car in my lifetime which I guess God was telling me when I was debating about buying the 2005 GTO it was certainly going to be the last time in my lifetime I would have a chance to buy a brand new GTO that hadn't been thrashed by someone else before I owned it. I bought the car and I intend to hold on to it til I pass. 2 days after buying the car GM announced there would be no 2007 GTO so I went right up to the last minute before I bought my new GTO.

I've owned 8 other examples of used GTO's and 6 examples of Trans Ams and many other of just transportation Pontiacs (last time I ran a total close to 60 cars). They have always provided me with great basic transportation as well as as many smiles per gallon. They been the basis of 5 oval track Pontiac race cars that I had great success with at my hometown track in the 70s and 80s and all had a Stratostreak engine under the hood.

I guess a Pontiac feels to me just like a comfortable pair of shoes that you continue to buy until the manufacturer decides to stop making your favorite style, you just keep wearing the ones you have til they are no longer usable.

Oh and by the way I didn't stop buying of driving Pontiacs after the 70s as many on here say that the division died after 79 or 81. The division didn't die, the Stratostreak engine did and to eliminate the whole division based on the powerplant is so shortsighted. Even if Pontiac had not been forced to use a corporate engine I have little doubt that the Stratosteak engine would still be under the hoods of Pontiacs, even in 1970 Pontiac was commiting to make another engine not based on the Stratostreak design, remember it appeared on the cover of HOT ROD magazine.

Unless you have 450 cars stored in the AZ desert to keep taking parts from and devote your whole life to an engine I don't think it's very practical to say the division died in 1979 or even in 1981. You have to drive something after 1981, was it a chevy, ford, toyota, honda??????? To my knowledge none of them had a Stratostreak engine under the hood either. You can't have it both ways.

I know I have had corporate powered cars but one thing remained the same, the cars in my driveway had a red arrowhead on them and to call yourself a PONTIADDICT when your driving another divisions car or another brand completely seems to be somewhat hypocritical to me. In my opinion Pontiac made some pretty good cars after 1981 and to refuse to recognize them as Pontiacs is only depriving yourself of driving some well made and excellent driving cars.

This is my opinion, and you won't change it, so bash away.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 11-02-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 AM

I can't think of a thing to add. Well said RM

Regards,
Vince
Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 PM

Amen brother!

2004 GTO
Old 11-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenzo View Post
I can't think of a thing to add. Well said RM