Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Tranny Problems?

Hi Guys:

I'll try this in the Street section because it is a street car.

When I went to town this morning I noticed the tranny, 4L60E, seemed to be shifting softly and later than it was when I took my wife to work 2 hours earlier.

I checked the fluid and it is red and didn't smell burned. The tranny pulls into Drive from Neutral with its usual satisfying clunk but then seems to be softer on the take off and feels like it is reving a little higher at a given speed than it did.

This is the second tranny in the car. It was build by a very reputable shop and has run beautifully with a custom 2100 stall HD convertor. I took the car to Ottawa last week (2000 km round trip) and there was nary a problem.

I'll be dropping the pan this weekend to see if there is crap in it but first off:

Are there any other things that I can look for that could cause the tranny to suddenly start to shift softer (not exactly a rolling shift but close) and later? Like maybe the TPS or a temp sensor malfunctioning.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanx guys, Stewart

1976 TA, nose converted to 1970 style, 406, ported #13 Heads, '70 iron intake without crossovers, Q-Jet - Cliff style, RARE OS manifolds, Pypes duals w/crossflow, UD 230/238 custom HR 4/7 swap cam with solid roller lifters , Hydro-Boost 4-wheel discs, 4 Speed, 3.23 posi.

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” - Winston Churchill
Old 09-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf'sDad View Post
Hi Guys:

I'll try this in the Street section because it is a street car.

When I went to town this morning I noticed the tranny, 4L60E, seemed to be shifting softly and later than it was when I took my wife to work 2 hours earlier.

I checked the fluid and it is red and didn't smell burned. The tranny pulls into Drive from Neutral with its usual satisfying clunk but then seems to be softer on the take off and feels like it is reving a little higher at a given speed than it did.

This is the second tranny in the car. It was build by a very reputable shop and has run beautifully with a custom 2100 stall HD convertor. I took the car to Ottawa last week (2000 km round trip) and there was nary a problem.

I'll be dropping the pan this weekend to see if there is crap in it but first off:

Are there any other things that I can look for that could cause the tranny to suddenly start to shift softer (not exactly a rolling shift but close) and later? Like maybe the TPS or a temp sensor malfunctioning.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanx guys, Stewart
What car? What computer/electronics package is controlling the trans?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
What car? What computer/electronics package is controlling the trans?
This one is in my '96 Impala SS. Stock '95 OBDI conversion PCM with programming.

Stewart

1976 TA, nose converted to 1970 style, 406, ported #13 Heads, '70 iron intake without crossovers, Q-Jet - Cliff style, RARE OS manifolds, Pypes duals w/crossflow, UD 230/238 custom HR 4/7 swap cam with solid roller lifters , Hydro-Boost 4-wheel discs, 4 Speed, 3.23 posi.

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” - Winston Churchill
Old 09-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My apologies, I've offended the Forum by posting a question not specifically related to traditional Ponchos.

I just figured with all the expertise here I could find an answer to my problem.

Stewart

Old 09-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stewart,I feel your pain. There are only a few here that will answer OD tranny questions. I'm in the middle of a 700r4/4L60 rebuild myself,and not as many people have answers though.
You might want to try this forum also.
http://www.700r4l60e.com/forum/
I've gotten some help there too.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
Stewart,I feel your pain. There are only a few here that will answer OD tranny questions. I'm in the middle of a 700r4/4L60 rebuild myself,and not as many people have answers though.
You might want to try this forum also.
http://www.700r4l60e.com/forum/
I've gotten some help there too.
Thanx for the link. I'll check it out.

I got lucky with some guys on the ImpalaSS Forum and I may not have a dying tranny. It may be just be a Pressure Control Solenoid. I can only hope. I've got to get a tranny pressure gauge to hook up for diagnostic purposes though.

Stewart