THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default G/M Complaint

Been having trouble out of a G/M Dealership and everytime the vehicle goes in they can't find the problem, the vehicle comes back not fully put back together or they brake something on it. I've talked to the service manager and the general manager and it seems they don't give a sh??. Does anyone know how to get in touch with G/M to file a formal complaint.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:12 PM

look in your owners manual. There'll be customer service nuber

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yea, i had that problem with a 95 chevy dually. i got their attention when i sued chevy for almost 10 years and beat their ass in every court they made me take them to. i now drive fords.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This has been happening since around 2000. GM lost their customer service, they hired cheap labor for Service Managers, and their corporate offices are staffed to be politically correct. End result was a bunch of pissed off customers, customer loyalty sank, GM continued to hire non-automotive people to run their company, and customers swore off GM products forever. If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a recipe for bankruptcy. No wonder GM stock went from $94.00 a share in 1999 to being worthless in 2009.

As for your problem, start with Customer Service, at least they will contact the dealership directly and get an answer from them. 99% of the time, they will get the same answer you already got from the dealership, but this is where you have to start.

Next, whatever the problem is, do a search on the web for the problem. You will find databases of recalls and TSB's (technical service bulletins) about the problem you have, assuming it's a problem that's occurred in other people's cars. If you find a specific TSB about the issue you have, PRINT OUT the TSB and take it to the dealership with you. The GM Service Managers won't lift a finger to help you. Most of them came from working the counter at Taco Bell or McDonald's.

When I had a problem that Oldsmobile couldn't fix, I did a web search, and found over 50 complaints about the EXACT same issue I had, and this issue is what the Oldsmobile Service Manager claimed "Gee.....never heard of this problem before". Turns out there was a TSB issued every year for the past 5 years about the problem on my Oldsmobile.

This is America today. You have to do the legwork yourself. Most workers are too busy watching the clock, texting friends, and trying to sneak out early to play a round of golf to care about customer service anymore. You have to step up and press the issue, because no one at GM cares anymore.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is this just a problem with this dealership or have you tried taking the vehicle to various dealerships?

Old 10-08-2010, 01:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

guess i'm lucky, the GM dealership I use to work on my vehicles has always fixed the problem, 98% of the time while I wait, i've had great service from them!

Old 10-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Read this and there is an 800 number to call and some suggestions about dealership shortcomings:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ce-dept-54664/

I had trouble with the front end on my 05 GTO and took it back to the selling dealer. I was treated like a woman off the street and I have over 35 years working on cars as well as owned my own garage. Basically I was told there was no problem and the only reason the front tires were down to the cords at 17,000 was because I didn't rotate them which I did. I was so mad at the time I was going to sell the car.

As Mike says document the problems if you can off the web. The front ends on the GTOs had chronic problems because of the way the cars were shipped from Australia on boats to the US. I went to a different dealer and was treated completely different the looked at the stuff I printed off the net ( first service manager told me that unless it came from GM they wouldn't recognize anything from the internet) and I gave them the part numbers of the parts I had secured from another service manager in Indiana.

I also lodged a complaint with GM and for my trouble got a free extended warranty on all front end components almost double the time and miles. The attitude of the 2 dealerships was remarkably different and the car with the corrected front end has gone over 30,000 miles now and is just starting to wear the front tires again. I still have til February and I'm within about 2500 miles so I will have it repaired again N/C.

BTW I took the documents from the warranty work back to the owner of the first dealership and confronted the owner and told him how I was treated by his service manager, and he assured me the quarterly bonus that the service manager gets according to sales and customer satisfaction wasn't gonna come at the end of the current quarter, and I was the reason he wouldn't be getting it......

It took some research and calling but I finally got satisfaction, plus a free extended warranty, and no it shouldn't be up to the customer to find out about recalls and customer complaints but if you want it fixed as has been already said this is the way to do it

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 10-08-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
This has been happening since around 2000. GM lost their customer service, they hired cheap labor for Service Managers, and their corporate offices are staffed to be politically correct. End result was a bunch of pissed off customers, customer loyalty sank, GM continued to hire non-automotive people to run their company, and customers swore off GM products forever. If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a recipe for bankruptcy. No wonder GM stock went from $94.00 a share in 1999 to being worthless in 2009.

As for your problem, start with Customer Service, at least they will contact the dealership directly and get an answer from them. 99% of the time, they will get the same answer you already got from the dealership, but this is where you have to start.

Next, whatever the problem is, do a search on the web for the problem. You will find databases of recalls and TSB's (technical service bulletins) about the problem you have, assuming it's a problem that's occurred in other people's cars. If you find a specific TSB about the issue you have, PRINT OUT the TSB and take it to the dealership with you. The GM Service Managers won't lift a finger to help you. Most of them came from working the counter at Taco Bell or McDonald's.

