Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-17-2010, 02:53 PM

Default Pontiac machine shops in the west

Hello all,

I've got a '69 400 block that I'm wanting to use for a stroker build. I guess I agree with most on here that recommend using a shop that routinely builds Pontiacs rather than the local shop that probably builds 90% chevys. I live in Northern Nevada, and wouldn't mind driving to Northern Cal, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, or Southern NV.

My question is this. Is there a reputable shop to do my machine work within an 8 hour drive, or will I need to ship my engine to one of the well known Pontiac shops in the midwest or east coast?

I've never shipped anything that big, so I don't know how difficult it is, how much it costs, etc.

Any advice?

Old 08-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Come to Utah I will build it for you.......

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 08-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Pontiac performance Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadagoat View Post
(snip) I've never shipped anything that big, so I don't know how difficult it is, how much it costs, etc. Any advice?
Shipping even a bare block can be kind of expensive because it is too heavy to ship FedEx Ground. You are probably just as well off personally driving it somewhere within the 8hr limit drive.

I've no one to recommend in Pahrump or Las Vegas. The machine shop in Pahrump that I had trained over the years had to close up due to the stinkin economy. The next engine I do, I'll ship to Wilhite Performance in Derby, KS.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:26 PM

Jack: Who do you use in SLC for your machine work? Do you do it in house or farm it out?

Craig H.O.: I wondered if there was a Vegas option. Sounds like maybe not.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Craig H.O.: I wondered if there was a Vegas option. Sounds like maybe not.
I'm sure there are some good automotive machine shops in Vegas, just none that specialize in Pontiacs--or Packards for that matter (the other orphan "P" brand that I restore). It's too easy for a "good" machine shop to make one mistake on a Pontiac (or Packard) that will really mess you up. As you have figured out, there is no substitute for specialization and brand-specific experience.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:45 PM

IF you are willing to drive or ship to San Pedro, CA, then you could use Ken "Ace" Brewer's Pacific Performance Racing shop.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jack Ferris will do you right. Why not just let him supply the block? That is, if it is not something real special for a numbers type deal. It might be cheaper than shipping it 2 ways. Just a thought. I found one here on Craig's list for 100 bucks-good 1969, 400block.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
Why not just let him supply the block? That is, if it is not something real special for a numbers type deal. It might be cheaper than shipping it 2 ways.

Yeah, I'm not married to the block I have, so if it would be cheaper, I'd consider another starter block.

I thought about Ace Brewer, as he's the only one I know of on the west coast, but he's over 600 miles away, so I'd probably ship it anyway.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Senior Chief

I am not aware of any Pontiac only machine shops in Northern California but I have had good experience with Watson Racing. Not sure what kind of work you are looking for but I know they build a good number of Pontiac engines that range from street to full race. They have a lot of experience stock and super stock engines of all brands.

71 Firebird, best 1/8th mile time of 5.02 at 142 at altitude in Vegas
Old 08-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jack has worked on my engine and other Pontiac guys I know of here. He does a great job and stands behind it.
The machine shop he uses does great work as well and has lots of Pontiac experience. They balanced my assembly to within .5 gram.
What heads are you using with the build? Race or street?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I am not aware of any Pontiac only machine shops in Northern California but I have had good experience with Watson Racing. Not sure what kind of work you are looking for but I know they build a good number of Pontiac engines that range from street to full race. They have a lot of experience stock and super stock engines of all brands.
I'm looking for the usual block prep for a street/strip 4.25 stroke buildup. Check the block, .030 bore, hone, crank clearance, deck, etc. Oil galleys tapped? I suppose if they've already got my rotating assembly, I may also have them assemble the bottom end if it's not too much more $.

Where is Watson Racing? Most of Northern California is within decent driving range.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
Jack has worked on my engine and other Pontiac guys I know of here. He does a great job and stands behind it.
The machine shop he uses does great work as well and has lots of Pontiac experience. They balanced my assembly to within .5 gram.
What heads are you using with the build? Race or street?
I've got a pair of E-heads that KRE did their 310 cfm port work on that will go on the engine. The engine will then go into my '67 GTO. I'm a beginner at the drags, but starting to get into it, and won the small sportsman bracket last Sunday at a local 1/8th mile strip. Soo.. I'll be racing it some, but also want to be able to cruise it around town a little on summer weekends and have some street manners.

Jack, I got your PM, and may be in touch. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look up Hewes machine shop in Reno, NV. They do quality work. There's another guy in Fallon I can get his # if ya like.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPushrod View Post
Look up Hewes machine shop in Reno, NV. They do quality work. There's another guy in Fallon I can get his # if ya like.
I see Hewes in the phone book and I've heard there's some quality shops in Fallon that do a lot of work for the guys out at Top Gun, but don't know the names and if they do many Pontiacs. Seems like I see mostly BBC's in Fallon cars.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Xsivpwr on the board had hewes do work for him. Ask him also.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Midway Engines in Salinas is a good shop, not sure if thats close enough, but Steve does some good Pontiac machine work, he can be contacted @ 831.424.6370

Armando (CCR) in Sunnyvale does good crankshaft work, he can be contacted @ 650.342.0568

Sounds like Hewes in Reno is worth looking into...

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 08-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pm me for more info. I have a few places for ya.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPushrod View Post
Pm me for more info. I have a few places for ya.
Mr. Pushrod,

PM Sent.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Any others?

Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455firebird1969 View Post
Midway Engines in Salinas is a good shop, not sure if thats close enough, but Steve does some good Pontiac machine work, he can be contacted @ 831.424.6370.
Mapquest says Salinas is 480 miles. That could work. Catch a Giants game on the way home?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I'm looking for the usual block prep for a street/strip 4.25 stroke buildup. Check the block, .030 bore, hone, crank clearance, deck, etc. Oil galleys tapped? I suppose if they've already got my rotating assembly, I may also have them assemble the bottom end if it's not too much more $.

Where is Watson Racing? Most of Northern California is within decent driving range.
Watson Racing is in Concord CA, here is a link to their website. http://www.watsonracingengineering.com/

The guy that runs the shop is Mike Blackstone and is an active SS racer. The person that works with him doing most of the leg work is named Pete and he is a Pontiac guy. They may be a little more expensive then other shops but I haven't had to bring stuff back like I have with other shops.

71 Firebird, best 1/8th mile time of 5.02 at 142 at altitude in Vegas