Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Quick work on my 70

Since the 65 is still in the shop and I have a ways to go before I can paint it, I need something to drive and my 70 was just to damn ugly to go cruising. So rather than just waiting for the right time to do everything, I figured I would do as much as I could in a short period of time. Fix the visible rust, bump the big dents, patch the floors in a couple places, swap the Th400 back under it, and throw some 670 heads on the 455, then paint it either black or the original Palomino Copper. I know a 455 wit 670 heads and flat top pistons wont run long on pump gas, but this is the GTO I have running ethanol. It can handle the compression easily on the yeast pee.

It was all messed up when I got it, and I never had the time or place to fix the body until now. So it was always sprayed with rattle cans just to keep it from rusting. It is lots of fun getting that crap off a car. This is a temporary fix for the most part, after the 65 is done this one will get the full frame off and everything fixed on it with a new interior like the 65 is getting now. I just want a cruiser and it doesnt have to be a show car, just look decent from twenty feet or so.

It has been sitting or rolling around my yard for the last 5 years, barely driven and only to test the Qjet tune in that time. The weather hasnt been kind, and if I dont get to the rust and leaks soon I will have a car as bad as the 65 was before long. Besides I want to take it out and drive it again, the 98 Formula just doesnt have the same feeling as the GTO.

So after two days of sanding, this is where it is. I need to pull the grilles, door handles, locks, rear bumper, and headlights but I can do that after I get most of the paint off.

This the ethanol fueled 455 that seems to love the stuff, and it starts easily and idles pretty darn good considering it has no choke. It needs a bit of tidying up, I will take care of that when I swap out the 5C heads for the 670 set. It really didnt take much to get this thing running on ethanol. The 670 heads are going on to see how much of a difference they will make in mileage, but I dont expect much with a Th400 and 3.42 gears. Just want to see how it runs and find out more about it.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HEY..is that ole Pontiac for sale?

how many times ya been asked that..i see the not for sale sign..just being a smart ass...

Old 08-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All the damn time. Usually its the guys who come by and tell me they will give me $500 for it like they are doing me a favor.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455_GTO View Post
All the damn time. Usually its the guys who come by and tell me they will give me $500 for it like they are doing me a favor.
I'll give you $600.

Are you stripping the paint using a DA?? Why didn't you use chemical stripper? Probably could make the job go alot faster.
looks like a pretty solid car, good luck with it!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 PM

Looks like a great start. That rattle can paint usualy gums up paper and is a bitch to strip off that way.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HOW much for that nice red camaro in the back ground???is that one of thise rare convertible prototype YANKOs?

man am i bored...nice work on the GTO...it takes alot of work to stip a car with a DA...been there done that...

Old 08-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am using a DA and chem stripper, there is so much paint on the thing that it takes 5 applications to get down to the factory primer. Some parts of the rattle can paint gums up the paper, but not all of it. It takes forever when there is this much paint on a car. The yellow and a couple other layers come off easy with the chem, then its DA after rinsing it off. Last summer I painted the blue 79 Formula, and the yellow 79 TA, each took about three weeks. Before that it was my 67 Cougar that took 3 years and my 76 C10 that took two weeks but I didnt do any body work to speak of on it. I have done lots of sanding with a DA.. lots and lots... And to think I am an engine and transmission builder, not a body man.

Thats the next project. Its a creampuff! Its a super rare Z56, double what a Z28 is and it had an Oldsmobile hemi in it brand new!

Ok really the Camaro is a parts car. Its rear frame rails are going under the yellow 79 TA since it has bad rust under there. The steering box is going to the 65 GTO, the lower door jambs near the rockers are going to get cut out to repair parts of the 72 Formula, the subframe is going under the 77 Formula I have sitting in Nebraska, and the rear end will probably end up under one of the others so I can move it around, unless it happens to be a posi, which I doubt. The steering column is going to provide parts to fix my postmasters 79 Z28 and the seat racks are probably going to end up in my 10th Anniversary TA since it had broken ones in it when I got it.

I get lots of use out of a parts car.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice looking Camaro!

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hear ya on the parts car...usually when im done with one its just a pile of metal laying on the shop floor, and doesnt resemble a car...i take EVERYTHING i can thats good...lots of work but hard work never hurt anyone...good luck on the project, update the pics when ya can!

Old 08-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Four more hours of sanding, the longest part of the job. Pulling the shiny stuff next and then finish the sanding. I have been doing projects with the kids so I am not spending as much time on the Goat. They are going home next week, after I get back I can really start moving on this one and the 65. You have looked at the 65 thread in that section havent you? It was a little rougher than this one is.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pulled the glass, handles, and grille from it and started sanding some more. What fun it is getting a car to bare metal.

Here is the rust that needs attention..

Old 08-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The incredible disappearing front end! Got most of the sanding done, started pulling it apart to fix dents and rust. Its not coming any farther apart than this, and once the fenders are done, they are going back on.

It was easier to get to the dent on the body line by pulling the drivers fender, and then it was so much easier to work on the rust hole in it that I pulled the pass fender too. Both came off quite easily, only two of the clips spun on the drivers side, non on the other. I laid out a piece of tape for a reference and started moving the dent back out, in about two hours I got to where it is pretty close, but still needs attention. The line isnt quite straight yet, but it will be soon.

You can see the dent I am talking about real good in this pic. Right above the front wheel. Oh and the paint showed up yesterday, its going back to its original Palomino Copper, not my favorite color but it isnt red, blue, yellow, or white like everything else in my yard.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I got the fenders patched, the dents bumped out good enough for a skim coat, maybe a bit more filler, but not a half inch or anything. It should look decent when its done. The best part is the rust isnt too bad and I stopped it cold.

I started on the door, just a few minutes ago, then decided to take the rest of the night off. I will finish it tomorrow provided all goes well. Also going to order the stud gun so I can fix a couple dents I cant get behind. I get paid tonight so its on in the morning or if I stay up till the check is deposited.

Also started on the hood, I am letting it rest so it will flatten a bit, dont need it oil canning so no pushing on it. Someone yanked it down and bent it before I got it, I am going to repair the section and stiffen it so I dont have to do it again. If anyone ever hits my baby, I dont want to live through it anyway, so a stiff hood works for me.

So the front of the car is almost done and ready for primer, now the back half. I did get a bit of the pass quarter moved around, but it is ugly under the skin. the wheel house has been moved in a bit, so I gotta play with that. Still havent decided if i will throw a skin at it or not, I know I should, but I want it done soon, not after the snow hits.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 PM

Nice updates, keep em coming. I have the same issue with the hood haveing been kinked, what are you going to use to stiffen it up?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a Suburban hood that I use for patches, it has good structure to it, so I plan to cut that up and patch it in

Old 09-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fixed the rust and got the dents out, well mostly out.

Hit it with epoxy primer after POR15 on some rust spots.

Gray high build, blocked and more filler added to low spots, then red oxide high build that I will be blocking out as soon as I get done with this post.

Then another coat of gray, blocked and checked for low spots. If I dont find any then another coat of epoxy, lightly sanded and color. If all goes well it should be Palomino copper by Saturday and put back together by Sunday.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Boy, if you thought that was too ugly to cruise in, you wouldn't be caught dead near mine! Yeah, and funny how such an ugly car can interest so many generous buyers when it so much as leaves the yard. "you wanna sell that thing?" My favorite answer is to reach in the window (I'm usually asked when pumping gas) start it on the first crank and say "why would I?" and drive away. Guess they don't make "things" like that anymore!

Old 09-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gonna look NICE back in it's OE Palo Copper livery, Todd!

Keep up the great work!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 09-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Lloyd! Ya know, the new Hotrod Mag has an article about cars that have patina, and its in now. Just when I start painting all of mine, it comes in vogue to leave them ratty...

PAINT TIME!

Just another boring primer pic. All the blocking is done, well as much as I want to deal with this time. Temporary paint job, anyway shooting the color in the morning. A light sanding on the epoxy primer and then it gets to be copper again. Shot the epoxy at 6pm tonight.

I sanded until my brain fell out, it rolled around the dusty floor, I picked it up with a stick, tried the air nozzle to get the dust off, and decided solvent would do the trick best. I still have solvent leaking out my left ear...

Old 09-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool thread. Nice to see quick progress.