When I had a problem that Oldsmobile couldn't fix, I did a web search, and found over 50 complaints about the EXACT same issue I had, and this issue is what the Oldsmobile Service Manager claimed "Gee.....never heard of this problem before". Turns out there was a TSB issued every year for the past 5 years about the problem on my Oldsmobile.

This is America today. You have to do the legwork yourself. Most workers are too busy watching the clock, texting friends, and trying to sneak out early to play a round of golf to care about customer service anymore. You have to step up and press the issue, because no one at GM cares anymore.

The dealers are very independent from the corporate GM. The issue you had was with the DEALER. NOT GM.

That said, GM doesn't offer much support to the dealers which needs to change.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Suspended

Not to mention that right after the United States took control, GM literally doubled their parts prices. Over $200. a piece for late model Silverado shocks??!! WTF?? They can go screw theirselves. Buying a set of KYB shocks for 2 bills.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm thinking the should change it to GOLDWRENCH parts, from goodwrench........................

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had a Pontiac dealer who was great, now they are gone and the local chebby dealer is clueless. My wife's Bonny now goes to an independent that has all the diagnostic tools and knows how to use Google to find a problem before he digs in too deep.

Not the neatest shop I have ever been to, but he has always done right by us.

-H

Old 10-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOPcollector View Post
Not to mention that right after the United States took control, GM literally doubled their parts prices. Over $200. a piece for late model Silverado shocks??!! WTF?? They can go screw theirselves. Buying a set of KYB shocks for 2 bills.
Those are the cheap ones.
The good ones are $635.00 each.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOPcollector View Post
They don't call it a stealership for nothing.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Senior Chief

What are you having for a repeat problem that cant be fixed?

Old 10-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgto View Post
Been having trouble out of a G/M Dealership and everytime the vehicle goes in they can't find the problem, the vehicle comes back not fully put back together or they brake something on it. I've talked to the service manager and the general manager and it seems they don't give a sh??. Does anyone know how to get in touch with G/M to file a formal complaint.
Go right to the top. Call the white house switchboard and ask for the lawn jockey.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
The dealers are very independent from the corporate GM. The issue you had was with the DEALER. NOT GM.
B-U-L-L-C-R-A-P.If comes from the top.14th floor to be exact.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgto View Post
working at a gm dealership i hate to hear/read alot of this. unfortunately some of it does ring true. i like to think that our dealership we try to put the customer first and make them happy with quality work and not to horrid of pricing. gm has gotten out of hand on prices of a lot of there parts i will agree. what seems to be the issue with your car? i am the parts manager at the dealership and have access to all service bullitins and TSB. let me know if i can find one for you.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The biggest problem with customer service on the dealer level is that EVERYONE is on comission other than office staff, and maybe the lube guys. The techs only get paid for billable hours, and do nothing more than what it takes to get the car out the door and on to the next one. Service managers & writers get a small base pay + comission, and sometimes combined with a bonus at the end of the year.

The customer reams the owner, and the owner reams the writer & manager.

The writer or manager do something to make the customer happy and he gets reamed for costing the owner money. Double edged sword.

In sales, if theres a slow month or 2 with little foot traffic on the lot and/or can't get people to buy, then it's not uncommon to can the sales manager and put someone else in.

I've been involved in service management, parts management, and as a tech. That's the bottom line of how it works there. The owner will play more of a role in the customer service than he would ever acknowledge. As the owner of my own company now, I can say that I can do much more for my customers than when I was able to at the Ford dealership, but then again I don't make as much money this way either...

Old 10-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple more things to keep in mind:

1) The manufacturer usually will only pay a warranty claim if a part is replaced, so if a car is not acting up, and you're out driving the car around, then you are working for free. Needless to say that these guys aren't working for free. And the dealership owner typically won't pay the tech to chase his tail either.

...And it's very common nowadays with these high tech cars to act up intermittantly. We usually always have a car or 2 hanging out waiting for them to act up.

2) Warranty doesn't pay as much time as customer pay jobs, so the dealership will try to get out of warranteeing something any chance they get.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJUNTOM View Post
Couple more things to keep in mind:

1) The manufacturer usually will only pay a warranty claim if a part is replaced, so if a car is not acting up, and you're out driving the car around, then you are working for free. Needless to say that these guys aren't working for free. And the dealership owner typically won't pay the tech to chase his tail either.

...And it's very common nowadays with these high tech cars to act up intermittently. We usually always have a car or 2 hanging out waiting for them to act up.

2) Warranty doesn't pay as much time as customer pay jobs, so the dealership will try to get out of warranteeing something any chance they get.
This is the way it was when I worked at a Pontiac dealership in the 70's.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge