Old 07-19-2010, 04:05 PM

Default Stereo Speaker Questions

Ok, 70 GTO is finished with exception of some tunes. I dropped the coin on one of these and now I need to look into speakers.
http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/whoF.htm

In the past I have replaced the front single speaker with two 3.5" 2 ways (Build bracket/alter original) on other GM cars. This is my plan on this car.

In the rear, what can I expect to run into by installing 6x9's? Some GM vehicles in the past I ran had adapters, some didn't.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

there should be cutouts for the rear speakers on each side of the rear deck (6x9 approx. not a convertible I assume). Lots of people put after market speakers there with no problems, as I have!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Best investment sound per dollar, is the use of rear speaker boxes. Basically encloses the magnet and cone section. What it does is restore the mid and low frequencies so it doesn't disappear the minute you roll down a window. Huge difference on ordinary 6x9s.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The factory used enclosures also, not the best (cardboard with insulation) but they had the right idea!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

big picture: the worst place to listen to music is in your car. don't expect much and you won't be disappointed. a million dollar speaker and custom fit enclosure won't sound good unless you're tone-deaf and anyone who says it does is tone-deaf themselves and looking to get paid. get the best you can afford and cruise/rock on!!!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccieng View Post
big picture: the worst place to listen to music is in your car. don't expect much and you won't be disappointed. a million dollar speaker and custom fit enclosure won't sound good unless you're tone-deaf and anyone who says it does is tone-deaf themselves and looking to get paid. get the best you can afford and cruise/rock on!!!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

why the confusion?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think it's safe to assume he isn't looking for super hi fidelity in a muscle car.
You can get very nice sound reproduction for relatively little money and it doesn't have to be a boomer system either. Most non professionals make relatively simple mistakes.
The guy is asking for help, he isn't looking for a dressing down.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccieng View Post
why the confusion?
a well thought out system can and has sounded very good in my cars.i like either Kenwood or Alpine head units,i've liked the Alpine speakers i've used.used some Altec Lansing in a 73 bird that worked very well.the hard part about a car system,is if you want to hide the components,then it gets hard.component,front speakers(a 51/2-61/2 woofer and separate tweeter is the best set-up,and it's easy to put 6X9's in the rear tray.use factory grills or get the factory mesh package tray which lets the speakers play and be heard without being seen.

i run a pioneer elite receiver/with pioneer elite cd player/with Bose red line speaker systems/with a pioneer 12in powered sub.maybe not the best stuff out there but for the money a very nice sound system for a home.i've sang in many choirs,and played in several bands over the years,so not a sound technician,but think i know a little about good sound.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i guess 'good sound' is very subjective. the car is the worst listening environment you could be in: road noise, vibration, engine noise, trans whine, glass, metal and carpet/cloth everwhere with speakers that never point in the right direction. i find it futile to spend alot of money on a system when the environment is so bad. i'm not 'dressing him down' as much as trying to save him some bucks.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

very true,it is the worst place to listen.it takes as much or more thought than money.

in one of the threads a guy showed how he mounted the factory boxes to aftermarket speakers by using a bolt/stud glued to the magnet.not the worlds best,but improved the sound and hide the speaker so you couldn't tell it was aftermarket.also,i went back and saw where it was for a 70 GTO,so using the mesh tray hides the fact you are using 2 rear speakers other than the factory 1.

i would suggest looking at the crutchfield catalog,they have some very nice 6x9's and you can compare prices and specs of several speakers at one place.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:34 PM

I ordered these from Onlinestereo.com. Good prices and free shipping.

I'll give em a run and see how they do.

Rockford Fosgate P132 3.5 $45.00pr
Rockford Fosgate P1694 6x9 $65.00pr

If I was looking for "serious" tunes I would have taken a different route. I think this will fit the bill as to what I am looking for. I bought the RF brand due to some past experience.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i have never had any of thier speakers,but back in the 80's i had a couple of thier amp's.they made some good stuff at least back then.good luck,keep us informed how it works out.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:22 AM

Big roadblock on this stereo project. Modified front single speaker bracket to accept 3.5" speakers and it won't allow dash to properly seat up.

Will have some sort of revision shortly on this. I will post when I do.